Namaqualand exploring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraflight

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I have been hankering after doing a bit of exploring around Springbok, Nababeep, O’Kiep and surrounding areas but I am totally unfamiliar with the area, despite spending the first 5 years of my life in Nababeep.

I have very few memories of the place, mostly vague memories bolstered by a few old and faded black & white photographs in family albums, and stories repeated by the older generation, which I am sure have been embellished multiple times by each re-telling.

Am busy studying T4A, Google Maps and Google Earth. There appear to be a multitude of dirt roads snaking between a seemingly endless profusion of mountains and hills. Looks like this could make some very interesting riding if one carries extra fuel and prepared to camp in the wild a few nights. Boondocking as the Amricans call it. 

Any Wild Dogs living around there, or familiar enough with that region to make some positive recommendations of where to ride and where to avoid?  Also accommodation options outside of the towns? Any security concerns about solo riding there?