Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: In Tank Fuel Filter - Manky  (Read 925 times)

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

Re: In Tank Fuel Filter - Manky
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 01:21:51 pm »
The issue isn't dirty fuel....

The issue is either the lining in the plastic tank (unlikely) or the fuel pump brushes from new.

so you say the cause could be a inferior fuel pump. My bike is still relatively new. I would be most unhappy if I had to replace the fuel pump now....

Both my son and my 1190ties fuel pump filter were clogged at -+ 28000 kms. We run no prefilters at all. Replaced the filters and has since ridden another 32000mks on my bike and he has done 52000kms on his bike without any problems. I think that the tank has some debris in it from the manufacturing process.
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA

The following users thanked this post: Edgar

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 01:24:07 pm »

The issue is either the lining in the plastic tank (unlikely) or the fuel pump brushes from new.

so you say the cause could be a inferior fuel pump. My bike is still relatively new. I would be most unhappy if I had to replace the fuel pump now....

Both my son and my 1190ties fuel pump filter were clogged at -+ 28000 kms. We run no prefilters at all. Replaced the filters and has since ridden another 32000mks on my bike and he has done 52000kms on his bike without any problems. I think that the tank has some debris in it from the manufacturing process.

Could be yes.

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Offline Dolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2020, 02:36:24 pm »

Could be yes.

+1

Will have a look at mine again in another 3000km.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2020, 06:44:28 pm »
Some KTM's have issues with a white in tank release agent - I believe the 790's are meant to have a tank rinse before release to customers. The 701 appears to be a black graphite from the fuel pump brushes. I believe the gradual failure of the in-tank filter puts strain on the pump that can lead to its premature failure (rather than being shit Chinese fuelpumps as contested by many) ... but who really knows. I tossed the in-tank and fitted a serviceable Golan.

OK - I see I posted this early in the discussion. May try the E-13 in a fresh 701 we have aquired.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 06:46:26 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2020, 07:11:52 pm »
My 701's in-tank super-mini, extra virgin, bikini-weenie, smaller than thou, minute, microscopical, nano filter was also full of black residue, and the element completely shrivelled up.

OK, this was at around 33000kms when the bike started losing top end power.

Now I wonder whether the black residue does actually come from the pump brushes, as it does not happen to cars really.

The original filter is so small, don't know what KTM was thinking??

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Braaap!
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2020, 08:16:27 pm »
Be warned, I had to replace my Husky 701 Fuel Pump at 10 000km.
I bought the bike out of warranty, secondhand, and dealer wanted to charge me R7000+ to replace it.

I fought and fought and about 2 months later, they were kind enough to pass it as a warranty claim on a faulty pump.
(Only because I there my toys and spoke to head office)

If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.