X-CH & high altitude tomfoolery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lone riderer

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Spent 4 days riding Lesotho last weekend whilst my mule developed some idling issues at altitude. It started with a sudden surging idle after starting the bike after a lunch stop on day 2. The surging stopped after the next stop however the idling issues (not idling)persisted until I left high altitude. I managed to get some internets on top of Mathibeng pass and it seems the culprit may well be the Idle Actuator (adjusts the fuel air mix during pre-ignition check) not doing it's job properly due usually to 3 possible reasons:

unit faulty
starting the bike early (whilst the pre-ignition dash lights are flashing which means the necessary checks haven't completed, which I did do in a few technical places)
dirty, sticky

Hopefully in my case it is just a bit sticky and needs a clean, I will report back.

It was a lot of fun riding technical whilst keeping the idle up.

As it turns out, you can force the Idle Actuator to reset itself by opening the throttle all the way whilst the key is turned off, turning the key on for the pre-ignition test (not starting) and then off again. You will hear the actuator shifting.  I did try this but I still had issues on and off which I think is due to the actuator being sticky (and not adjusting properly) keeping in mind that in Lesotho stopping and starting typically happens on vastly different altitudes throughout the day.

8Tk9i5WrMkeU1pMWA