Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tyre repair kits  (Read 381 times)

Offline Stormer69

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
Tyre repair kits
« on: October 10, 2018, 09:36:51 am »
Morning all and sundry...

At the risk of getting choked I am apologising in advance as I can believe this has been discussed many times on the forum, but her goes...

What is the basic kit required? Any difference or preferences between the different types of plugs? Where is the best place to purchase the required? Different types of kits for different bikes?

I understand that there are many Vendors on the forum so I am just asking in general...

I am still new to this and saw on our ride on Sunday how important it is to be prepared.

any advice is welcome...

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:59:33 am by Stormer69 »

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • View Profile
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Tyre repair kits
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:02:44 pm »
We stock various kits, we are a long way from you - we ship, but maybe try someone closer first? Offroad Cycles, maybe?

1. regarding PLUGGING a puncture, some things to bear in mind:
if you buy a tubeless repair K-I-T to start with, you get all the tools to START with, as well as the glue and strings/worms/snotties, call them what you will, and only THEN when you use an item (i.e. finished/use it up), then simply replace THAT item only!

2. You MAY want to consider putting a few 'Figure 8's' into a kit that is supplied with strings/worms/snotties; reason being for a LARGER tyre cut, some people find it easier to put multiple (more than one...) Figure 8 into a larger gash as a get-me-home, the technical name is SEALASTIC, from REMA, but most call them figure 8's.

And then, for just R10 small, and R15 large, probably worth carrying just ONE 'gaitor' very useful to have in your kit, its flat, smallish, and works well in TUBED tyres mostly, but a handy bit of kit to KEEP!

Good luck!
Chris & Team

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:01:37 am by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Cracker

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 05:26:42 pm »
What does a gaitor do?

I've slashed a tyre badly before, that the tube stuck out the hole. I couldn't fix it so just stuffed it with hedges and other vegetation to get me home. Some form of tyre fix woulda helped.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Mr.T

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:08:10 pm »
Last weekend we had a ride where one of the boys front tyre had a bad cut on it in the center.
It was plugged with the various plug options and had to be replugged several times to get him home on a 60 Km ride.
The main problem that recurs as we travelled and plugged repeatedly was that the tear just got bigger every time we stopped to seal the leak.
This caused us to add more plugs to get further down the road.

This problem occurs on those tyres with a softer compound which does not hold the plug and causes more tearing as you try with another plug inserted to seal it.
One option is to fit tyres with a slightly harder compound which when plugged does not tear allowing you to get home safely.
After 240000 Km I have had many punctures and this harder tyre compound that I ride with has saved me countless times after fitting up to
7/8 plugs due to bad cuts.
Choose your tyres carefully and you will get home every time.
Ride with a softer compound and add tubes to your carry kit if you want to get home after a puncture incident where the tyre is cut badly.
Stop talking and start riding

The following users thanked this post: Stormer69

Offline GeenSand

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 07:00:01 pm »
Last weekend we had a ride where one of the boys front tyre had a bad cut on it in the center.
It was plugged with the various plug options and had to be replugged several times to get him home on a 60 Km ride.
The main problem that recurs as we travelled and plugged repeatedly was that the tear just got bigger every time we stopped to seal the leak.
This caused us to add more plugs to get further down the road.

This problem occurs on those tyres with a softer compound which does not hold the plug and causes more tearing as you try with another plug inserted to seal it.
One option is to fit tyres with a slightly harder compound which when plugged does not tear allowing you to get home safely.
After 240000 Km I have had many punctures and this harder tyre compound that I ride with has saved me countless times after fitting up to
7/8 plugs due to bad cuts.
Choose your tyres carefully and you will get home every time.
Ride with a softer compound and add tubes to your carry kit if you want to get home after a puncture incident where the tyre is cut badly.
Thanks once again for the roadside assistance MR. T

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Take nothing but photos
Leave nothing but tracks
Kill nothing but time

Offline Noneking

Tyre repair kits
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:30:08 pm »
Morning all and sundry...

At the risk of getting choked I am apologising in advance as I can believe this has been discussed many times on the forum, but her goes...

What is the basic kit required? Any difference or preferences between the different types of plugs? Where is the best place to purchase the required? Different types of kits for different bikes?

I understand that there are many Vendors on the forum so I am just asking in general...

I am still new to this and saw on our ride on Sunday how important it is to be prepared.

any advice is welcome...

Thanks for not naming and shaming........ :peepwall:

Rudamans in Nelspruit sell a nice tyre repair kit for for tubeless tyres. I do believe that this is sufficient for 99% of punctures on a tubeless tyres.

Sunday was the first time I was not able to fix a puncture roadside. The bike would've ended up on a trailer if it wasn't for @chopper pilot kindly bringing me a tube from Nelspruit.

I've had some nasty cuts before, but somehow always ended up fixing them......

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:35:32 pm by Noneking »
2018 KTM 1090 R

2017 HUSQVARNA FE 501

RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 08:06:42 pm »
What does a gaitor do?

I've slashed a tyre badly before, that the tube stuck out the hole. I couldn't fix it so just stuffed it with hedges and other vegetation to get me home. Some form of tyre fix woulda helped.

Gator is a MOERSE patch that goes on the inside of the TYRE.  Much more successful with tubes as it is also 'pressed' against the tyre. Few types available (also called 'mushrooms' I think)

For me the safest solution EVEN WITH TUBELESS is at least 2 Gators (different sizes) AND a tube.  Pick a size between front and rear size.  Stretch or wrinkle it will get you another 100 odd km home. will even work on a cracked rim.  :pot:

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Cracker

• Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 08:27:51 pm »
Thanks, Adie  :thumleft:

Now what type of shop will sell a gator? Is it a road bike type thing?

My bikes all have tubes but I would like to carry a couple of these if it'll stop the tube coming through a torn tyre.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 09:26:19 pm »
Thanks, Adie  :thumleft:

Now what type of shop will sell a gator? Is it a road bike type thing?

My bikes all have tubes but I would like to carry a couple of these if it'll stop the tube coming through a torn tyre.

Moerse lang link maar gee foto van Rema-TipTop -- dit is al wat ek deesdae gebruik.  Dit het 'n rigting

https://www.google.co.za/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beadelltours.com.au%2Fimages%2Fcommercial_kit.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beadelltours.com.au%2Frim_debate.html&docid=zOJw_qkbN0cjQM&tbnid=H-Wzar_IAVwTGM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiIj67NzPzdAhWHDewKHU0SAY0QMwiFASgTMBM..i&w=944&h=819&bih=938&biw=1920&q=tyre%20patch&ved=0ahUKEwiIj67NzPzdAhWHDewKHU0SAY0QMwiFASgTMBM&iact=mrc&uact=8

As jy 'Tyre Patch' in google tik en dan Images sal jy ook die 'muschroom' soort sien.

Ek het myne by die motor onderdele plek gekoop.

Oohh onthou okk on elke 6 odd maande nuwe buis solution te koop. Die goed verslaan/verdamp in die buis.  Ek een dag 4 papwiele gekry oor vrot solution.  dis hoekom ek nou net Tip-Top gebruik.  Kyk maar op interweb.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 09:48:17 pm »
OOhhhh,

also remember some tubes are 'unpatchable' due to the material used to make them.  I think the thick heavy duty ones require a different solution - cant find the specs now

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Cracker

• Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 10:18:10 pm »
Thanks, lad, ek sal n bietjie google ......  ;D

Offline Stormer69

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 06:51:49 am »
Thanks everyone, it seems it caused some needed discussion just to update ourselves..

@Noneking .... never will I talk out :laughing4: scared you guys dissappear too far into the distance for me to ever find you.... @chopper pilot .You offered your Sunday morning to assist a fellow rider. This is just another example of the caliber of people we have in Nelspruit :peepwall:.....

Thanks again, I will draw up my shopping list and adapt my packing layout to make provision for the basic toolkits and repair kit....

safe travels all :sip:

Offline GeenSand

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 07:01:27 am »
See if you can find some of these plugs.  they look to be good,they use rubber instead of rope. Is marketed as save for sidewall plugs..

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Take nothing but photos
Leave nothing but tracks
Kill nothing but time

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Aka Sprocket Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 03:32:48 pm »
I ust concur with mr.T, do yourself a favour and run your hands inside a tyre and "feel" the sidewall and construction of the tyre. Some tyres are so soft and pliable I would not fit them even I was given them for free..... ;)
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • View Profile
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 04:03:44 pm »
pictures of Gaitors attached.

Chris & Team
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 06:39:26 am »
Go and buy some large truck/tractor tube patches, they make good inside gaiters.

Buy the tubeless repair kits and additional worms from Midas, cheap and works.