Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Linda's tankslap, the insurance wake-up call!  (Read 2646 times)

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
Re: Ride report turns accident report, Linda and tankslap.
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 11:38:34 am »
Speedy recovery.

Great report (accident report) i always enjoy reading your stuff.

Offline lecap

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 11:58:02 am »
Speedy recovery.
I second that of course.

Fortunately both accident victims got away without major injuries.

The reasons why I question the bikes:

Wide tyres have a tendency (and a history) to cause stability problems on bikes. Everyone who ever rode a VF750F will agree. A wider front tyre for example increases kickback tendency.

The TW's suspension has relatively little travel for a DS bike and is rather soft.

I was at the scene of Toktokkie's accident only minutes after it happened. The bike lost its directional stability after passing through a series of potholes which were passed by a number of other bikes immediately prior to the accident without ill effects. The TW was sent out of control by road conditions none of a number of riders saw as dangerous or unusual.
Linda's accident seems to have occured under similar circumstances although apparently at lower speed than Toktokkie's accident.

I also ride for many years and I fell a number of times but I can tell you one thing: There is not one single wipeout which left me not knowing why I fell. If you push the limits and fall - fair enough. If your bike just bucks you off ???
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Online fixit

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 12:29:19 pm »
This thread has me gobsmacked  ???

First of all, get well soon Linda. Really sorry to hear of the misfortune.

I was in the market for getting my wife a bike, but reading threads like this makes me think otherwise.

Would really like to hear more opinions about the handling of the TW since I've never ridden one? Was this just a freak mishap, or is there perhaps a fault with the suspension on her bike?
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 12:33:34 pm »
Yes, I too am looking forward to this thick wheel vs thin wheel debate.

I was under the impression that the extra wide tyres of the TW is a benefit on rough terrain. If that turns out to be not the case then I will be keen to hear and understand why.

No doubting LeCap's technical knowledge, but I am a bit sceptical? 

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 12:39:08 pm »
Sorry it wasn't JUST a ride report. Glad you had help close by and the end result was not serious. Linda get well soon.
Like a Bat .... have a unique vision to search SUCCESS in the DARK -

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:53 pm »
Ek is baie bly Likda is okay.  Ek hoop sy is gou weer reg om die lang pad te vat saam met jou.  Sterkte.
Lourens de Lange

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 02:11:33 pm »
Yes, I too am looking forward to this thick wheel vs thin wheel debate.

I was under the impression that the extra wide tyres of the TW is a benefit on rough terrain. If that turns out to be not the case then I will be keen to hear and understand why.

No doubting LeCap's technical knowledge, but I am a bit sceptical? 

Firstly to Linda, I hope you get better real soon and get back on the pretty lil TeeWee. My wife has one and has really just started riding. I do not agree that the bike is unstable based on the times I have riden it. I have found that the stock suspension is quite stiff which is fine on smooth dirt but can be unpleasant on the bumpier surfaces. This I find is easily fixed by lowering the tyre pressure slightly. I have not found the need to adjust the suspension.

I have pushed the little bike quite hard and found no sign of instability and definately not seen the slightest sign of a tank slap. The only critisism that I have  is cornering on tar when you first climb on the bike. Because of the broader tyres you have to really pull her over to lean. This is still not a problem because you quickly become used to this. Besides the fact that the bike really is not very fast (at all) it really is a pleasure to ride, and trust me this bike can go places.

Anyhow,l sorry if this is a hijack, Mods feel free to move this to another section if you feel it is.

Great pic,s as per usual Jerry
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline redtiger

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 04:26:46 pm »
Get well soon, the TW is a great bike for especialy soft sand and I have taken one places that I would not dream of going with my GS. This just goes to proove you fall just as hard on a smaller bike as any other bike but that is part of the fun of the sport.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 07:35:31 pm »
Thanks for the report Jerrycan, and I hope Linda gets well soon and gets back in the saddle in no time at all.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Jerrycan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 08:25:13 pm »
LeCap, dunno hey,  I‚??m no qualified accident scene forensic expert specializing in motorcycle accidents on variable road surface conditions but I am not convinced the instability happened without external cause and because of an inherent design flaw overlooked by Yamaha design engineers on a bike 20 years in production and extensive use in all conditions.  My humble opinion is tank slap caused by uneven substructure in the 5 meter sand bed Linda crossed in that specific line.  Maybe if she were on a GS, or on a 50cc scrambler or in the Pajero it would not have happened, it's hard to tell.  You previously mentioned experiencing poor braking efficiency as a major flaw on the TW‚??s you ride but I can assure you that it was not a factor in this case and not even sophisticated ABS would have saved the day.

As for the TW accident you witnessed, I cannot comment since even without my calculator I would recon that there are at least 40 different lines along which a bike can cross a given spot on any road so concluding that ‚??other‚?Ě bikes made it across the same given spot without dumping their riders would be suggesting that they all aimed for the exact 15cm line out of 40 possible other lines.  If you accurately measured the velocity, tire pressure, steering head bearing condition and tension adjustments (6Nm for the TW), front suspension wear and conditions on all the bikes that crossed in any of the 40 different possible given lines before wondering about the TW design you might have had me doubting my TDub, but that would still leave us with rider reaction to bike misbehavior as a wild card.  I‚??m afraid only high speed photography from at least 4 angles could provide conclusive evidence as to what exactly happened during any specific wipe out so no, I still remain unconvinced as for design flaws leading to presumable chronic TW high siding after two reports on this forum.

I researched the TW very well since the fact that the TW still survives 20 years after introduction really fascinated me.  There‚??s a forum dedicated to TW‚??s where actual TW riders across the world comment on their TW‚??s and their shortcomings and I did not pick up any specific tendencies that would indicate bad steering geometry design overlooked by Japanese engineers 20 years down the line that can be questioned with authority by me or anybody not specializing in TW steering characteristic research.  If anything, all TW riders wish they could convince the Yam engineers to fit a bigger fuel tank to the TDubs.

I am equally not really convinced that Linda would have done better on any other bike weighing more than 126kg‚??s like a 950 Katoom or GS Adventure given her physical build and ability, the places where we have been and the road conditions we have covered so far and bru, I really do not think doing 60 on a gravel road is (ab)using a TW‚??s off road abilities and do not regard the TW as a DS bike, but rather as a true adventure bike offering disposability, reliability, simplicity and ruggedness in lieu of speed, comfort and complicated electronics.

About tire width, I found that to keep the TW's 126kgs planing on the sand on those wide tires requires less than half the speed the 650GS did.  Never had a VF750F but at 750cc I would imagine it weighed rather more than 126kgs so can we really compare the two?

I shall however investigate the addition of a steering damper for the TW or for that matter any future bike I take off the tar, coz what I've read about tank slap thus far gives me the same creeps as lightning storms and bike riding.

PS, we had Linda checked out and x-ray'd today, all is well save the carpet burns and bruises.

Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:
One dog and a bitch, on trip to Kommandodrift http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13086.0
One dog and a bitch, TW's to the sea http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13333.0

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 08:41:08 pm »
glad to hear that!

Offline TDUBitch

• Puppy
  • "make every moment count"
    • Ingenuity Marketing & Communications
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 10:39:01 pm »
Thank you fellow dawgs for all the best wishes and cares, especially thanks to PgPatrick, Sidepod and Holga for the help lended - remember to call in on a favor anytime you need one!!!

Doctor has sent me out with just some bandages and a warning to take it slow for a while - I was lucky! for a first fall it was really scary, but after weighing up all that could have gone wrong, it doesn‚??t seem so bad, never the less wouldn't recommend it! My TDUB is broken  :'( - but hopefully soon the insurance will sort her out and I will go visit the motocross gear section in the first bike shop I pass and be on the next adventure  :ricky: - if I can get the courage together. . . .

Again thanks for all the support - you dawgs are the best!!!!! and really make me feel like there is a bigger reason to it all!!!

Oh and Jerrycan if falling gets me so much attention and tlc ‚?? maybe I will take an extra week to recover (gotto make the most of a bad situation - you have really been awesome)
‚??I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again‚?Ě

Offline Boerie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 07:43:14 am »
sorry about the bike  :o always sad to see your baby in such state.
Well, at least you didn't break anything, remember, "a fall that you can walk away from is a good one" maybe you learned something through it.

enjoy the LTC  ;)
GS1150
YFZ450

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 07:56:25 am »
Glad to hear that you are well. The Another beauty of the TW is how reasonable the spares are. I am sure you will be up and riding real soon.
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 08:04:47 am »
..... all is well save the carpet burns......

Hey Jerrycan - She's a beautiful lady - no need to overshare   ;D :biggrin: ;D

Linda - heal well and hope to see you in a ride report real soon
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Holger

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 11:44:15 am »
Hey, Linda, them under-jacket roasties looked quite nasty, but trust you are recovering well.
It was no problem loaning the trailer, as I'm sure anyone in the forum would have done the same.
I'm glad you are getting a glimpse of the pleasure of DS riding, especially as a woman. I think I can vouch for most guys that it is near impossible to get the wives to go along and experience the "adventure", let alone having them ride their own steed.

Heres hoping you get back on the bike soon, and see you mastering the sand

Regards
Holger 

Offline Jerrycan

• Race Dog
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 06:16:18 pm »
..... all is well save the carpet burns......

Hey Jerrycan - She's a beautiful lady - no need to overshare   ;D :biggrin: ;D

Linda - heal well and hope to see you in a ride report real soon
Ja ja Plot, so did the doc that X-rated  her say  :biggrin:
Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:
One dog and a bitch, on trip to Kommandodrift http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13086.0
One dog and a bitch, TW's to the sea http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13333.0

Offline Jerrycan

• Race Dog
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 06:20:29 pm »
Heres hoping you get back on the bike soon, and see you mastering the sand
Regards
Holger 
Holger, I think I'm more paranoid than her at the moment, got a seriaas fright for her sake, thinking of putting the two training wheels back on my TW AND taking the back wheel off as well this time round.
Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:

Offline Brink

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Confederate (all models)
  • Knob
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 07:07:55 pm »

Ja ja Plot, so did the doc that X-rated  her say  :biggrin:
[/quote]

Now this is sharing way too much >:D :pot: :biggrin:
I know nothing but I can not prove it,,,,,

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 07:47:07 am »
Relieved to hear that it was not too serious - hope you heal soon!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com