Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Linda's tankslap, the insurance wake-up call!  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Jerrycan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
Re: Linda's tankslap, the insurance wake-up call!
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2008, 09:52:02 am »
Also a '3rd Party' excess!!!!! in other words if you stuff it up, you pay double excess.....

Yes, so dont put yourself in situations that you can stuff up. ;)
Agreed, but think a sec on how many scenarios are possible of ACCIDENTS happening without another VEHICLE being involved? Tire blow-outs, dogs, potholes, diesel spills.  Then you also pay for a qualified assessor who's supposed to know the difference in looks of a bike thrown of a lorry and a bike that tank slapped and then high sided, bru, he only need to look at the steering stopper.  Never mind the rider damage, unless Peaches jumped off the lorry WITH the bike or Linda felt like trashing her Arai for the hell of it while wearing it.

Like I said, Linda was not done in, it was all there in the fine print.  Only after an episode like this you come to realise that the insurance industry is tailored to serve the bank's interests, once the bank is sorted there zilch left of your "investment" and if it's your only transport and you are of middle income, you'll be forced to start the vicious circle again, HP with related interest, devaluation, insurance premiums and on top of all that maintenance of said vehicle.

Operator is right, you'll only know the score once you actually claim, until then we prefer to think "we're covered".  That's just the way it is.
Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:
One dog and a bitch, on trip to Kommandodrift http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13086.0
One dog and a bitch, TW's to the sea http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13333.0

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2008, 09:59:09 am »
Jerrycan, you are very objective about this ......and it is good.
Put this episode behind you and carry on........but know that you will never be caught off-guard like that again.
It is a pity that you and Linda had to go through this episode, but not only did you learn
something, but I think we all learned a lesson  (again).

By sharing this kind of info, we all become wiser and more informed.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2008, 10:06:16 am »
Ja, buy your bike cash, then no finance charges and no insurance premiums payable  :ricky:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2008, 10:12:57 am »
Ja, buy your bike cash, then no finance charges and no insurance premiums payable  :ricky:

Personally I think it is not wise to ride around without insurance.

Third party damages can (potentially) run into hundreds of R1000's of Rands in a accident and if you don't have liability cover, you could end up being financially ruined.  :deal:
Not to mention the damages to your own bike.

shark_za

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2008, 10:15:14 am »
Chat to Dirtsure, seriously.

They have a very transparent excess structure and good rates for it.

Offline Jerrycan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2008, 10:31:49 am »
Will do Shark, not many insurers are keen to do third party only but yip, agree with Operator, you need 3rd party, even more so on a cage where damage potential to someone's Porche is much greater than just on a TW.  Would be interesting to see the diffs in premiums full cover vs third party only.
Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:
One dog and a bitch, on trip to Kommandodrift http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13086.0
One dog and a bitch, TW's to the sea http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13333.0

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2008, 03:02:22 pm »
Would be interesting to see the diffs in premiums full cover vs third party only.

On my Transalp R96 v R298

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2008, 05:40:38 pm »
[These clauses that Jerrycan is talking about, is typical of motorbike-only policies.
If you insure your bike, car and housecontents together on one policy, you will usually not have all these clauses and endorsements.

[/quote]

I have no idea about motobike-only policies but when my daughter wrote off her bike which was insured with Auto & General as part of the houshold insurance there were no excess for age/licence etc I had paid cash for the bike and after excess was paid out more than it had cost me with no hassle.
Like a Bat .... have a unique vision to search SUCCESS in the DARK -