Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rev range when riding  (Read 717 times)

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Audere Est Facere
Rev range when riding
« on: October 11, 2018, 07:19:32 am »
I've noticed the 990 is a bit of a different beast to ride than the other bikes I have had in the past. It is a lot of fun and I find myself been a hooligan on her more times than I can count. I wanted to ask you guys what rev ranges do you find yourself riding in the most? Do you guys ever let it loose and push the revs up and where do you find yourself usually keeping it?

I realized this morning I'm becoming a bit vintgat on the 990 and need to start behaving a little when I'm riding through traffic....but...its...just...so...much...fuuuuuun!!

Offline Dux

Re: Rev range when riding
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:07:51 am »
Depends , being a hooligan then above 6000 , but when doing distance , tight or technical riding then I ride between 3000 and 6000 , and of course economy varies wildly depending on the weight of your right wrist but I found that 18km/lt was quite easy to get , then again 12km/lt was just as easy but a lot more fun and hard work on the dirt
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 08:25:12 am »
Depends , being a hooligan then above 6000 , but when doing distance , tight or technical riding then I ride between 3000 and 6000 , and of course economy varies wildly depending on the weight of your right wrist but I found that 18km/lt was quite easy to get , then again 12km/lt was just as easy but a lot more fun and hard work on the dirt

Mmmm...my fuel consumption has hit rock bottom. I don't even make 180km on a full tank with the way I'm riding. I realized it this morning....to much been cocky. Need to slow down.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 08:39:55 am »
It's dangerous to keep an eye on the revs! :o :imaposer:

It has a rev limiter....so don't worry....ride it like you stole it...you only live once...or get a BM! ;) :o :imaposer: :peepwall:

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Husqvarna 610 TE, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE.

Offline JC

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:43:46 am »
I keep it above 4000 RPM and mostly under 6000 RPM. they don't like being under 4000 RPM

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:56:35 am »
It's dangerous to keep an eye on the revs! :o :imaposer:

It has a rev limiter....so don't worry....ride it like you stole it...you only live once...or get a BM! ;) :o :imaposer: :peepwall:

:imaposer:  :imaposer:

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:03:02 am »
I keep it above 4000 RPM and mostly under 6000 RPM. they don't like being under 4000 RPM

+1

i find anything under 4000rpm the bike is miserable - you want to keep it at 5000rpm+

The following users thanked this post: XTZFegen

Offline iamgigglz

• The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • Good Dog Computers
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 09:28:20 am »

+1

I start getting horrible rattling noises under 3500~3800rpm, but cruising along in 2nd gear at 4000rpm+ in traffic sounds high. I find myself shifting up & down a lot to keep the drive-train happy.
P.S> I"m -1 tooth in the front which just makes it even more of a hooligan around town  >:D
www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 10:11:31 am »

+1

I start getting horrible rattling noises under 3500~3800rpm, but cruising along in 2nd gear at 4000rpm+ in traffic sounds high. I find myself shifting up & down a lot to keep the drive-train happy.
P.S> I"m -1 tooth in the front which just makes it even more of a hooligan around town  >:D

See this is what I was thinking might be my issue.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 03:22:31 pm »
The 990 is not a bike made for pottering around on, it BEGS to be ridden and ridden HARD... :lol8: :thumleft:

Mine I keep the revs up around mid range when cruising to work on a daily basis....
Long live the Underdog.........

Online Blikkies1

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 04:05:12 pm »
I mostly stick around 5000rpm but like to ring it's neck every so often but have never gone over 8000rpm. Glad to hear about the rattling under 3500rpm, I thought something was wrong with the bike and have been racking my brain trying to fault-find the issue, I even fitted a new chain and sprockets even though the old ones were in spec. Ditto on the 180km on a tank.
Off topic, I have a slight irritating wobble from 140km/h onward, I fitted a new Excel rim and new E-07, it's less pronounce now but still there so I never go over 140km/h, do you guys experience the same?

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 04:44:17 pm »
Ive hit the limiter on one or two occasions >:D but normally ride between 5000 and 6000 Rpm the 950 also does not like to be below 3500. then it rattles around. I have learnt to use the clutch if i need less or more traction.I have also got a G2 Soft throttle on my one and normally get about 260 to 270 km out of a tank , but if i ride it steadily the best I have got was 330km,
I also have a throttle lock for those long distance road runs and this works very well , I have even used it on the 355 between Springbok and Loeriesfontein it make riding very comfortable on the right hand.
Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 08:37:45 pm »
I mostly stick around 5000rpm but like to ring it's neck every so often but have never gone over 8000rpm. Glad to hear about the rattling under 3500rpm, I thought something was wrong with the bike and have been racking my brain trying to fault-find the issue, I even fitted a new chain and sprockets even though the old ones were in spec. Ditto on the 180km on a tank.
Off topic, I have a slight irritating wobble from 140km/h onward, I fitted a new Excel rim and new E-07, it's less pronounce now but still there so I never go over 140km/h, do you guys experience the same?

I get a wobble at about 180 km/h, so much so I'm scared to try ride through it. Tried moving all over the bike but it doesn't help.

I also get a slight wobble at 60, when slowing down for a stop, with both hands off the bars. Enough that I have to grab the bars again.

Just fitted a new back tyre, not an E07, so will see if it's that ...................... ::)

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Online Blikkies1

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 09:03:51 pm »
Check back in once you've had a burn, i also have a loosish wobble feeling when stopping but it's just before I come to a complete stop, probably at 5km/h, I wondering if it could be wheel beering related but there's no lateral play on the wheels.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 10:04:40 pm »
I've replaced all my bearings about 5k ago, as part of a 100k rebuild.

I've had the wobbles before and it seems to disappear at times. I think it's related to the age/wear of tyres but can't confirm yet. The thing is, it's not often I lift both hands off the bars or want to travel speeds over 180. Being on the dirt most of the time, neither seems a good idea ...............  :biggrin:

Traveling at 180 plus normally involved beer and I've recently given that up.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 10:36:55 pm »
Check back in once you've had a burn, i also have a loosish wobble feeling when stopping but it's just before I come to a complete stop, probably at 5km/h, I wondering if it could be wheel beering related but there's no lateral play on the wheels.

I have the exact same issue. Have wobble/shimmy on pull away and stopping.

I am pretty convinced it is the Heidenau K60 I fitted. The Scorpions never had a wobble. Fitted the Heidi and the next day I feel a wobble/shimmy.

I have removed the wheels to check the bearings they are all still 100%.
O have reset my suspension as per the manual.

No difference.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:38:40 pm by the_BOBNOB »

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 01:38:43 pm »

Funny i have the exact same wobble issue. From about 140km as well. It feels like it starts from the front wheel. When i feel it i k ow im at the 140 mark so i just taper off. But yes mine is the same...mmmm....i put it down to tyres as well.

Offline Jehan

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 06:02:31 pm »

Jip, agree.  I ride the same way and find it to be the best RPM range for me.  Except if you are in hooligan mode.  >:D :ricky:
If you want a real dog, get a Neapolitan Mastiff

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 09:01:48 am »
I'm keeping her in the above mentioned rev ranges and it is helping me.

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • PlastiDip is Cool.
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 09:16:58 am »

Jip, agree.  I ride the same way and find it to be the best RPM range for me.  Except if you are in hooligan mode.  >:D :ricky:
Crap.
I wasn't aware that hooligan mode had an "off" function.