Teardrop Build - not for the pedantic and purist....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R100GS / Kalahari
Right so I have been reading Google and checking foties on Pinterest and saw Grizz build his teardrop way back then and been always keen to try my hand at it. As the old moto goes - oe moeilik kan dit dan nou wees  :patch:

Word of warning this is not something I am trying to put together for concourse shows or end up a Pinterest/Instagram hero. It's going to be a quick and straight forward shell for my two boys both under 10 to do some camping this summer. I am gatvol putting tent up and down alone whilst the two hooligans have fun and don't quite understand it's not cool leaving your muddy cozzie after swiming in the dam on Dad's matress and sleeping bag  :eek:

Two months ago I looked at some images and randomly just went and bought ply and some wood to start the shell. I welded up a rectangular base in which the floor i.e. 18mm shutterply is resting. The idea is to make the teardrop independent so I can lift it off my flatbed trailer when I need it for something else. Initially I was thinking of putting eye bolts on the corners somewhere and then lift it off with block and tackle or something. Last night my Dad pointed out that four lifting legs will maybe be much easier  :deal:

Please note I have no clue as to what I am going to do inside the teardrop so my priority now is to build the shell. Yesterday afternoon after staring at all my freaking projects for 2 hours I got going.

First drew out the outer line of the camper and jigsawed the first one.
Then traced the second sheet and cut it out as close as possible.
Clamped the two sides together and took a belt sander to the edges to get it as close as possible.
I have a pneumatic nail/stapler gun so after cutting the cross beams got my wife and boys to hold it in position and just tack together for a start. It will be screwed on properly when I have the skeleton as close as I want it to be in case I have to take things apart.

So three hours in .........

Attachments

• IMG_7729_w.JPG
    IMG_7729_w.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 1,165
  • IMG_7730_w.JPG
    IMG_7730_w.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,169
  • WLQD4641.JPG
    WLQD4641.JPG
    391.8 KB · Views: 1,171