Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Triumph Scrambler - 21" Front wheel, longer travel suspension, looks great.  (Read 3000 times)

Offline blauth

For the record, I've owned 6 x 900cc Bonnevilles of the previous generation (2001 T100, 2006 T100, 2011 T100, 2006 Scrambler, 2007 Scrambler & 2010 Scrambler) and five of them have been the most reliable bikes I have ever owned.  One was just a Monday/Friday bike and I owned it for all of a week before I sold it.

I am comfortable to say that there isn't another bike that has even come close in terms of reliability, even my Honda TA650. Even that had small things go wrong with it.

Best of the lot was the 2001 T100 Bonneville.

This 1200 will be solid as a rock and with it's lowish COG, it will ride well too I think. Looks like a proper winner.

Offline Dux

For the record, I've owned 6 x 900cc Bonnevilles of the previous generation (2001 T100, 2006 T100, 2011 T100, 2006 Scrambler, 2007 Scrambler & 2010 Scrambler) and five of them have been the most reliable bikes I have ever owned.  One was just a Monday/Friday bike and I owned it for all of a week before I sold it.

I am comfortable to say that there isn't another bike that has even come close in terms of reliability, even my Honda TA650. Even that had small things go wrong with it.

Best of the lot was the 2001 T100 Bonneville.

This 1200 will be solid as a rock and with it's lowish COG, it will ride well too I think. Looks like a proper winner.

I have worked on quite a few of the Triumph range , no more problems than one would experience from other brands and they tend to be fun to ride as well , in my mind there is nothing better than taking a bike for a ride and to return grinning from ear to ear
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Dux

really beautiful piece of machinery  :thumleft:

two things that I find interesting:
1) parallel twin motor with 270deg crank, seems to be all the rage these days  :ricky:

2) why make it a 1200 if you only want 66kW out of it (not sure how they get that little out of a modern 1200) why not go for a smaller capacity and keep the same output?

Triumph had the 270 crank on the previous generation Scrambler as well as the cruiser models , Yamaha had a 270 crank on some of their TDM850/900 models , so nothing new  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS

1) parallel twin motor with 270deg crank, seems to be all the rage these days  :ricky:

2) why make it a 1200 if you only want 66kW out of it (not sure how they get that little out of a modern 1200) why not go for a smaller capacity and keep the same output?

This way you get a totally unstressed engine that could give you lots of miles. Also docile because of low compression ratios.

Donít forget the 110nm. Will ride like a dream. Stick it in top gear and cruise through everything

And I reckon, similar to the Guzzi, it must be easier with a modest power output to conform to the enviro regulations, while still using a relatively neat exhaust system.  ???
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Still Here - amazed and lucky.

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
mmmm this could swing me away from a KTM in the near future, I like the look of these bikes.
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline hedleyj

Now this is one that may have to find itself in my garage.

Been drooling over 1090 orange but this is different.
I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
I think I have just fallen in love.

Offline hugh101

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
"a wise man has money in his head but not in his heart"-Johnathan Swift
Bmw 1150 GSA
Bmw  RnineT
Honda CTX 200 bushlander "bosbulletjie" sold
F 650 gs

Offline Dux

I think I have just fallen in love.

Agree , I can see myself riding off into the sunset on an XE  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline andrew5336

Offline blauth

So, in contrast to the marketing strategy of the Africa Twin, KTM 790, KTM 390 Adv and the Yamaha T7, where there were teasers for years in advance, this bike was rumored but not hyped and now is released and looks friggin outstanding.

Quite frankly, I'd be a little surprised if it's not as good as those bikes as an adventure bike.....without all the melodrama and it's available almost immediately.

There's a market differentiation right there between Triumph and the other manufacturers. Less talk, more action.

Offline blauth

Racing Baja 1000!

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/triumph-scrambler-1200-xe/

And check out the list of changes they are going to do to the bike for the Baja 1000, just about fark all.

'Ready to Race' comes to mind!!!    :imaposer:     Jeez, how to steal the thunder from another brand.

Offline blauth

And the wheels are tubeless, outer rim laced, like the BMW GS.   :thumleft:

Dry weight 207kg. Not a feather weight but not a scale destroyer either.

Offline hugh101

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
I wonder what the pricing is gonna be like?
upper 200k ish pushing R300k? :peepwall:
"a wise man has money in his head but not in his heart"-Johnathan Swift
Bmw 1150 GSA
Bmw  RnineT
Honda CTX 200 bushlander "bosbulletjie" sold
F 650 gs

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.

This way you get a totally unstressed engine that could give you lots of miles. Also docile because of low compression ratios.

The yamaha S10 1200 gives 80+kW from its para twin 270deg and that motor will last forever too, so Triumph really were extremely conservative.

I'm not a power monkey (geez I ride a DR) but I'm just saying that I think they could have got away with something smaller in there
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
Triumph had the 270 crank on the previous generation Scrambler as well as the cruiser models , Yamaha had a 270 crank on some of their TDM850/900 models , so nothing new  :thumleft:

:thumleft:  thanks Dux
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Lou1

I love what they are doing with the spokes wheels that are actually tubeless. 

By placing the spokes on the outside. (off center)

Will be interesting to see how that idea works out.

But love the retro Scrambler idea. These bikes are ideal to personalize in a thousand ways.   :thumleft:

Offline blauth

The yamaha S10 1200 gives 80+kW from its para twin 270deg and that motor will last forever too, so Triumph really were extremely conservative.

I'm not a power monkey (geez I ride a DR) but I'm just saying that I think they could have got away with something smaller in there

It's an existing powerplant. Would have just cost more to manufacture another engine. They do have the smaller engine 900 engine but they probably cost similar to manufacture and weigh about the same.

Offline Fransw

Love the scramblers! Impressive 16k service intervals. This thing will last forever!.. :thumleft:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
I would change mine to a single exhaust pipe. The double takes up too much space.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za