Namibia DRIVE report, the Landy made it back!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Thought I would share our recent trip with you guys after being helped with the route ( https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=227705.0). I believe there will be some good information for others if they plan routes in future also.

So our initial plan was to buy an SUV next year and do a proper Namibia trip. Life happens while me make plans and they stole my old Isuzu bakkie beginning of the year. We bought the Landy (my wife demanded a 7 seater and I have since come to love it)  and sommer decided lets do the trip this year already. I had to do a ton of prepping, roof rack and tent and such but fortunately got most things secondhand. Even had a drawer system thrown into the deal. We had to draw a line somewhere with the expenses so did the trip with a coolbox and not a freezer and also opted for a tent and not a rooftop tent as well as a blow-up matras and not proper self inflating matrasses with stretchers. Irritating at times but we managed (except for my back! I am getting old!)

The reason my wife demanded a 7 seater 4x4 was because she was tired of being left home when I go on bike trips after we got the children. Therefore this report is propably not rated Wilddog adventure driving and will be a lot of focus on my family and on the new Landy. a lekker softy report where I complain about corrugated roads, fuel consumption and Lollos.

First pic is my setup. I put the tent on the roof and fastened it with one Rox strap. Worked well. Also took of the Jerry cans from the holder and used that platform on top for wood. (another wilddog cracked his sunroof poking it with wood). I got the ladder as part of all the secondhand stuff, would not have bought it otherwise and would have had a tough time without it. The car was pretty much packed to the brim. I don't know how a trip like this could be done in a smaller vehicle, and it wasn't even an extreme trip.

We set off Friday after work, crossed the border and slept the first night at Grunau. Someone told me to rather buy meet at Grunau than at Luderitz....not happening or I completely missed Grunau CBD. We set of on the C12 and enjoyed the first of Namibia's famed good gravel roads(LIES LIES LIES). We made good progress and stopped at a new Padstal somewhere around Holoog. Spoke to the lady and she said they gave up farming, tourism was easier and better. Also got told the road is closed further on and we have to take the D545. The children enjoyed the Padstal which was set up pretty well with all the Namibia roadstall prerequisite old car wrecks. Also stopped at Seeheim just to see if the Hotel was rebuild. Front of it was fine but behind the big building facing you you could still see the damage. They seemed to be fully functioning and 'normal' though.

Tar road to Luderitz got long and boring so we pulled over for some more photos and for the children to get rid of some energy. We enjoyed the first scenery of all the 'open-ness' and the promise of what was still to come. We then stopped, refuelled and bough some supplies at Aus which wasn't stocked to bad, good meat and Coffee as well and got to Luderitz in good time

Attachments

• IMG_20181013_094956.jpg
    IMG_20181013_094956.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_20181012_120108.jpg
    IMG_20181012_120108.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 779
  • IMG_20181013_125321.jpg
    IMG_20181013_125321.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_20181013_095426.jpg
    IMG_20181013_095426.jpg