Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa 2018  (Read 1917 times)

Offline BLK

Re: Roof of Africa 2018
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 03:49:36 pm »
Weird, all the feedback I've read from the riders themselves seemed to be positive... or at least an improvement over last year.

I am not saying it was a bad event, just that it is not what it used to be.The tracks were good and there was a new venue for the RTH prologue, which was a good change. You though need top international riders, you need good media coverage and tracking support, and you need enthusiastic spectators in numbers.

BTW - We even had skommy abusive pissed spectators putting rocks and bushes on race lines to prevent riders getting through and so advantage their own riders. They literally had a brawl on the pass trying to beat up a toppie who called them out on it - after calling him 'a mothers p*es'. Luckily his son was there to see them off. All of this in full view of about 50 spectators at Ramabata  :o

They need to find out who the rider was of those bad folk(Causing !@#$) and ban him from the next 5 x races.Gotta set an example to the illiterate.

Offline Buff

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 03:50:12 pm »
I hear you BD but low spectator volumes could also be attributed to the current state of our economy. It's one of the reasons I wasn't there this year, I can only stretch a Rand so far  :(

Agree - the economy certainly plays a role. Even more reason to up the stakes to keep the event alive and popular.

Did your laaitie race again this year?
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 09:15:41 pm »
I hear you BD but low spectator volumes could also be attributed to the current state of our economy. It's one of the reasons I wasn't there this year, I can only stretch a Rand so far  :(

Agree - the economy certainly plays a role. Even more reason to up the stakes to keep the event alive and popular.

Did your laaitie race again this year?

No - he has been studying etc.this year. We went and spectated together on Husky 630 and 701. Was a blast  :thumleft: Josh certainly suffered some FOMO and wants to be there in the thick of things again next year.  :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 01:22:15 pm »
Weird, all the feedback I've read from the riders themselves seemed to be positive... or at least an improvement over last year.

I am not saying it was a bad event, just that it is not what it used to be.The tracks were good and there was a new venue for the RTH prologue, which was a good change. You though need top international riders, you need good media coverage and tracking support, and you need enthusiastic spectators in numbers.

BTW - We even had skommy abusive pissed spectators putting rocks and bushes on race lines to prevent riders getting through and so advantage their own riders. They literally had a brawl on the pass trying to beat up a toppie who called them out on it - after calling him 'a mothers p*es'. Luckily his son was there to see them off. All of this in full view of about 50 spectators at Ramabata  :o

WTF?????

Where was this? I raced and luckily did not lose track due to kak like that. Would have been furious.
Or did I lose the track and did not even notice? Everywhere I went spectators pointed out he correct lines.

Offline Half - Bac

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 02:22:19 pm »
Unfortunately while the riding was good some aspects have slipped again - why they have not managed to keep Daryl Curtis aboard as race director baffles me (he was spectating and camping near us at Ramabanta). He was such a good ambassador for the event last year and the logistics were excellent. He is globally respected in the sport and they could not ask for more.

This year the spectator maps were like children's join-the-dots colouring in books - pathetic in the extreme! No pre-race video promos, no hype for followers and spectators, no decent website updates etc. Really it is time there was succession before the ...  eehrr ... Luck runs out completely. The rider numbers were dramatically down and NO professional international riders - there were about 20 of the worlds top extreme enduro riders last year?  Spectator numbers were thus proportionately down.  ROA needs to get it together and get on the new WESS circuit before it slides more.  :-\

This is the unfortunate part of the ROA. Most complaints re organisation come from the spectator group, which is the same group that contribute ZERO to the organisational costs. The general concensus from the riders, Teams, Team Management, sponsors et al is that the organisation, route layout and difficulty, locations, RTH etc were spot on - the best in many years! For once, Peter Luck deserves some credit, IMO
Half - Bac
Commercial Manager  - Yamaha Motorcycles
Yamaha Super Tenere World Crosser, Yamaha Tenere 700, Yamaha YZ 250 X, Yamaha YZ250, Yamaha YZ125, Yamaha YZ 250 FX, 4 x Yamaha BWS100's, Yamaha TZR 125, 2 x Yamaha YZ 250 F's, Yamaha PW50, Yamaha TTR110

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007, Roof of Africa

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 10:45:48 pm »
Unfortunately while the riding was good some aspects have slipped again - why they have not managed to keep Daryl Curtis aboard as race director baffles me (he was spectating and camping near us at Ramabanta). He was such a good ambassador for the event last year and the logistics were excellent. He is globally respected in the sport and they could not ask for more.

This year the spectator maps were like children's join-the-dots colouring in books - pathetic in the extreme! No pre-race video promos, no hype for followers and spectators, no decent website updates etc. Really it is time there was succession before the ...  eehrr ... Luck runs out completely. The rider numbers were dramatically down and NO professional international riders - there were about 20 of the worlds top extreme enduro riders last year?  Spectator numbers were thus proportionately down.  ROA needs to get it together and get on the new WESS circuit before it slides more.  :-\

This is the unfortunate part of the ROA. Most complaints re organisation come from the spectator group, which is the same group that contribute ZERO to the organisational costs. The general concensus from the riders, Teams, Team Management, sponsors et al is that the organisation, route layout and difficulty, locations, RTH etc were spot on - the best in many years! For once, Peter Luck deserves some credit, IMO

A Half Baced response and assertion >:D You must know that the ROA has been plagued in recent years by very serious problems related DIRECTLY to the organisation and many many complaints coming directly from RIDERS and their teams. A rider death and official investigation by MSA evidence this. Yes many of the issues have been addressed (actually had to be to retain the event license), but it is still far from on point. I have followed the race since the 80's and been involved from a rider perspective for the past 5 years, and only this year again as a spectator. The ROA would be nothing without spectators (as with most all motorsport) - they need to be listened to as well as accommodated. My observations and concerns stand. If you want an international event (yes with top international riders) you need professional org, events management, media coverage and spectator support ... and yes happy riders of course. There are international benchmark events to learn from - and ROA can even learn a lot from our own Impi events. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:50:19 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline GraZer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 05:54:23 am »

I would just like to point out that both parties were drunk and the so called toppie went over looking for a fight. The statements of spectators placing rocks and branches in the way of riders were unfounded.
In the end the resulting brawl made the day unpleasant for everyone.

Online windswept

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 06:17:32 am »
No news of top riders yet. Lyndon Poskitt has confirmed he will be riding a KTM250TPi.

He has posted some pics of his Roof on advrider.  :thumleft:

Offline CycleC

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 08:19:53 am »
Big Dom is like the self appointed Helen Zille of the ROA, always having a go , just like the class nerd looking to score points with the teacher, He has a hidden agenda to discredit the organizers and the event and will try his best to always point out the bad instead of the positive changes that made the 2018 ROA a huge success to 95% of all the competitors and spectators, Honestly no one in the know actually takes him seriously. A sheep vs a lion -  No one cares about you or your "handlers" attempts to discredit the ROA. If you don't like what you see simply stay away, honestly the race will not miss you one bit. Maybe you should go to another big event like Romaniacs and then compare, you just might be surprized as to how good the ROA actually is.

Lets us get something 100% straight right now: The ONE and ONLY reason none of the Top international riders did not make it to the 2018 ROA is due to the introduction of the WESS (World Enduro Super series) which is run in Europe and is tied to KTM, Husky and RED Bull. Therefor the Factory riders are on contract to ride and participate in these events , its not like Jarvis, Bolt Letti etc can just come to Lesotho by themselves. They are employed by the factory and have to listen to their boss's. The WESS has caused other extreme races like in OZ and South America to loose the Top Riders so its no only the ROA.

Keep it up Dom, you are doing yourself no favours looking like a whining baby

The following users thanked this post: GraZer, Roof of Africa, Nuts4Dakar

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 08:34:14 am »
I saw some okes messing around with rocks and stuff, it was in a simple section and did not affect the riders one little bit.

As for the routes and format this year, top notch.
The service points were better than they have been in the last few years and the riders really spoke well of the routes.
The spectator maps were as detailed as they needed to be to get to DSP and road crossings. I personally prefer this side of Lesotho to the Bushmans and north bits.

Complaints? trying to get food at the start/finish and DSP's was a joke. Typical Lesotho planning.

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 08:51:13 am »
I saw some okes messing around with rocks and stuff, it was in a simple section and did not affect the riders one little bit.

As for the routes and format this year, top notch.
The service points were better than they have been in the last few years and the riders really spoke well of the routes.
The spectator maps were as detailed as they needed to be to get to DSP and road crossings. I personally prefer this side of Lesotho to the Bushmans and north bits.

Complaints? trying to get food at the start/finish and DSP's was a joke. Typical Lesotho planning.

You don't look malnourished?  8)
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.

Offline Half - Bac

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 09:02:59 am »
BTW, total entries this year were 272 - 18 riders more than last year's 254. "Entries dramatically down?"
Half - Bac
Commercial Manager  - Yamaha Motorcycles
Yamaha Super Tenere World Crosser, Yamaha Tenere 700, Yamaha YZ 250 X, Yamaha YZ250, Yamaha YZ125, Yamaha YZ 250 FX, 4 x Yamaha BWS100's, Yamaha TZR 125, 2 x Yamaha YZ 250 F's, Yamaha PW50, Yamaha TTR110

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 09:26:51 am »
Big Dom is like the self appointed Helen Zille of the ROA, always having a go , just like the class nerd looking to score points with the teacher, He has a hidden agenda to discredit the organizers and the event and will try his best to always point out the bad instead of the positive changes that made the 2018 ROA a huge success to 95% of all the competitors and spectators, Honestly no one in the know actually takes him seriously. A sheep vs a lion -  No one cares about you or your "handlers" attempts to discredit the ROA. If you don't like what you see simply stay away, honestly the race will not miss you one bit. Maybe you should go to another big event like Romaniacs and then compare, you just might be surprized as to how good the ROA actually is.

Lets us get something 100% straight right now: The ONE and ONLY reason none of the Top international riders did not make it to the 2018 ROA is due to the introduction of the WESS (World Enduro Super series) which is run in Europe and is tied to KTM, Husky and RED Bull. Therefor the Factory riders are on contract to ride and participate in these events , its not like Jarvis, Bolt Letti etc can just come to Lesotho by themselves. They are employed by the factory and have to listen to their boss's. The WESS has caused other extreme races like in OZ and South America to loose the Top Riders so its no only the ROA.

Keep it up Dom, you are doing yourself no favours looking like a whining baby

You are trying to suppress honest feedback to protect your own self interests and profit. By insulting me and having your own whine (wine?) you are proving exactly what a twat you are. There is no hidden agenda, and no handlers. I have attended other international events and am a supporter of the Roof - my only interest is seeing it be the best it can be. The previous arrogance and deaf ears to competitors inputs lead directly to previous problems.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 09:48:23 am »

I would just like to point out that both parties were drunk and the so called toppie went over looking for a fight. The statements of spectators placing rocks and branches in the way of riders were unfounded.
In the end the resulting brawl made the day unpleasant for everyone.

The observations are completely founded. I witnessed it first hand and there is video footage of the youngsters placing branches and rocks on the climb in front of Ramabanta Trading post. The older man simply called them out on this cheating behaviour and was abused verbally and then physically. They continued with it even afterwards and when an experienced rider later asked them on arriving at the obstacles who had placed them there he was also also verbally abused. The same guys abused slower riders - calling them "Bronzy Pussies" etc - one rider even got off his bike and was ready to sort the one guy out. They also left their broken cooler box and other trash on the mountain. The guys identities and employers in the biking industry are known. The one youngster actually races and his sponsors are aware of this incident.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 09:57:01 am by BiG DoM »

Offline CycleC

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 09:55:35 am »
You are trying to suppress honest feedback to protect your own self interests and profit. By insulting me and having your own whine (wine?) you are proving exactly what a twat you are. There is no hidden agenda, and no handlers. I have attended other international events and am a supporter of the Roof - my only interest is seeing it be the best it can be. The previous arrogance and deaf ears to competitors inputs lead directly to previous problems.

Your ignorance is trumped by "your" arrogance.

1. I have nothing more to do with the ROA other than being a spectator , so your self interest and profit comment is again utter nonsense
2. Wine- I hope you are not talking about alcohol as I have been a non drinker for over 30 years - again your assumption is utter nonsense
3. By whinging on forums year after year is becoming tiresome, just like the boy who cried wolf. No one cares about it anymore, maybe they would if it came from a credible person but you are not that person. If you where a man why not set up a face to face meeting with the organising committee and express your views, this way you can see 1st hand the challenges they may or may not face.
4. Funny how my 12 year old son figured out the spectator maps but you as a supposedly intelligent adult could not.

I could go on and on but I have had my say, Good luck living your 1/2 empty life. Please go and enjoy the Impi or whatever else you claim to be the best.

Have a lovely X Mas and New year

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 10:04:00 am »
 :imaposer:

Ja, further proof the more things change the more they stay the same.

And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too, Sir.

:santa: :rendeer:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:06:14 am by BiG DoM »

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 02:45:30 pm »
Handbags  :pot:

Let's be honest now ... the spectator guides were not better than previous two years guides. I concluded this year that the best way to follow the Roof is to go there with your dirt bike, that's if you are there to watch the racing.
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 03:30:37 pm »
Good point Sithe. :thumleft:

Big Dom - no need to make it personal,please. We have enough of this bullshit in R&P as it is.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2018, 09:20:22 pm »
BTW, total entries this year were 272 - 18 riders more than last year's 254. "Entries dramatically down?"

2016 = 382 riders  ???

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2018, 05:43:46 am »

Big Dom - no need to make it personal please. We have enough of this bullshit in R&P as it is.

For clarity. From the outset I merely expressed a genuine opinion on the subject. When I was then attacked personally I responded to the ad hominem insult.