Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa 2018  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
Re: Roof of Africa 2018
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2018, 07:16:37 am »
Have to agree with @BiG DoM

CycleC took some real cheap shots. Shame on you man.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline CycleC

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2018, 07:35:24 am »
Lets hope this sinks in, read it, study it and understand it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2018, 09:07:19 am »

I urge you to do the same....
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2018, 10:43:43 am »

I urge you to do the same....

Indeed. At my age I am certainly not here to be schooled by a palooka espousing Yanky quotes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:31:11 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2018, 10:51:52 am »
So funny, like the okes fighting over the rocks in the path.

Online Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2018, 11:12:15 am »
The last roof I did was 2016, it was such a monumental fuckup I decided to give it a skip for a good couple of years until they learn from the Impi - Now the Impi, that’s one helluva show indeed. The 2016 Roof really screwed me over, hence my “boycot”, but In saying that, I love the Roof, think it has such an amazing heritage and following, world-famous terrain and riding. Hope it get’s to where it can be (Maybe it is, wasn’t there this year).

Congrats to everyone that did it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2018, 12:57:14 pm »
Competed this year and had my family and friends there for support. So here is my take on it.

Toilets
This was apparently an issue in the previous years. I did not make use of them. But my mom came to me to tell me how clean the toilets were and that there was someone there 24/7 to clean the place. So well done on that. Public toilets suck so making sure its clean is a big bonus

Water
2016 people ran out of water and there were complaints about water at unassisted refuels in the mountains. As soon as I passed the unassisted refuel there was a medic and a marshal offered me water. I came through rather early, so not sure how long it lasted. But I was impressed.

Registration
Registration this year was kind of brutal. They checked every single thing on the scrutineering form. Even my pegs, levers and checked to see if all spokes on the wheels were tight. What I did not like was the fact that we had a list with items that we needed to bring with to scrutineering, this included a few basic items but we did not know that we had to have everything there. Our camelbacks and medical kit was left at our accommodation. They did understand it luckily and let us go through. We were forced to stick the racing numbers on the bikes right there, our bikes were full of dust from the trailer etc. But all the above probably necessary.

Tracks
I do think that bronze was maybe a bit tough this year compared to silver and gold. Lots of bronze guys fell out on the Friday, and keep in mind that these were guys that already qualified under difficult conditions in May. So they were people that can ride. Also, I am not being sour about it, I finished and finished well. Just an observation.

Round the Houses
Love the new format. Just hated the fact that some of us had to be there by 8am and only rode at 11am. Also felt like they dragged the round the houses out a bit too much with the side shows. Keep in mind, after round the houses you still had to load up and leave for time trial an hours drive away. Lots of sitting around and waiting if you were riding bronze

DSPs
They were a bit clustered but not much you can do about that. So many riders and support crew, space will be an issue. I got someone from my support to wait at the start and show me the exit again when I leave. Otherwise I would have been completely lost in the chaos.

Spectator map
Dont see the issue with it, my parents could figure it out and they are not accustomed to the event or the organising. There were even signs on the roads pointing you to spectators points and DSPs

Race day starts
When you do the time trial and after day 1 of racing. You get a start time. Previous years it happened that some people would just push in on race day one and go whenever they please. This caused bottlenecks and kak on the route. This year they checked and marked every single person off a list to make sure you start on you designated time slot. One you got from racing the time trial. So no more chancers pushing in at the front.

We got updated with everything that we needed via a whatsapp group. It worked perfect. All in I think it was a great event and the only thing is that I feel sorry for the bronze guys that got time barred on Friday. It was a long day in the saddle and for some of them it was their 2nd attempt.

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007, Roof of Africa

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 04:48:52 pm »
Thanks for your post Pom :thumleft:

Good to hear things are getting better.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Nuts4Dakar

• Puppy
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2018, 01:31:53 pm »
My 2 cents.

I thought Roof was great, having done 12 before (first in 2004)
I also did the bronze qualifier this year for fun, in the all comers class.

I personally don't like the new round the house format, but that's because i started at the back of my group and sucked dust and waited in bottlenecks.
I think if this continues in the same format we should be allowed to set a time trail lap and get seeded on that for the race.
As the time counts, and if you start at the back of the group you don't stand a chance

The route was great, not overly extreme but in your face.
My only small grip was that we need  a 15minute decontrolled stop once a day.

Having done a few overseas races Romaniacs,Sea2sky and ISDE i think its a great event.
The cheapest you will do by far, so just ride it and keep off the keyboards

Well done to all i give it a 9.5/10

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2018, 02:12:29 pm »
My 2 cents.

I thought Roof was great, having done 12 before (first in 2004)
I also did the bronze qualifier this year for fun, in the all comers class.

I personally don't like the new round the house format, but that's because i started at the back of my group and sucked dust and waited in bottlenecks.
I think if this continues in the same format we should be allowed to set a time trail lap and get seeded on that for the race.
As the time counts, and if you start at the back of the group you don't stand a chance

The route was great, not overly extreme but in your face.
My only small grip was that we need  a 15minute decontrolled stop once a day.

Having done a few overseas races Romaniacs,Sea2sky and ISDE i think its a great event.
The cheapest you will do by far, so just ride it and keep off the keyboards

Well done to all i give it a 9.5/10

I have the same issue with the dust at round the houses. You could only pass people in the rock garden and tyre pit.
But I thought I would not mention it because even if you lose maximum 10mins at round the houses, its nothing compared to the 2 days of racing ahead.
It provides for some decent spectating and still feel its safer than pinning a 2 stroke for long periods on tar. For rider and bike. So would rather eat the dust for 13mins in the new format. They could also make the loop shorter and do it in the parking lot, Romaniacs style, that way there is no dust and rather do more laps.

On the 15min decontrol.
Dont you think it will become another issue that the organisers will have to try and keep their hands on. People wont adhere to it and difficult to police out in the mountains at each and every DSP?

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2018, 11:00:40 am »
Lots of spectator points - Lekker
Main pits - good food, top notch toilets. What a pleasure
DSP's - Really ??? - no toilets for the ladies from what I could see. Little bit tough considering the time some crews spent there.
PA system blowing up  :imaposer: OOPS ....  :ricky:  Matt Smith - where were you

Otherwise - from a spectator point of view: great weekend

Hahaa - BTW -those that slipped in without passports. Lesotho authorities not that stupid - Busted when they left. Wonder how long it was before they dared pick up the soap  :lol8:

I saw some okes messing around with rocks and stuff, it was in a simple section and did not affect the riders one little bit.

As for the routes and format this year, top notch.
The service points were better than they have been in the last few years and the riders really spoke well of the routes.
The spectator maps were as detailed as they needed to be to get to DSP and road crossings. I personally prefer this side of Lesotho to the Bushmans and north bits.

Complaints? trying to get food at the start/finish and DSP's was a joke. Typical Lesotho planning.
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work