Question for those in the know..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustlover

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Morning Dawgs,
I fell over this weekend in a most frustrating manner. That's another story..
However, I struggled to pick the bike up. It lay on its side for about 30seconds with the ignition on and then another 10 minutes with ignition off.
When I finally picked it up, dusted myself off and calmed down and tried to ride off, nothing happened when I hit the starter button....
I tried again and a couple of clicks ensued. Third time it sort of fired but there was a loud clank from the engine. Gave it ten seconds...
Finally, it started, coughed out some dark smoke which cleared after 10 seconds and since then it has run like a train again. No further issues either running or starting.

So..My question is this: What happened? Why did the process start with no reaction at all and then gradually improve in steps until it started?  Is there some fiendish software which first empties the unused petrol from the cylinder before it starts? Or did I just have to get the motor to tick over to clear the fuel and keep trying until it started?

Keen to hear an explanation.

Cheers