Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: This whole GSC thing!  (Read 5623 times)

Offline Fidel

• Capo di Rompe Coglione
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • U KANTE KILLE ME
This whole GSC thing!
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:48:41 am »
Let me just set it straight, this is not brand bashing, purely a logical consideration. :)

Are BMW and their clients not getting ahead of themselves slightly? :-\

My knowledge of Bikes and Engineering tells me that a GS is a great piece of equipment. It‚??s versatile, comfortable and designed and built using the most modern technology and design elements available.

It‚??s probably the BEST commuter on 2 wheels‚?¶‚?¶‚?¶ but definitely not an off-roader!

The fact is that a complex and heavy bike, that is restricted in range and self-serviceability, is no good for off road abuse and long distance exploring.

Those that do choose to use them mainly off road have suffered suspension issues, component fatigue, electrical malfunctions and serious damage as a result of falls. These are things that I have personally seen.

Again, this is not a reflection on the bike, anything that weighs 220+ kg, is covered and supported by modern plastic and light die cast parts, and has complex electronic systems will suffer this fate.

The logic is that when exploring off-road, you WILL fall, you WILL end up in Water, mud and sand and the equipment must be able to handle such.

In my opinion, its fair to classify the GS as an 80% Commuter 20% Adventurer bias machine, that‚??s it!

In this context, is there even a road handling section to the GSC and is it proportionate to this bias?

When they built this bike, primarily for the European market, they must have been thinking ‚?? good commuter and occasional little gravel road ‚?? of which there are few and far between in Europe.

Now, its in the hands of South African marketers and cowboys that want you to use it as the ultimate off road adventure bike‚?¶....I mean, afterall, Charlie and Ewan did it! :D

Why are they advertising and portraying it like this and does it make financial sense to entice clients to trash bikes and incur exorbitant service and repair costs?

My concern is‚?¶‚?¶....is it sound business‚?¶‚?¶‚?¶and utmost, is it SAFE? :(

Offline fixit

Re: This whole GSC thing!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:53:30 am »
OMF........OMF......... ??? ??? ???

Do you just like conflict, or are you bored?

I'll watch this one from my corner  :peepwall:

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:56:26 am »
Get your raincoats, theres a shit storm on the way...
Maak soos Dr Phil sÍ: "Hou op om 'n do0s te wees..."

Offline Ratel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:01:42 am »
 :imaposer:

Come on, someone pleeeeeeese take the bait >:D
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline fixit

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:02:32 am »
Get your raincoats, theres a shit storm on the way...

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:04:34 am »
Not this again.   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

If you want a GS buy one, do what ever the hell you want with it.
If you don't want one, then don't buy one, and leave the okes who bough one alone.

I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline Fidel

• Capo di Rompe Coglione
  • U KANTE KILLE ME
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 10:06:06 am »
Aaaaaah neee F...... Fidel, hit the search button my maat, this is really oooold. Go play with the wife or go make a sarmie with some beer it's nearly 10'clock.  :biggrin:

Have all these questions been answered already! Maybe i should have that beer sarmie. OMF OMF is the sound of me chewing on it. :)

Offline popipants

• I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 10:08:37 am »
It is funny that it is always people who do not own BMW's who start sh!t threads like this.

Offline Paulsky

• If it's not Blue with a bit of Orange it's a Lemon
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 10:10:04 am »
I agree, I think it's irresponsible of BMW to set up the orange and red routes with that degree of technicality, from what I heard (at the KTM RR someone who shall remain nameless and had been to both events said to me they were equivelant to RR1 and 2). You can't put a 318 car engine in a bike FFS and try and take it off road to that degree. The HP2 and F800 are very capable in my view but the GS is aimed at a different type of touring and out of it's depth with 300kg and a 19 inch front wheel.
" TARRED ROADS , JUST ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS,  SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 10:11:45 am »
I love my commuter...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline fixit

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 10:13:50 am »
I agree, I think it's irresponsible of BMW to set up the orange and red routes with that degree of technicality, from what I heard (at the KTM RR someone who shall remain nameless and had been to both events said to me they were equivelant to RR1 and 2). You can't put a 318 car engine in a bike FFS and try and take it off road to that degree. The HP2 and F800 are very capable in my view but the GS is aimed at a different type of touring and out of it's depth with 300kg and a 19 inch front wheel.

You forgot the R80 G/s 178kgs with 21 front wheel. Very capable..... ???

Offline Fidel

• Capo di Rompe Coglione
  • U KANTE KILLE ME
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 10:14:06 am »
You are already too defensive to understand what i am asking.  :-\

My feeling is that they are going overboard with this. If Honda where doing the same with the TA or any other manufacturer for that matter, i would have the same concerns.

Its about the engineering, design and marketing principles, no aimed at the sensitive BM owner. ;)

Offline popipants

• I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 10:21:05 am »
This topic has been discussed to DEATH!!!

And we all have agreed that BMW are absolutely the crapiest bike you can ever buy; and the people who buys it should be shot on site and their bodies left in the sun as a warning to any other potential buyer.

o..and before I forget. KTM's are the best bikes ever made and that will ever be made.  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Now that every has heard what they wanted, can we talk about something more interesting?

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 10:22:47 am »
You are already too defensive to understand what i am asking.  :-\

My feeling is that they are going overboard with this. If Honda where doing the same with the TA or any other manufacturer for that matter, i would have the same concerns.

Its about the engineering, design and marketing principles, no aimed at the sensitive BM owner. ;)

Ok - lets assume for a moment that you are serious and not stirring.

My 1100 have 147000 km's on it. 50 000 of that I've put on it - two clutches (last one was put in because the 1st one wasn't put in right) and two needlebearings replaced in the shaft.

I don't look after it properly and I sometimes abuse it.

Granted - I don't ride it like a MX bike, but still

Btw - I fixed one of your statements below...

The logic is that when exploring off-road, you WILL fall, you WILL end up in Water, mud and sand and the equipment rider must be able to handle such.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:24:28 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

bobnob

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 10:23:41 am »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

i agree what does ze-germans know about building a bike that can travel off the tar they are all a bunch of posers and tossers and wankers

the austrians on the other hand know how the build an off-road bike - i have never been to austria but i take they have no tar roads and the entire country is just one bike mud and sand pit waiting to be discovered  :ricky:

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 10:25:27 am »
 :ricky:

I'm just subscribing to what might be a funny thread or a.................arg sh%t it is already going that way.  ;) :biggrin:

JohnST

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 10:32:07 am »
Nah I think the GS is an awesome bike!! My problem is these guys that has never riddin a bike in their life and because of BMW's awesome marketing they go out and by a GS or even worse a GSA. R20k's kit and all of a sudden they are f_cking mean ass adventure riders!! That bites me!! Unfortunately only 20% of all GS owners can ride their bikes properly the rest are sissies!!

:pot:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:33:29 am by JohnST »

Offline Paulsky

• If it's not Blue with a bit of Orange it's a Lemon
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 10:35:15 am »
No one mentioned KTM and comparing the two, I just think Fidel was asking a question about the reasoning behind the GS challenge and overdoing the routes for the 1200 type of bike specifically. BMW do have real off road bikes capable for the routes they set out. But then again it is a personal choice thing and everybodies freedom of choice should be respected so I suppose who am I to point fingers.
" TARRED ROADS , JUST ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS,  SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"

masehare

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 10:38:01 am »
The fact is that a complex and heavy bike, that is restricted in range and self-serviceability, is no good for off road abuse and long distance exploring.

Those that do choose to use them mainly off road have suffered suspension issues, component fatigue, electrical malfunctions and serious damage as a result of falls. These are things that I have personally seen.

Again, this is not a reflection on the bike, anything that weighs 220+ kg, is covered and supported by modern plastic and light die cast parts, and has complex electronic systems will suffer this fate.

The logic is that when exploring off-road, you WILL fall, you WILL end up in Water, mud and sand and the equipment must be able to handle such.

I'll take the bait. The previous owner of my bike took it on the red route and I've done an additional 30000kms on it. It now stands on 65000km and is in (in my opinion) a very good condition. So maybe re-think your statement about "is no good for off road abuse and long distance exploring". Maybe it was designed for that specifically? Can you prove otherwise? Which bike would you suggest the GSC be done on?  :eek7:

Just for the record - I'll never do the GSC due to other factors.

Offline skillie

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 10:39:37 am »
I am not taking the bait !

get yourself a commuter here .... http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=23096.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:43:15 am by skillie »
do not live in the CITY !!!!!