Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: This whole GSC thing!  (Read 5626 times)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Re: This whole GSC thing!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 10:39:47 am »
I actually forgot about the annual 'post-GSC GS bashing posts' that pops up every year after the GSC...

Forgot to brace myself this year for it.

:P

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:40:14 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

JohnST

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 10:43:20 am »
No one mentioned KTM and comparing the two, I just think Fidel was asking a question about the reasoning behind the GS challenge and overdoing the routes for the 1200 type of bike specifically. BMW do have real off road bikes capable for the routes they set out. But then again it is a personal choice thing and everybodies freedom of choice should be respected so I suppose who am I to point fingers.

+1000, because he rides a KTM he is now not allowed to comment on a BM or there will be all hell!! That's bull. It doesn't mean he has never rode on a GS and doesn't know how it feels and how it should handle in that situation.....

I've been on a 1150 and 1200 and I maintain my believes re certain capabilities.

His question remain: Is the routes set out not a bit too hard for the GS1200? If you want to compare the KTM then be so. I'll admit that I think RR1 was too tough for the 950/990, hell they even told us it will break your bike! No illusions!!

Offline Yefimovich≤

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R1200RT
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 10:43:52 am »
BUY ONE OF EVERYTHING? Make all parties happy or better yet put KTM badge on the GS? Problem solved... :thumleft: :mwink:
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 10:45:15 am »
 :middlefinger:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 10:45:53 am »
This topic has been discussed to DEATH!!!

And we all have agreed that BMW are absolutely the crapiest bike you can ever buy; and the people who buys it should be shot on site and their bodies left in the sun as a warning to any other potential buyer.

o..and before I forget. KTM's are the best bikes ever made and that will ever be made.  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Now that every has heard what they wanted, can we talk about something more interesting?

My Dear Fidel

I agree wholeheartly with popi. The GS is the k@kkest bike even build and 99.9% of the buyers bought it after watching the Charlie/Ewan DvD's. Furthermore all the accidents etc happened at the GSC is the bikes fault and the whole GSC is a ploy from BM to get their workshops full.

Regards
Ama
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Yefimovich≤

• R1200RT
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 10:48:44 am »
And to get rid of the old models so they can sell the new model...  :mwink:

Clever Bastids..
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards

Online fixit

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 10:51:31 am »
156 reads & 26 responses and its Thursday afternoon!!!!!
Isn't that some kind of record ??? :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:52:03 am by fixit »

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 10:51:41 am »
Let me just set it straight, this is not brand bashing, purely a logical consideration. :)

Are BMW and their clients not getting ahead of themselves slightly? :-\

My knowledge of Bikes and Engineering tells me that a GS is a great piece of equipment. It‚??s versatile, comfortable and designed and built using the most modern technology and design elements available.

It‚??s probably the BEST commuter on 2 wheels‚?¶‚?¶‚?¶ but definitely not an off-roader!

It IS an off-roader - it might not be the best, but it's very capable under most circumstances

The fact is that a complex and heavy bike, that is restricted in range and self-serviceability, is no good for off road abuse and long distance exploring.

No bike is good for 'abuse' - Not good for long distance exploring?? I think there are thousands of people all around the world that do epic journeys that will disagree with you.

Those that do choose to use them mainly off road have suffered suspension issues, component fatigue, electrical malfunctions and serious damage as a result of falls. These are things that I have personally seen.

Again, this is not a reflection on the bike, anything that weighs 220+ kg, is covered and supported by modern plastic and light die cast parts, and has complex electronic systems will suffer this fate.

The logic is that when exploring off-road, you WILL fall, you WILL end up in Water, mud and sand and the equipment must be able to handle such.

They do handle all this. Yes, some suffer, some make it through. It doesn't mater how much marketing or hype BMW puts into their campaigns. if the bikes were crap people would not be buying them.

In my opinion, its fair to classify the GS as an 80% Commuter 20% Adventurer bias machine, that‚??s it!

In this context, is there even a road handling section to the GSC and is it proportionate to this bias?

When they built this bike, primarily for the European market, they must have been thinking ‚?? good commuter and occasional little gravel road ‚?? of which there are few and far between in Europe.

Now, its in the hands of South African marketers and cowboys that want you to use it as the ultimate off road adventure bike‚?¶....I mean, afterall, Charlie and Ewan did it! :D

Why are they advertising and portraying it like this and does it make financial sense to entice clients to trash bikes and incur exorbitant service and repair costs?

How many bikes entered the GSC? How many were trashed? I'm guessing most of the bikes handled it well and weren't trashed or pushed beyond what the bike was capable of.

My concern is‚?¶‚?¶....is it sound business‚?¶‚?¶‚?¶and utmost, is it SAFE? :(

Also, a company can have a brand identity and try and market that - but ultimately a brand is created by what people think. It exists only in the minds of people.
and so if BMW has a 'unstoppable, go-anywhere, do-anything, etc.' image, it was not created by them, but by their customers. And it is their duty to live up to that brand.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 10:51:50 am »
I'll admit that I think RR1 was too tough for the 950/990, hell they even told us it will break your bike! No illusions!!

That might be the crux of it all.

I think the idea is to 'challenge' the people and the equipment.

And hey, if there are people who wants to endanger  R130 000 worth of metal and rubber then I won't stand in their way.
;D ;D ;D

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 10:55:42 am »
This topic has been discussed to DEATH!!!

And we all have agreed that BMW are absolutely the crapiest bike you can ever buy; and the people who buys it should be shot on site and their bodies left in the sun as a warning to any other potential buyer.

o..and before I forget. KTM's are the best bikes ever made and that will ever be made.  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Now that every has heard what they wanted, can we talk about something more interesting?

Faaaark me, you are sensitive this morning !!!!

Not get it all this morning??????  - Your kelloggs now, I mean  ;D ;D

Don't worry - I like you ........   and your bike  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:56:24 am by Plothond »
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 10:59:22 am »
I agree, I think it's irresponsible of BMW to set up the orange and red routes with that degree of technicality, from what I heard (at the KTM RR someone who shall remain nameless and had been to both events said to me they were equivelant to RR1 and 2). You can't put a 318 car engine in a bike FFS and try and take it off road to that degree. The HP2 and F800 are very capable in my view but the GS is aimed at a different type of touring and out of it's depth with 300kg and a 19 inch front wheel.

Correction 200KG ;)
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline Plothond

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 11:03:16 am »
hahaha

...en my baaaik ?

Offline Plothond

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 11:04:11 am »
hahaha

...en my baaaik ?

ke?

What happened to Eisbeins post ??

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 11:04:43 am »
hahaha

...en my baaaik ?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Stunning baaik!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 11:06:06 am »
hahaha

...en my baaaik ?

ke?

I zapped it - didn't know if I was being too forward posting it...

;D ;D ;D

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 11:06:44 am »
Bliksem, maar jy's vinnig op die F5!

;D ;D ;D

Offline Plothond

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 11:08:01 am »
hahaha

...en my baaaik ?

ke?

I zapped it - didn't know if I was being too forward posting it...

;D ;D ;D

I got a thick skin - used to ride a Honda ;D

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 11:11:35 am »
I got a thick skin - used to ride a Honda ;D

Hahahahahahaha!
Dit sal jou leer - quote my volgende keer - dan kan ek nie my 'mind change' nie!
;D

Just so people know waht we're on about - this was my initial reaction:

Don't worry - I like you ........   and your bike  ;D

Jy's ook self nie te f*kken bad nie...

;D ;D ;D ;D

:peepwall:

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 11:11:48 am »
Jislaaik Fidel, ek moet se, jy's n stirrer - are you bored there in the kantoor? Cos you know you were going to get it in the neck.

I'll play. I honestly cant see where you get the "limited range" on the big BMW's. The biggest one of them all, the 1150GS ADV, weighing in at circa 250kg fueled (Bmw boys correct me here), still does wayyyy better economy than my skinny 196kg  fully fooooled SE/R.     And it has twice the capacity. So that point is completely moot.

As for the rest - what do you reallly want to achieve?

Online Scalpel

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 11:12:42 am »
Nah I think the GS is an awesome bike!! My problem is these guys that has never riddin a bike in their life and because of BMW's awesome marketing they go out and by a GS or even worse a GSA. R20k's kit and all of a sudden they are f_cking mean ass adventure riders!! That bites me!! Unfortunately only 20% of all GS owners can ride their bikes properly the rest are sissies!!

:pot:

So you suggest that all newbies into DS biking will rather buy a GS than a KTM? So this suggest that KTM's marketing is up to nothing first of all. How many incidents was at the RR this year? I know of quite a few! :pot:How many mean ass adventure riders on KTM's ended up in hospital at the RR? Unfortunately their was a really sad incident at the GS Challenge, but it could have happened at the RR as well!

So it is not only GS riders that comes into the sport with no precious or very little previous biking experience, but also a lot of KTM riders!
BMW R80G/S PD is the original DS bike!!