Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: This whole GSC thing!  (Read 5782 times)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Re: This whole GSC thing!
« Reply #200 on: October 06, 2008, 11:36:04 am »
Short answer:

If it's your GS and you want to take it on a BMX course, so be it.

You will probably reach the end of your abillity before the bike does...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #201 on: October 06, 2008, 12:20:20 pm »
chased Topbox on his XR down one of those routes.

that doesn't prove anything, a baby in a pram could do that...  :ricky:
more specifically http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-for-Sale-scooters-motorcycles-motorbikes-suped-up-pram-W0QQAdIdZ78429708

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #202 on: October 06, 2008, 12:24:57 pm »
chased Topbox on his XR down one of those routes.

that doesn't prove anything, a baby in a pram could do that...  :ricky:
more specifically http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-for-Sale-scooters-motorcycles-motorbikes-suped-up-pram-W0QQAdIdZ78429708

Hahahahahahahaha!

You're right.

Now just stand still while I reload...

::) ::)

Point was that you could use things for what they weren't necesarilly designed for...

;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:25:18 pm by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Chrissie B

• Chrissie the Gypsy
  • Bike: Honda NC750X
  • Still love my Twin
« Reply #203 on: October 06, 2008, 01:13:28 pm »
Nah I think the GS is an awesome bike!! My problem is these guys that has never riddin a bike in their life and because of BMW's awesome marketing they go out and by a GS or even worse a GSA. R20k's kit and all of a sudden they are f_cking mean ass adventure riders!! That bites me!! Unfortunately only 20% of all GS owners can ride their bikes properly the rest are sissies!!

:pot:

So you suggest that all newbies into DS biking will rather buy a GS than a KTM? So this suggest that KTM's marketing is up to nothing first of all. How many incidents was at the RR this year? I know of quite a few! :pot:How many mean ass adventure riders on KTM's ended up in hospital at the RR? Unfortunately their was a really sad incident at the GS Challenge, but it could have happened at the RR as well!

So it is not only GS riders that comes into the sport with no precious or very little previous biking experience, but also a lot of KTM riders!

I reckon less experienced riders usually won't buy a KTM... a Beemer makes so much more sense.  I've ridden a few KTM's but never off road, they scare the living daylights outta me, anyway, to ride a KTM you have to be a 'windgat' and you have to be able to pop wheelies and do stoppies... it goes with the image!

Beemers are more comfy and they have good backup sevice, and nice sales staff (Mikedabike and Tazzman), which I can't say for KTM.

Now you may ask - why do I ride a Honda... cos it's better than the others.... ok ok, my BMW Dakar was stolen and I could't afford another Beemer, and I'd have to learn to wheelie before I can get myself the KTM990.  Besides, I think the Africa Twin is the best bike for me, It's great on and off road, it's paid for and I don't get all tearful when I drop it, which is fairly frequently.

As for the 'Challenge', I think anyone who participates in the red route is crazy, where's the fun in being terrified and messing up your bike?  Just to show that you're better than the rest of us who can't take part because we ride Hondas and other funny bikes and who wouldn't go anyway because we actually like to enjoy myself out there and not tiotally destroy our bikes!

As for the fatal incident, I don't know what actually happened, but when you ride a bike, especially in terrain like that... there is always that chance.  But having said that, I ride on the road almost every day, sometimes in heavy traffic, I reckon that is probably even more dangerous. 

I think the Beemers are very capable machines (my 'other' half has the 1150GS), we have gone through some really difficult stuff (in Lesotho) and the Beemers made it all the way, despite some falls.  They are made to go off road, but they are not made to go racing, ... you can do all the tricky stuff, but do it like a gentlemen (or Lady), not like a hooligan, they have such amazing power that you don't need to floor it to get over stuff, just ease them on firmly and they will go anywhwere.

Anyway, that's my opinion..

Chrissie B.

Offline fixit

« Reply #204 on: October 06, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

Michnus

The KTM is just as heavy, have just as much reliability problems, and there 1200's through Angola but not one 950/990, again, things this skilled biker knew before he posted.

This type of statement has always bothered me?

Shortly, I will be in the market for another bike, but reading statements like this always gives me the impression that both the KTM & BM owners tend to hide the real truths about reliability on these machines. This sort of puts the fear into me and I put on the brakes every time I think about buying. Or am I mistaken? Was this just a slip on the keyboard? ???

I know the older machines have proven reliability, but what are the real truths behind the new 1200's and the KTM's for that matter.

What can I expect if do decide to buy either of the two.  :ricky:
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #205 on: October 06, 2008, 04:53:18 pm »
imo if someone today don't understand the different dynamics and attributes of a KTM vs BM - then they are either a noob, can't read or are just stirring.  The opinions and articles have explained it in great detail.  Maybe KTM and BM riders asking these questions are just trying to justify their own decisions.....  This such a kak topic, much like the Cruiser vs LR debates ......  farking boring

H

Disselboom

« Reply #206 on: October 06, 2008, 04:57:37 pm »

Michnus

The KTM is just as heavy, have just as much reliability problems, and there 1200's through Angola but not one 950/990, again, things this skilled biker knew before he posted.

This type of statement has always bothered me?

Shortly, I will be in the market for another bike, but reading statements like this always gives me the impression that both the KTM & BM owners tend to hide the real truths about reliability on these machines. This sort of puts the fear into me and I put on the brakes every time I think about buying. Or am I mistaken? Was this just a slip on the keyboard? ???

I know the older machines have proven reliability, but what are the real truths behind the new 1200's and the KTM's for that matter.

What can I expect if do decide to buy either of the two.  :ricky:

Fact is, if you are not confident in the choice you made after doing your research, any old assholes opinion will always bother you.Not that any of this forum's members are assholes.

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #207 on: October 06, 2008, 05:17:25 pm »
I have just included it there just for the dumbness of those kind of statements. You will always here people bitch and moan on forums on stuff that breaks, but not much when things keeps going right.
Even on a ride you over hear your budy had a bit of a problem, the next time, it's always "I hear lots of people have problems with xyz bike, ja and a friend had the same"

True.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #208 on: October 06, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »
I have just included it there just for the dumbness of those kind of statements. You will always here people bitch and moan on forums on stuff that breaks, but not much when things keeps going right.
Even on a ride you over hear your budy had a bit of a problem, the next time, it's always "I hear lots of people have problems with xyz bike, ja and a friend had the same"

True.

With regards to this whole thread, the above staement carries the most weight.

Offline Fidel

• Capo di Rompe Coglione
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • U KANTE KILLE ME
« Reply #209 on: October 06, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »
Krikey Mate....whats this mud-slinging?  :-\.....and its not even my KTM kicking it up.  :)

Pissing on the wheel of your chinas bike to see the expression on his face is one thing, when shared amongst friends, but the dissing and comparing piston size just aint my style.  ;)

Just to set the record, my intention was three fold: teast some BM owners (just because i can), air some genuine views and spark some general debate.

About that 50/50 balance in the forum Michnus talks about, i think it would be a good balance to take 50% in value of the members ideas, opinions and experiences and 50% pure entertainment value.  :-\.....howz that balance?

Those that saw the tease and played along, thanks, it was fun.  :D
Those that took offence.....live a liddle.  :) ......BM make great bikes (as i said), just not great for my type of adventure.  ;)......and we're all entitled to our own.

Offline Fourie-kop

• Durbie Dingo
« Reply #210 on: October 06, 2008, 06:38:49 pm »
Klink my jy's moeg vir die kak wat jy begin het.... net vir die rekord, jy kon nie eers 'n drippel laat val op daai wiel nie... daai KTM van jou het p!@l weg vibreer :imaposer:
KTM 990s Adv
KTM 640 Adv.
BMW1200 GS
Honda CRF 450 X

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2008, 06:52:12 pm »
Those that saw the tease and played along, thanks, it was fun.  Cheesy
Those that took offence.....live a liddle.  Smiley ......BM make great bikes (as i said), just not great for my type of adventure.  Wink......and we're all entitled to our own.

Fidel, that's just the thing, we have been going over these threads for the last 3 years and every time we see a new one, our toe nails curls around, it's so bloody old and lame, and every time it ends the same, really we get gatvol of moderating the same shit time and time again, and it's always the same bloody lame arguments.

Every time a new guy got f-all better to do at work they start a shit stirring thread and then every body must smile because it was done as a joke.
What you must understand people took out hard earned money for their bikes, and what you basically come and do is to tell them how fucked up they are for buying that bike. Please consider other peoples choices and their decisions, it goes along way, there's ways of asking a questions and then what you did. You decided to just tell them they are idiots, and then say it was a joke.

People have buggered off because of the constant stirring, most old timers on the side did not even responded on this thread, read LS and Lito response again.

Next time I tell you to go play with your wife, delete the bloody thing and go play with your wife.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:54:17 pm by michnus »

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #212 on: October 06, 2008, 07:00:59 pm »
Or better, separate the stirring from the genuine question - then we can chat about the genuine question and nuke the stirring section.....   There is a word for these kind of jokes ....... stirring

Personally I do find the genuine side of the question interesting - Is red route kind of rides for joe average the right way to do 'adventure challenges'?   

Offline Fidel

• Capo di Rompe Coglione
  • U KANTE KILLE ME
« Reply #213 on: October 06, 2008, 07:45:17 pm »
So ill be that peopholl this year?

I'm not so sure its me that needs the the legover though!  ;)

There was an element of fun in the string, absolutely. Fok, image being part of a forum of dry, emtionless, sensitive, people with IQ's well above average?  :-\

But besides that, there was some reason as well, which perhaps wasnt explained or expressed properly (although some told me, in private, that they understood what i meant), but i dont think its worth eloborating on in this string.

So if you'lle humour me, i try an objective, non bias, non emotional discussion on 'what makes up a true aventure bike', based on my expert opinion.....afterall, i did Litos ass.

G, sorry mate, just had to add this one.  ;D

But later, when the miggies have been washed off the goggles.  ;D

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2008, 07:49:17 pm »
afterall, i did Litos ass.

Ag nee sies man!  :3some:

:imaposer:

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2008, 07:53:22 pm »
afterall, i did Litos ass.

Ag nee sies man!  :3some:

Ja-nee fok.  :eek:

Different kind of stirring that, I would say.  :eek: :eek:
He who angers you, controls you.

Disselboom

« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2008, 07:55:30 pm »
No wonder so few want to go to Broke back Caledon...sorry, I mean Bash. :D

Offline Fidel

• Capo di Rompe Coglione
  • U KANTE KILLE ME
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2008, 07:57:58 pm »
 :imaposer:.......dit was snaaks. Dit klink cool anyway, so ill leave it ass ....erm, as is. Sorry G!  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:59:12 pm by Fidel »

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2008, 08:02:37 pm »
:imaposer:.......dit was snaaks. Dit klink cool anyway, so ill leave it ass ....erm, as is. Sorry G!  :imaposer:

WTF?   ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2008, 08:03:31 pm »

WTF?   ??? ??? ??? ???

Dit is seker maar wat mens se as 'n kort mannetjie jou "pla"

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:04:07 pm by Ryperd »