Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Old timers need some advice - what smallish bikes?  (Read 1211 times)

Online Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
Old timers need some advice - what smallish bikes?
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:18:19 pm »
Help us.  Wifey got the urge to have her own scoot.  One for some long distance touring.  And then I obviously also need one :biggrin:

We looking for something in the region of a 650 and smaller.  Maybe the 650 for me and then something smaller for the wife.  She previously had a XR250 which was just fine for her. 

The thinking is for some long distance touring to Nam, Botswana and the like, so it must be reliable, low maintenance and should be able to carry some weight (luggage). 

My thoughts is a XR650 for me as I will carry most of the equipment and then a 250 Rally for the wife. 

Any other thoughts would be helpful.  What else is in the market? 
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Old timers need some advice - what smallish bikes?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 08:29:29 pm »
Help us.  Wifey got the urge to have her own scoot.  One for some long distance touring.  And then I obviously also need one :biggrin:

We looking for something in the region of a 650 and smaller.  Maybe the 650 for me and then something smaller for the wife.  She previously had a XR250 which was just fine for her. 

The thinking is for some long distance touring to Nam, Botswana and the like, so it must be reliable, low maintenance and should be able to carry some weight (luggage). 

My thoughts is a XR650 for me as I will carry most of the equipment and then a 250 Rally for the wife. 

There's a very neat XT600E for sale in George, around R35000 with 30 000kays on it.

Offline Mev Vis Arend

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:29:50 pm »
 :sip:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline Dux

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:33:10 pm »
Nothing wrong with your choices , test them first and check which both of you prefer  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Online Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 08:35:24 pm »

There's a very neat XT600E for sale in George, around R35000 with 30 000kays on it.

Wa in George Dan?  Ook gedink aan die 600.  Dink jy die vrou sal daai 600 handle?
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline benreaper

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 08:39:59 pm »
Those are pretty good options you are looking at, I would also throw the DR650 and KLR650 in the mix.
Hulle is soos kamele, werk hard en vra ook nie baie nie.

Offline Oubones

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 08:46:30 pm »
Vir julle tipe van ry sal ek eerder na die DR kyk.
My 2c
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 10:09:58 pm »
XCountry 650 doen any country. :deal:
Nannie sal hom like 158 kg en die krag van n 650.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 05:18:21 am »
Thanks for the ideas,  :thumleft:

Offline Tampan

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 05:59:16 am »
Vir die langpad en om bagasie te dra sou ek ‘n XT660Z verkies bo die XR650L.

Online Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 07:11:00 am »
Vir die langpad en om bagasie te dra sou ek ‘n XT660Z verkies bo die XR650L.

Wat van die R, daai Z 's bly aan die duur kant, alhoewel hy 'n lekker groot tenk het. 

Offline Robin Brown

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 07:30:34 am »
I have just returned from a 10 day ride in the South of Namibia. And one of the party rode his Honda crf250 Rally with luggage from Pringle Bay to Nam and then all over the South and back home.
And he kept pace with all the others in spite of a 1290 KTM, 2 Africa Twins, 3 1200 GS and a 701  Husky and 660 Tenere.
The bike never missed a beat for just on 4 000km and arrived at every stop, campsite minutes after the others.
Sometimes ahead when we hit thick sand and many others fell.
And 5 of the big bikes were trailered up to the border and back. The excuse (we do not want to wreck our knobblies)
I have now bought a Rally.

Online Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 07:41:12 am »
I have just returned from a 10 day ride in the South of Namibia. And one of the party rode his Honda crf250 Rally with luggage from Pringle Bay to Nam and then all over the South and back home.
And he kept pace with all the others in spite of a 1290 KTM, 2 Africa Twins, 3 1200 GS and a 701  Husky and 660 Tenere.
The bike never missed a beat for just on 4 000km and arrived at every stop, campsite minutes after the others.
And 5 of the big bikes were trailered up to the border and back. The excuse (we do not want to wreck our knobblies)

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 09:59:07 am »

Really great little bikes, so sad many will never experience the pleasure of these D/S gems, as in all light bikes.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 10:17:11 am »

Really great little bikes, so sad many will never experience the pleasure of these D/S gems, as in all light bikes.
Glad I bought mine, been riding more than ever before just because it is such a versatile little bike. Can do just about anything and cost very little to run. Just be prepared for verbal abuse from the bigger is better SA biking mentality.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Online Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 10:26:23 am »

Glad I bought mine, been riding more than ever before just because it is such a versatile little bike. Can do just about anything and cost very little to run. Just be prepared for verbal abuse from the bigger is better SA biking mentality.
[/quote]

How will it do with a 1.9m tall, 100kg blob and some lugguage around say 30kg? 

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 10:29:26 am »
My keuse dou wees a KLR 650 F'ugly en DR650
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 10:39:51 am »
My keuse dou wees a KLR 650 F'ugly en DR650

:thumleft:  Sal kyk na die DR, maar ai, ek kry nie 'n laaik in 'n KLR nie.  Miskien so bietjie opgedollie, maar plein gaan nie werk vir my nie.   :eek7: :biggrin:

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 10:40:53 am »

How will it do with a 1.9m tall, 100kg blob and some lugguage around say 30kg?
[/quote]Not good with the stock rear shock, I'm 80kg 177m and it's perfect for me.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Scalpel

BMW R80G/S PD is the original DS bike!!