Mounting Numberplates on modern Motorcycles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Although this hardly qualify as remotely "technical", I have been faced with this dilemma on 4 motorcycles in the last 18 months.
XR150L, Kawasakzi Z650 and now a 1200GS. (My 701 was the only one I could get it on with ok results.) All of them it is virtually impossible to mount a numberplate holder properly.
The small mounting surfaces on the bike with little room above the holes, renders the provided slots on the holders that I can get around here useless.
On the Z650, I drilled my own holes in the holder so that they can line up, but on the first trip I lost the bracket and plate. The XR150 lasted a bit longer, and I caught that it was broken before I lost that as well. I resorted to making my own brackets for both bikes out of a black 20l plastic chemical can. The holder I got with the new plate is also incompatible with my 1200GS. I will have to check if I can find another black piece of plastic can to make one as well.

My point of this thread, why are holders that can be mounted on modern motorcycles not more available on the market?

Attachments

• holder.jpg
    holder.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 361