Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: AT - Garmin & Hella plug installation in JHB  (Read 348 times)

Offline Bebob

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
AT - Garmin & Hella plug installation in JHB
« on: November 08, 2018, 01:21:53 pm »
Hi there

Was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to go for installation of a Garmin and hella plug in Joburg (Randburg) area on an Africa Twin. I do know of GPS4Africa and places in benoni/kempton but needed something closer to home.

PS. before anyone says anything, I was thinking of doing it myself but I have soft keyboard hands and don't know a bolt from a nut  ;D

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: AT - Garmin & Hella plug installation in JHB
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 01:27:21 pm »
Is there a position you want it in?
Pic?
The wiring is pretty straighforward if you dont want it linked to your ignition?
Or is there a power output linked to the wiring harness (like the BMW)
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 01:43:17 pm »
I wired mine straight to the battery. If you buy the genuine Honda plugs then its a straight plug and play affair.
There is a power point under the seat you could use as well, but in the end I just put a wire straight through with a inline fuse. Might put a little on/off toggle switch in there somewhere still

Slight PITA though, as you have to remove the left side fairing if you want to mount it into that plug space in front
KTM 1190 R
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline Bebob

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 06:33:56 am »
Thanks for the advice I did some homework (youtube surfing) and it seems that there is a wiring harness in the front by the lights, but you have to remove a lot of stuff.

Maybe over the weekend I must have a beer and build up some dutch courage and attempt it or just take it to the professionals :-)

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 07:03:28 am »
Thanks for the advice I did some homework (youtube surfing) and it seems that there is a wiring harness in the front by the lights, but you have to remove a lot of stuff.

Maybe over the weekend I must have a beer and build up some dutch courage and attempt it or just take it to the professionals :-)

Care to share that video?
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 07:13:06 am »

Yes, you have to remove the left side fairing. But then you also need the right connector. This is where the OEM plug comes in handy
The easiest one is the plug underneath the seat. As far as I know, it also runs via the ignition
KTM 1190 R
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline RobLH

• Pack Dog
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 07:30:01 am »
I had mine done at Honda Umhlanga and they used the power point under the seat. They mentioned it was better suited if you wanted to use a pump.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 07:33:31 am »

I would go for it - the secondary advantage is that you then know how to remove those bits of the fairing & stuff.
Get the OEM plug and fit it yourself - also, doing it from the harness means it will run off of the ignition power, and be fused already.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

The following users thanked this post: Bebob

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 08:16:50 am »
Just be very careful when removing those push pin fairing clips. They can break or fall into deep dark holes. Same with the screen bolts and the little rubber at the back
KTM 1190 R
Mpandla - The bald one

The following users thanked this post: Bebob

Offline Bebob

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 12:12:20 pm »

Care to share that video?

here you go: one for the front and one for the back under the seat.

https://youtu.be/bchAlzBt36o

https://youtu.be/2scIi2AuXDo

The following users thanked this post: Mikie

Offline AdventureBoy

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:25:18 pm »
Hi Bebop
I installed the Honda plug into the front socket on my Africa Twin a while ago. Took a long time to do as it was the first time I took the fairings off. It will probably cost quite a bit to get a dealer to install as they would charge per hour. It is not a difficult job, you just need to be careful. If you decide to do it yourself and get stuck you are welcome to give me a call, as I am also in Randburg. Drop me a message on WD.

AdventureBoy

Offline dieseldawie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 12:55:12 pm »
Did mine myself as well. Go the plug from @Runner who got from Mike at Rockfox. Wire a USB and my Garmin at the same time
Where are my shorts??

Offline Bebob

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 03:13:46 pm »
Hi Bebop
I installed the Honda plug into the front socket on my Africa Twin a while ago. Took a long time to do as it was the first time I took the fairings off. It will probably cost quite a bit to get a dealer to install as they would charge per hour. It is not a difficult job, you just need to be careful. If you decide to do it yourself and get stuck you are welcome to give me a call, as I am also in Randburg. Drop me a message on WD.

AdventureBoy

Thank you, Im, busy building up the courage to do it myself.