Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Harties suburbs??  (Read 638 times)

Offline Dwerg

Harties suburbs??
« on: November 12, 2018, 06:48:18 am »
Anyone who lives in suburbs in and around Hartbeespoort dam? I see a lot of good value houses for overlooking dam/mountains. Specifically Kosmos but in general as well. What is like to live in/around Harties? It's the same distance from my office as our house in PTA and the houses and views for similar prices can't be found in my area.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:49:19 am by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
Re: Harties suburbs??
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 07:09:36 am »
Anyone who lives in suburbs in and around Hartbeespoort dam? I see a lot of good value houses for overlooking dam/mountains. Specifically Kosmos but in general as well. What is like to live in/around Harties? It's the same distance from my office as our house in PTA and the houses and views for similar prices can't be found in my area.

I have a colleague who lives there and commutes in to Menlyn every day. 

They have severe crime issues, house breaks and the like, and he's had to spend a small fortune on security stuff.

He lives on the other side of the dam wall, in the main part of town - Schoemansville - so this may or may not apply to where you're looking.

The other major disadvantage for me, and it's kind of a deal breaker, is that you'll be driving around with a mielie on your numberplate.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 07:21:28 am »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: yeah the thought of having a NW plate......

This is also on the east side of the dam but to give you an idea what I am talking about, look at this. Ugly as sin but 576sqm, 4 garages. In PTA you'd struggle to get that for 5 let alone 3.

https://www.privateproperty.co.za/for-sale/north-west/hartbeespoort-dam/xanadu/spoonbill-way/S552919
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 07:34:39 am »
my sister lives in one of the estates, in a smallish 3 bedroom house on the south/west side of the dam, happy as anything. big open spaces, massive country estates, tight knit community and facilities, outdoor enthusiast heaven. kids go to the nearby private school. i would live there if I wasnt working in sandton. new super spar complex coming up that side, so its a growing area.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:36:31 am by dirtyXT »
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - current

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 08:00:20 am »
:imaposer: :imaposer: yeah the thought of having a NW plate......

This is also on the east side of the dam but to give you an idea what I am talking about, look at this. Ugly as sin but 576sqm, 4 garages. In PTA you'd struggle to get that for 5 let alone 3.

https://www.privateproperty.co.za/for-sale/north-west/hartbeespoort-dam/xanadu/spoonbill-way/S552919

Ugly as sin and needs a lot of work!

The important thing to consider is whether you'd have enough rooms for all your friends to sleep over.  And your drinks routine would need some adjusting.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 08:02:33 am »
Ugly as sin and needs a lot of work!

The important thing to consider is whether you'd have enough rooms for all your friends to sleep over.  And your drinks routine would need some adjusting.

This is actually the one that sparked my interest. Plenty of sleep over space and that view  :o :o

https://www.privateproperty.co.za/for-sale/north-west/hartbeespoort-dam/kosmos/T1619533
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:04:28 am by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 08:08:06 am »
This is actually the one that sparked my interest. Plenty of sleep over space and that view  :o :o

https://www.privateproperty.co.za/for-sale/north-west/hartbeespoort-dam/kosmos/T1619533

Fok, that's nice!

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 08:18:37 am »

Fok, that's nice!

VERY!!

And at the price?!?!

What is your work-from-home arrangement?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:19:08 am by IDR »

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 08:26:09 am »

Fok, that's nice!

VERY!!

And at the price?!?!

What is your work-from-home arrangement?

I suppose I can arrange to work from home, a lot of the staff members do on and off but the commute doesn't really bother me and it's a little easier to sort out issues in person at the office.

But let's not kid ourselves, I'd have to sell a few things including our current house first. Just enquiring about the area to see if it's worth pursuing for now
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 10:13:48 am »
Kosmos is apparently a bit dodgy security wise
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 10:18:47 am »
I had a look through the private property site - alarming how many houses stand empty in Xanadu as well...

There's probably a reason why property is so cheap there.

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 10:27:05 am »
We used to stay in Harrington road in Schoemansville but the crime was just too much, I used to have to park my bike in the lounge, we had a number of break ins and petty theft.

I think a complex with access control is a far better option.

My only major issue was with  the water, you cannot drink the tap water :puke_r:

There was a shopping centre at Xanadu's entrance but that looks pretty much abandoned now. Xanadu is more of a retirement place and I think there is an age limit before you can live there.

The only other problem I really have is on weekends if you need to hop into town and cross that damm wall, dont do it in the car as it takes hours sometimes.

There are some really nice places around Harties and housing is really affordable compared to JHB/PTA

I now stay on the other side of the dam in Skeerpoort, but at least we are getting Fibre so working from home is now an option, and we can drink the tap water as our complex filters the water out of the magalies river.

I've never been a city person so being in the Bush works well for me.

2005 Fugly
Painted Matt Black with Stonechip
Doohickey
F1X exhaust
HID light Givi Crash bars Bash plate Heated Grips  Tool Tube Big foot pegs

Offline GRIM

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 10:29:15 am »
I had a look through the private property site - alarming how many houses stand empty in Xanadu as well...

I own the farm next to Xanadu, and family owns the next two farms.
There is absolutely no demand for property in the area.
I would love to live there, but I travel a lot and would have to leave my wife and son alone there, and this is simply not an acceptable risk for me. In addition, I grew up being able to relax there, now, every couple of nights you get woken up by your security system and have to wander around with the shotgun wondering what is going missing or who is breaking in. Not the kind of lifestyle that I want. It's sad.

Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 11:38:06 am »

I own the farm next to Xanadu, and family owns the next two farms.
There is absolutely no demand for property in the area.
I would love to live there, but I travel a lot and would have to leave my wife and son alone there, and this is simply not an acceptable risk for me. In addition, I grew up being able to relax there, now, every couple of nights you get woken up by your security system and have to wander around with the shotgun wondering what is going missing or who is breaking in. Not the kind of lifestyle that I want. It's sad.

I leave my wife alone at home often with all the biking trips so security is very high on our list. So by all accounts, Harties isn't the best option. Pity.
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline MonkeyNot

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 02:33:42 pm »
Dis baie mooi maar jy kan nie soontoe trek nie, jy lyk nie soos die gewone Upperdeck of Legends materiaal nie... :peepwall:
Current: KTM 950 Super Enduro R,  KTM 500 XCW-F
Previous: KTM 990 Adventure, BMW G650 X-Challenge x3,  Yamaha XT 660R,  Honda XR650L, BMW R1200GS

Offline lpj

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 03:40:31 pm »
I grew up there - used to be very nice.

But you are now part of the Madibeng Municipality, which is probably still in the top 10 of most fucked up/corrupt municipalities around.

Personally, I think it's a dump - but that is comparing it to how it was, not to anything else out there at the moment.

PS: My folks lived in Xanadu until about 2 years ago, and they never had security issues. Also no burglar bars, no fence around their spot etc, so it might be better in the estates.

Offline lpj

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 03:46:25 pm »
I grew up there - used to be very nice.

But you are now part of the Madibeng Municipality, which is probably still in the top 10 of most fucked up/corrupt municipalities around.

Personally, I think it's a dump - but that is comparing it to how it was, not to anything else out there at the moment.

PS: My folks lived in Xanadu until about 2 years ago, and they never had security issues. Also no burglar bars, no fence around their spot etc, so it might be better in the estates.

Some links...

https://www.iol.co.za/business-report/economy/these-are-the-best-and-worst-performing-municipalities-report-15042901
https://kormorant.co.za/21174/madibeng-worst-performing-municipality-in-south-africa/

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 08:32:35 am »
I would not live in Kosmos if they gave me a 4 story mansion there for free. It used to be nice, but now it is a shit hole of note. Unless of course if you enjoy having Nigerians as neighbors :imaposer:
Driving around there this past Sunday you can literally see the squatter camps encroaching on the suburbs. No freaking way!   
Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them enters suffering in order that they may have existence.  Léon Bloy