Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Onnie's KTM 640 Adventure  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Anyone know this bike? KTM 640 - Pretoria based - Now in the Vaal
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2020, 12:41:45 pm »
Thank you for the input, I went with the upper clearance 0.15mm - it took me a while to master it but I think i got them spot on.  (I hope)

Battery does not have enough power to turn the engine, and kickstarting is much harder than it used to be, I take this as a good sign, I poured some petrol into the intake to see if it will fire up before I reassemble and it did once and quickly.

battery is on charge now, will try start is a bit later
Forgot to add i removed the decompression cable is its about the tear - will replace after lockdown

Not sure on that motor, but I assume it is one rocker operating both valves? I so, you need feeler gauges in both tappets at the same time, otherwise you wont get incorrect readings as it rocks on the spindle.  :sip:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline BuRP

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2020, 12:46:46 pm »
the valve lash spec is no longer a single number, but a rather large variable 0.12 - 0.15mm

Onnie,

whoever wrote that has either a good sense of humour or he's an idjit - 0.03mm span is a 'large variable'?  :imaposer:
That's the same like a bookkeeper making a big problem about a multimillion balance sheet not balancing due to R5 missing somewhere  :P

That span is negligeable, even difficult to determine with feeler gauges for an experienced dude - I'd say you'd need a dial to determine such accurately!
Set it to 0.15mm (which means your gauge must juuuust be able to move inbetween without using excessive force (yes, that's vague but comes down to experience)) and Bob's your Uncle  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline onderbroek

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2020, 01:13:37 pm »
the valve lash spec is no longer a single number, but a rather large variable 0.12 - 0.15mm

Onnie,

whoever wrote that has either a good sense of humour or he's an idjit - 0.03mm span is a 'large variable'?  :imaposer:
That's the same like a bookkeeper making a big problem about a multimillion balance sheet not balancing due to R5 missing somewhere  :P

That span is negligible, even difficult to determine with feeler gauges for an experienced dude - I'd say you'd need a dial to determine such accurately!
Set it to 0.15mm (which means your gauge must juuuust be able to move inbetween without using excessive force (yes, that's vague but comes down to experience)) and Bob's your Uncle  :thumleft:

lots of stuff confusing me now, I used this page as a guide.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-to-inspect-the-valves-on-a-ktm-lc4-in-three-easy-steps.55445/

@Welsh  I hope that is not the case,  most tutorials I looked at only used one feeler gauge.
hak vrystaat

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2020, 01:37:25 pm »

Onnie,

That span is negligible, even difficult to determine with feeler gauges for an experienced dude - I'd say you'd need a dial to determine such accurately!

lots of stuff confusing me now, I used this page as a guide.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-to-inspect-the-valves-on-a-ktm-lc4-in-three-easy-steps.55445/

@Welsh  I hope that is not the case,  most tutorials I looked at only used one feeler gauge.

I see that, although he says loosen both even if you only adjust one? don't know these motors too well sorry.  :thumleft:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2020, 02:48:39 pm »
loosen both even if you only adjust one?

Yes of course: if one's too tight the other will be lifted?
Duh!
Loosen both, then adjust each one with a feeler gauge, and one at a time!
No rocket science here.... and IF (IF!) the forked rocker rocks axially then you have entirely different problems  ;)
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2020, 02:54:07 pm »
loosen both even if you only adjust one?

Yes of course: if one's too tight the other will be lifted?
Duh!
Loosen both, then adjust each one with a feeler gauge, and one at a time!
No rocket science here.... and IF (IF!) the forked rocker rocks axially then you have entirely different problems  ;)

I only advise from the BMW R11xx series, two feeler guages is a mandatory, one is inaccurate.  8)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2020, 04:01:49 pm »
Thank you for the input, I went with the upper clearance 0.15mm - it took me a while to master it but I think i got them spot on.  (I hope)

Battery does not have enough power to turn the engine, and kickstarting is much harder than it used to be, I take this as a good sign, I poured some petrol into the intake to see if it will fire up before I reassemble and it did once and quickly.

Should be easier to kick with proper set valve clearances, huh? Mine kicked first time every time.

Sure you set the clearance on TDC on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke?
Always a bit confusing on 4 strokes. Trick I use is if I see the marks line up I wiggle both the exhaust and intake rockers. If there is slight plat itís TDC compression stroke, no play go around again
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2020, 04:12:31 pm »

Should be easier to kick with proper set valve clearances, huh? Mine kicked first time every time.

Sure you set the clearance on TDC on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke?
Always a bit confusing on 4 strokes. Trick I use is if I see the marks line up I wiggle both the exhaust and intake rockers. If there is slight plat itís TDC compression stroke, no play go around again

There was slight wiggle on both rockers before i started so I had it on TDC - used a torch to look at the piston and it was way up.

Could the hard kickstart have anything to do with the removal of the decompression cable?

Its currenly resting like this with no cable attached (not my pic just example)

Battery is charging at 14 volts but still cant turn engine over...
hak vrystaat

Offline Dolf

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2020, 02:41:06 pm »

There was slight wiggle on both rockers before i started so I had it on TDC - used a torch to look at the piston and it was way up.

Could the hard kickstart have anything to do with the removal of the decompression cable?

Its currenly resting like this with no cable attached (not my pic just example)

Battery is charging at 14 volts but still cant turn engine over...

But the piston would be up on the compression and exhaust strokes.

The following users thanked this post: onderbroek

Offline onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2020, 04:25:12 pm »
@Dolf  I think you were on the money.

1st time around I did valves on exhaust stroke - compression was very high, kickstart was very hard (impossible) , started also struggled even when jump starting

2nd time around after rewatching tutorials and reading Creepers post on advrider.

She's running smoothly know, this was a cold start using kickstart as the battery is tired.  probably about 6 kicks.

hak vrystaat

Offline Dolf

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2020, 06:32:48 pm »
@Dolf  I think you were on the money.

1st time around I did valves on exhaust stroke - compression was very high, kickstart was very hard (impossible) , started also struggled even when jump starting

2nd time around after rewatching tutorials and reading Creepers post on advrider.

She's running smoothly know, this was a cold start using kickstart as the battery is tired.  probably about 6 kicks.

She purrs  :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: onderbroek

Offline onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2020, 06:52:08 am »
I have done one or 2 grocery runs with the bike, but yesterday I had a chance to do an essential trip of about 120km dirt road.

I left home quite early but barely managed 5km before the bike died, it starts but dies again immediately.

I pulled the choke open, and it starts, but when I give it throttle it dies again.  I managed to limp home keeping the revs low.

I suppose its some type of fuelling issue.   I Will see if I can take the carb off during the week to investigate.
hak vrystaat

Offline onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
Onnie's KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2020, 03:14:38 pm »
Stripped the carb off the bike suspecting a blocked jet.

Turned out the needle broke off completely.

Diaphragms and the rest still look good. so at this stage I'm only replacing the needle.

turns out it is a common fault on the BST40 mikuni:

Very nice detailed post on bst 40 carb:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-bst-40-bible.347184/
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 03:27:06 pm by onderbroek »
hak vrystaat

Offline onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
Re: Onnie's KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2020, 10:12:34 am »
overdue update

I ordered new parts for the carb.
Needle Jet 689 x-6
Throttle valve "1"
Throttle Valve guide plastic
Jet Needle 6g5

Reassembled and put it back into the bike, jumpstarted with bakkie and she fired away.

Put everything back together except the decompression cable which has been taken in for repairs. I really could not kickstart it without a decompression cable, I managed to get it once, but only once, LC4 Experts please advise I take it the decompression cable is crucial to get the engine at the right place for kickstarting?

I installed an inline fuel filter, replaced some fuel hoses.

I'm sure I took photos of the assembly but can't find anything now, anyway here is photos I have and a short video

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:23:35 am by onderbroek »
hak vrystaat

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2020, 10:25:25 am »
overdue update

I ordered new parts for the carb.
Needle, slide guide, and a couple of other things.

Reassembled and put it back into the bike, jumpstarted with bakkie and she fired away.

Put everything back together except the decompression cable which has been taken in for repairs. I really could not kickstart it without a decompression cable, I managed to get it once, but only once, LC4 Experts please advise I take it the decompression cable is crucial to get the engine at the right place for kickstarting?

I installed an inline fuel filter, replaced some fuel hoses.

I'm sure I took photos of the assembly but can't find anything now, anyway here is photos I have and a short video

I Have a customer in Krugersdorp called The Cableman - they will take your cable and make you a new one using your parts and replacing the damaged bits only - 011-953-4626/7 - thecableman.co.za
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:26:09 am by ClimbingTurtle »
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2020, 10:25:30 am »
Old parts

I also installed a new battery finally

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:26:10 am by onderbroek »
hak vrystaat

Offline onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2020, 10:27:07 am »

I Have a customer in Krugersdorp called The Cableman - they will take your cable and make you a new one using your parts and replacing the damaged bits only - 011-953-4626/7 - thecableman.co.za

I took it to a local Sasoburg Tannie who does the same, she will have it ready a bit later today.
hak vrystaat

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2020, 10:31:36 am »

I took it to a local Sasoburg Tannie who does the same, she will have it ready a bit later today.

:thumleft:  :thumleft:  :thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline trevo

• Bike: Matchless (all models)
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2020, 11:27:52 am »

[/quote]

Ken daardie Tannie sy kan n draad trek O0
DILLIGAF

Offline onderbroek

• not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2020, 08:08:11 pm »
Testing went smoothly

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:28:38 pm by onderbroek »
hak vrystaat