Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in ..... WTF moments  (Read 6195 times)

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
Re: Life in ..... WTF moments
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2018, 10:20:07 pm »
A couple of every day wtf momrnts. Metric an statute live side by side here. Fill car up in litres but beer in pints. Miles per gallon an miles per hour.

Seeing how a free (sort of)market works with fuel pricing. In my commute price ranges from 1.17 to 1.35 or so. Thatís around 3 rand 50 difference across garages. Garages on different sides of a street have differ pricing.

Why donít they allow this in za?

Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2018, 08:13:22 am »
A couple of every day wtf moments. Metric an statute live side by side here. Fill car up in litres but beer in pints. Miles per gallon an miles per hour.

That got me in the beginning. Sitting in a meeting and someone mention the area of a building as 1000 square feet then the the next guy mention that is about 10x10m. Later I realised they convert using round figures like 1m≤ = 10ft≤

Architect's attention to the building as a whole and not only their own scope amazed me. All plantrooms and routing was sorted up front and no 'making a plan'

Offline pwt

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2018, 08:18:05 am »
Only in America- going into a tearoom come restaurant come general store and souvenir store, along a motorway in Arizona and find that they have a outdoor shooting range next to the building, where you can fire all sorts of automatic and semi auto's, and the guns are sommer displayed on the wall in the tearoom
Also stumbled on plenty of evidence of saffers that visited and dined at the place

Offline roburt

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2018, 03:22:13 pm »
here in tanzania there is quite a few wtf's good and bad :-)

Good : Can walk 100m from my apartment and find a duca (small local shop) selling everything from milk to beer - just no fridge ..) 90% of supermarkets sell alcohol so  no need to look for liquor store.
Can take my boat out onto the ocean without any licencing for myself or the boat and with all the islands around makes for a great trip :-)

Bad. or interesting :-) : Got stop by a cop last week, he said I broke some law of not stopping at zebra crossing, told him I knew he was there so always stop. then after not finding anything wrong with car showed my my tires manufacturing date is older than 4 years and that iligal (according to him) ...
Rent here up to 2 years ago was also 1 year in advance, big corporates like vodacom had no ishue paying $5k a month 1 year upfront.
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2018, 03:58:46 pm »
My uncle told us about the crazy corruption/bribes with the cops many times.
Time for an Adventure

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2018, 09:18:20 pm »
My sister is doing some renovations which included repainting the study beige - one wall was deep green and the others white.
Somehow there was a communication error and only the white walls got painted beige. When the painter was asked why the green wall wasn't painted, he answered "Because I don't have green paint."

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2018, 03:14:13 am »
I was out in Reading, on the lash as you me does at ones xmas party. Walk to station in Reading....get on train, climb off train in Guildford....always amazed at the amount of single woman I see walking around, even at ATMs drawing money and completely,safe....itís always a jolt to the system that that is how normal societies operate.

Other wtf is that ppl of,Asian, Indian, African heritage ( an others) d, you always expect a certain accent when they speak and when they do speak they sound more English than a cockney..... thatís a lil cognitive dissonance I tell you.
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2018, 11:25:08 am »
I was out in Reading, on the lash as you me does at ones xmas party. Walk to station in Reading....get on train, climb off train in Guildford....always amazed at the amount of single woman I see walking around, even at ATMs drawing money and completely,safe....itís always a jolt to the system that that is how normal societies operate.

Where I feel safe and not safe in SA had no relation to experience in SA.  Dark dodgy streets with building works were often the safe areas. Housing areas with kids were dodgy again as they might throw you with eggs or in extreme cases maybe get a knife pointed at you.

Once walked into the wrong local bar but they made us immediately feel we are in the wrong place and we left without ordering anything to drink.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2018, 11:31:49 am »
Driving around in Northern Ireland was a different experience.  You could see from markings and colours which streets were Catholic vs Protestant.
Vehicle keep their registration and I did not take notice when I bought the Jeep (Came from County Mayo)

Drove into the wrong exhaust or tyre shop to have something checked out and the whole shop just cleared out. 
When I got out and called the last guy walking away he heard my accent and turned back to help me.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2018, 01:12:07 pm »
From time to time I use my ZA credit card to make sure it still works and keep the account active. Last night I go watch Leicester spurs game in pub and mate and i some beers, R183 rand off my account,,,,,

Now that is seriously WTF hey.
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2018, 07:44:50 am »
From time to time I use my ZA credit card to make sure it still works and keep the account active. Last night I go watch Leicester spurs game in pub and mate and i some beers, R183 rand off my account,,,,,

Thats not too bad
That would be about 6 draughts at the Baron
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2018, 04:22:15 pm »

Thats not too bad

At R183 I presume that was just two beers?

Could not get 4 beers for that price ten years ago.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2018, 05:11:53 pm »

Thats not too bad

At R183 I presume that was just two beers?

Could not get 4 beers for that price ten years ago.

Yip, 2 pints. 9.80 pounds.
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2018, 05:34:43 pm »
Lotta money for 2 beers.
Is that more or less the gowing rate, or were you at a white collar pub?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:35:41 pm by Ganjora »

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2018, 05:41:14 pm »
Lotta money for 2 beers.
Is that more or less the gowing rate, or were you at a white collar pub?

Cheapest in my town for Fosters is around 4.20.

Where my sister in law lives in Cornwall itís around 2.90. In some spots of London 5.50.

You can buy Fosters 440 ml cans of 18 for around 10 pounds at supermarkets.

As soon as someone does,something for you it becomes hellish expensive.

( just using Fosters as an example , same applies for Carling and the lager type beers, for ales etc itís,more expensive but I am a lager lout)
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2018, 06:23:09 am »
Driving home yesterday, about a block from my house, I find myself behind a Corolla with the right passenger door open. Whilst driving. Immediately cautious I hang back. I can see the driver looking around inside the car, then he opens and closes his door. There must have been a door open warning on the dash.

He then proceeds to drive down the street, still completely oblivious to the fact his passenger door is wide open. So oblivious he misses a Jeep by a few centimeters. The driver of the Jeep has to wind down his window and shout at the guy that his passenger door is open.

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2019, 06:57:47 pm »
 :sip:
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2019, 08:16:38 am »
Driving home yesterday, about a block from my house, I find myself behind a Corolla with the right passenger door open. Whilst driving. Immediately cautious I hang back. I can see the driver looking around inside the car, then he opens and closes his door. There must have been a door open warning on the dash.

He then proceeds to drive down the street, still completely oblivious to the fact his passenger door is wide open. So oblivious he misses a Jeep by a few centimeters. The driver of the Jeep has to wind down his window and shout at the guy that his passenger door is open.

The down side to Marijuana being legalised
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2019, 01:05:27 pm »
Melbourne is normally one of the cooler cities on the east coast - but not today...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:06:04 pm by Sylvester »
If force does not help, you are not using enough...

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2019, 01:25:35 pm »

Thats not too bad

You haven't been there recently, maybe 5  8)
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike