Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in ..... WTF moments  (Read 6055 times)

ChrisD200 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
Life in ..... WTF moments
« on: November 12, 2018, 08:57:19 pm »
So many people here are settled in foreign countries or where living there for a while.

Add some of your experiences, especially those that you can remember from the first few weeks or months you were located in a new place.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:44:25 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Live in ..... WTF moments
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 09:01:40 pm »
 :biggrin: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=223701.300

Just my repost of this morning :

I had some but funny enough one that really stuck is one that i saw last night and then walking to the train station this morning.

So its the first all sun good week wellington is having for the summer apparently and everyone is thus doing gardening. Last night saw lots of ppl gardening but the thing i notice this morning is that ALL their tools, wheelbarrows, spades etc was STILL lying outside... one guy at least had the decency to prop it up against the house wall :patch: No fear of theft - This no fear of theft might spike my paranoia even more  :lol8:

I think that's the biggest WTF everytime I notice it...people here are very trusting and even petty crime is minimal. - one example and you gonna love this. The police came to our offices yesterday. Now as a saffer my immediate thought was oh crap they here for someone and I check that I have my passport on me  :imaposer:

Nope, they just here to let us know the guy that tagged (slang word for spraying graffiti on structures) has been caught in the morning and they are the case officers.  :eek7: :eek7: I nearly fell on my back

oh, then one last thing, people are proud people here. Saw again this morning random strangers picking up a paper bag, or chip packet or bottle that the cleaners missed and throwing it away. City is clean!

Offline Offshore

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 09:02:34 pm »
 :sip:

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 09:12:50 pm »
Some of mine in Ireland

Lunch, came out of my office and the whole building was empty, walked up and down and someone came back into the office from the sandwich shop and explained it was lunch and people actually go out for lunch.

Later I often joined and went to the pub for lunch. The pubs convert to a lunch venue with a kinda buffet. A pint or small wine was also not a problem.
Being Ireland their side dishes obviously included loads of different potato dishes.  (Kinda opposite of the potato famine - the little I know about it)

The first contractor I met while doing a job in a hotel penthouse I did not understand a word he was saying. Thought he was speaking another language till his boss told him to talk slower and I started to understand bits.

Accents: Could later distinguish between some of the different accents but which amazed me was that some people would only live about 30km apart.  That is halfway to work for many in Gauteng.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 09:15:22 pm »
Just my repost of this morning :

Please copy more of them here from your thread as you experience them  :thumleft:

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 09:21:43 pm »
Nope, they just here to let us know the guy that tagged (slang word for spraying graffiti on structures) has been caught in the morning and they are the case officers.  :eek7: :eek7: I nearly fell on my back

Kinda had an opposite experience.  Saw this street with load of graffiti. Got a dodgy feeling and thought how the hell do they allow this and not clean it.

Then a friend told me it is Windmill lane and part of the old U2 studios.  Something to the effect that they encouraged graffiti there and it became famous.

Searched a bit now and see they are demolishing the studios but keeping the walls.  ;D

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 09:23:21 pm »
I actually stayed in the flats on the right in the image above and walked the street every day.

Offline Pumbaa

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 09:39:55 pm »
Every year around this time, this happens here in the Netherlands.  Normally some low key protesting about it and perhaps very slowly dying out, but it will take years for that to happen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline immigrant

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 11:21:17 pm »
There is a free daycare out our local high school.....not for the teachers kids......but for the students kids  :eek7:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:21:44 pm by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 12:00:41 am »
Ive been in the UK  since January and still smile when the traffic comes to a standstill because of a fender bender, The emergency lane is clear or if there is no emergency lane, the cars part for emergency service vehicles. Not one taxi in the way, blocking the lane or tailgating the ambulance.

Many years ago, after watching American movies and laughing how they always left their cars unlocked, I got to visit the USA. I drove from cost to coast and my eyes were opened. I saw people not only leave their cars unlocked but also the engine running to keep the a/c on whilst they went into the shop (Summer in Las Vegas)
In Montana a bakkie pulled up at the shops and left it unlocked. Gun rack behind the seat up against the window in full view with two rifles attached. No problem.

Its a different world out there.

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 12:45:39 am »
Afica is Not for Sissies here they do as they please. All I can say is TTFU we in for the long haul for those that cannot Afford/Leave!!  :(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:47:44 am by Oshkosh »
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 12:34:30 pm »
Small-ish town in Germany, at the most popular pub ( got very crowded for a small town ), hang your jacket up somewhere with wallet in pocket. Go to the bar and order your first drink for the evening, bar lady plonks it down on the counter on a coaster/beer-mat with a little pen mark on it. Next drink you hand her the coaster and she makes another mark. At the end of the evening when you're done you hand her the coaster and she tallies up and you go retrieve your wallet from your jacket and you pay and leave.

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 01:00:55 pm »
There is a free daycare out our local high school.....not for the teachers kids......but for the students kids  :eek7:

Gedink dis 'n Brakpan grappie daai. :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline immigrant

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 11:51:54 pm »
They send firearms in the mail..... :thumleft:
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline pwt

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 01:28:22 am »
Ordering stuff on Amazon.com and the parcel was delivered whilst we were out and they sommer left it outside the front door
Also, arriving at the Mc Carran airport in Las Vegas and discover that the luggage carrousel is in a open arrival section of the airport, my family that came to fetch me stood at the carousel waiting for me, quite unreal

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 02:44:31 am »
When I first arrived in the US I was amazed that people park their larny cars outside.

Either in the street, or just in their driveways. And most cars are not even locked.

When I started working as a handyman I left all my stuff on the back of my bakkie in plastic bins to save them from the rain, and nothing was ever taken. Not even from the parking lot at Walmart.

Inside the bank you are in direct contact with the teller, no bullet-proof glass and kak.

Stuck in a traffic jam on the highway, not a single person comes past in the emergency lane.

When you go to a restaurant and you get your bill. You just give the waitress your bank card / credit card. They swipe it for the restaurant bill. Then they bring you a receipt, and on the receipt you can then enter the amount for the tip. They will later on process the tip amount without your card. They never cheat you...

At Walmart they have self-checkout counters, at Home Depot too. You take your stuff to the checkout, scan them, put them in a bag. Then touch the screen to pay, and pay with your card or cash. Then you take your receipt and go. Trust...

Many more, but another day.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline WimC

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 11:33:02 am »
Took my son to our local council office to renew his driver’s licence 3 o’clock on a Friday afternoon. Lo and behold, there is one bloke in the queue in front of us. As we get to the desk, the friendly lady make small talk about the weather, fishing conditions etc. while efficiently attending to us. A massively pleasant experience!
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Yamaha WR250R

Online Boerbok

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 01:27:11 pm »
First morning waking up in Melbourne, I hear this strange “electronic” tune coming from outside. It took me a few days to figure out it’s the sound of the local wildlife, the call of a Magpie:

These birds are everywhere. They are native to Aus, remind me of a crow, but is actually family of the butcherbird and is extremely clever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_magpie

During spring, some males would swoop anyone who comes close to their nest. It gives rise to inventions like the anti-magpie bicycle helmet:  :deal:

Vir die kersie op die koek, beetroot is apparently “a thing” on hamburgers...  :eek7:

https://www.grilld.com.au/menu/mighty-melbourne
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:56:19 pm by Boerbok »
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 02:36:45 pm »
My WTf moment was this morning. When I left ZA I had a bag full of puricos which I take to keep gout at bay. Well I am now in last pack so I reluctantly made an appointment with the local doctor as I hate dealing with bullshit and buaracracy. I called yesterday and my appointment was scheduled for 09:10 this morning. I was kinda surprised how quick I got an appointment and told the lady that I was in no rush but she said no worries the appointment is good.

I walk up to the doctors,rooms this morning, I get there at 09:05, check in electronically and sit in the room. At 09:12 the doctor calls my name. I just sat there open mouthed. Chat to doc tell her why I am there. She gives me a prescription and says let’s just check blood to ensure I still need to take puricos. I said cool. She says make an appointment for nurse to take blood on your way out. At reception I say can I make an appointment for when there is a gap. No rush. Lady says can I do in 15 minutes time. I said that’s amazing. Filled prescription and was back for blood at allotted time. Nurse took blood and said results will be available by Friday.

Seriously, WTF moment I just stood there with mouth open....how the fuck is that possible.

I was home by 09:50 .....seen doc, filled prescription and had blood drawn. They will test for uric acid levels and cholesterol and and and....

Total cost, 8 pounds an 80 pence for the chemists professional fee. Everything was pasella.... if I was unemployed or over 60 or or or or it would have cost nothing.

I am humbled to be in an environment that works this bloody well.....
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 02:52:40 pm »
Life in Riversdal.  Western Cape

Made appointment to see a new doctor for a yearly checkup. since we moved here.
On time he get called in. From the start we had a good chat.
Next day he phones me with the blood results.

My son had a blackout at school.  Wife go to doctor.  Take him in immediatly.  Check him out.
Next morning Doctor phone me enquiringly how my so is.

Doctor gives me a cell number...You phone this number any time you have an emergency...we even come to your house.

Now that is service I like.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

The following users thanked this post: IceCreamMan