Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in ..... WTF moments  (Read 6400 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
Re: Live in ..... WTF moments
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 03:04:36 pm »
Paris, could order a Heineken with my Big Mac meal instead of a cold drink  8)
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 05:58:14 pm »
Botswana:
Had to refuel the aircraft and parked at one of the two pumps.
Fuel guy comes out with book in hand, then realizes it's the book for the other pump. Rather than walking the 20m return trip to retrieve the correct book, he and the (local) pilot decide it will be much more efficient to manoeuvre the 1.2ton+ aircraft to the other pump...

Hong Kong:
My first time this far east, and in such a huge city. The size of buildings, the amount of people, the cleanliness and the lack of humanity- everyone is like a robot in their own little bubble.
Also, the number of elderly ladies doing jobs like cleaning airport toilets.

New Zealand:
On a domestic flight, the self check-in and bag drop, lack of security check (we boarded with a cooler bag/chilly bin full of drinks and food), and lack of separate areas (check in/arrivals/waiting areas are all one).
Air NZ also serves cookies and coffee  :3some: :3some:

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 06:12:39 pm »
Botswana:
Had to refuel the aircraft and parked at one of the two pumps.
Fuel guy comes out with book in hand, then realizes it's the book for the other pump. Rather than walking the 20m return trip to retrieve the correct book, he and the (local) pilot decide it will be much more efficient to manoeuvre the 1.2ton+ aircraft to the other pump...

:laughing4: :laughing4:  Dealing with this Africa logic on a daily basis.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 06:15:16 pm »
Ireland:
Bought a car and insurance is mandatory. Had to pay insurance in advance for the whole year.  The old Jeep was cheap and the year insurance about half the price of the Jeep

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 07:05:25 pm »
My WTf moment was this morning. When I left ZA I had a bag full of puricos which I take to keep gout at bay. Well I am now in last pack so I reluctantly made an appointment with the local doctor as I hate dealing with bullshit and buaracracy. I called yesterday and my appointment was scheduled for 09:10 this morning. I was kinda surprised how quick I got an appointment and told the lady that I was in no rush but she said no worries the appointment is good.

I walk up to the doctors,rooms this morning, I get there at 09:05, check in electronically and sit in the room. At 09:12 the doctor calls my name. I just sat there open mouthed. Chat to doc tell her why I am there. She gives me a prescription and says letís just check blood to ensure I still need to take puricos. I said cool. She says make an appointment for nurse to take blood on your way out. At reception I say can I make an appointment for when there is a gap. No rush. Lady says can I do in 15 minutes time. I said thatís amazing. Filled prescription and was back for blood at allotted time. Nurse took blood and said results will be available by Friday.

Seriously, WTF moment I just stood there with mouth open....how the fuck is that possible.

I was home by 09:50 .....seen doc, filled prescription and had blood drawn. They will test for uric acid levels and cholesterol and and and....

Total cost, 8 pounds an 80 pence for the chemists professional fee. Everything was pasella.... if I was unemployed or over 60 or or or or it would have cost nothing.

I am humbled to be in an environment that works this bloody well.....

:sip: Here in good old RSA phoned Dr. at 17:00 the previous day, got appointment at 08:15 the next day, got there at 08:00 he came to fetch me at 08: 03, I left at 08:15,
how am I going to be impressed by your experience? 
Fuck me, I am not even humbled.  :spitcoffee: :bueller:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 08:13:37 pm »
So Been in NZ just a little over a week...in 5 business days I have:

1. Applied and got my tax number
2. Applied and got my drivers license - here you can do it at any AA
3. applied and got my bank card and bank account
4. applied for car insurance, life insurance and vehicle finance - all done

Only thing I need to still do today is apply for realme - see its a system where you register with all your person details. - they then verify your address and you need to go into a post office or bank for them to verify you are real and take a photo of you - once you verified completely on realme you can use your realme account to do various stuff online that would normally require you to go into places, ie banks, IRD (their sars) etc.

:thumleft:

Offline Boerbok

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 04:42:27 am »
A few more WTFís...

Crime may be low, but there are other nasties that lurk in and around the Melbourne coastal areas:

Sea lice causing uncontrollable bleeding:  :patch:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/bloodied-melbourne-teen-eaten-by-mystery-sea-creatures/news-story/f8491eb771b0db371d4980a9bd4e29d0

Flesh eating bug, the Buruli ulcer, is currently doing the rounds (warning, graphic pictures)  :eek7:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-16/flesh-eating-ulcer-cases-rise-amid-urgent-calls-for-funding/9661720

Then there is this, the Nandos $11 WTF special:  :lol8:
ďAvailable every Wed, Thur, Fri, 1/4 Peri-peri chicken + 4 BBQ ribs + ChipsĒ
https://www.nandos.com.au/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:43:45 am by Boerbok »
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 09:12:21 am »
My WTf moment was this morning. When I left ZA I had a bag full of puricos which I take to keep gout at bay. Well I am now in last pack so I reluctantly made an appointment with the local doctor as I hate dealing with bullshit and buaracracy. I called yesterday and my appointment was scheduled for 09:10 this morning. I was kinda surprised how quick I got an appointment and told the lady that I was in no rush but she said no worries the appointment is good.

I walk up to the doctors,rooms this morning, I get there at 09:05, check in electronically and sit in the room. At 09:12 the doctor calls my name. I just sat there open mouthed. Chat to doc tell her why I am there. She gives me a prescription and says letís just check blood to ensure I still need to take puricos. I said cool. She says make an appointment for nurse to take blood on your way out. At reception I say can I make an appointment for when there is a gap. No rush. Lady says can I do in 15 minutes time. I said thatís amazing. Filled prescription and was back for blood at allotted time. Nurse took blood and said results will be available by Friday.

Seriously, WTF moment I just stood there with mouth open....how the fuck is that possible.

I was home by 09:50 .....seen doc, filled prescription and had blood drawn. They will test for uric acid levels and cholesterol and and and....

Total cost, 8 pounds an 80 pence for the chemists professional fee. Everything was pasella.... if I was unemployed or over 60 or or or or it would have cost nothing.

:sip: Here in good old RSA phoned Dr. at 17:00 the previous day, got appointment at 08:15 the next day, got there at 08:00 he came to fetch me at 08: 03, I left at 08:15,

Thatís fantastic service Herklaas. Well done.

Is yours the average experience of a saffa going to a doctor?
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 09:40:37 am »

Certainly is mine...

I suspect for those less fortunate that have to use public medical care the experience would be much, much worse... deadly even.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 09:52:15 am »

Certainly is mine...

I suspect for those less fortunate that have to use public medical care the experience would be much, much worse... deadly even.

You suspect hey. I reckon thatís my WTF moment of today  :pot:
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline GRIM

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 02:15:47 pm »
I the town in Finland that I work in even though drinking and driving is illegal you can get draught beer at the filling station
Alcohol is essentially natureís Leatt Brace Ė with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline TinusBez

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 06:21:46 pm »
First UK (London) business trip because you have keep all the slips for claim purposes. Arrive Heathrow, at small coffee shop somewhere in Greenwich have a toastie and small bite. There you typically order at the counter, pay and sit down. Ask for the slip the cashier looks at me funny, I explain slip, you know thing that shows what I bought "ah you mean the receipt". Yeah that thing.
WC - still gets me every time I'm in the UK

Irish much more friendlier, arrive early, didn't arrange early check in, receptionist says if you wait 15 minutes I'll check you in at no cost but if you want in now there be a 70 Euro charge. Best 15 minute wait ever and she also chatted the whole 15 minutes advising the cool places to visit. Quite the opposite of the London folk, there some east block receptionist will happily tell you to fuck off (in a polite manner) because check is at whatever the time. Outside London (Poole) things change and a lot like in JHB other than the accent and weather. Much more friendlier people.

Tanzania still my favorite place and told Kenya even better. Real friendly people. On the way to hotel you notice these kiosk type things that look like a 1x2m shack but with door missing and a semi window/counter thing. Inside black hanging thing. Eventually the cabbie stops long enough for me to figure out this setup. Piece of meat and the black stuff - flies. I ate cheese and tomato sandwiches with chips for a week, good beer though.

Moz more specifically Maputo for me is a shit hole. Corrupt cops, piss poor service, runny stomach, prostitutes in the lobby wanting to carry your luggage (common in Africa) just annoyed me.

Edit to add Fanta Orange actually tastes like orange juice in the UK unlike the very sweet yet orangy taste here. Tastes like pressed oranges for some reason.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 06:23:37 pm by TinusBez »
KTM: 500 EXC-F current
KTM: 1190 Adv R Sold
Sweat dries, blood clots and bones heal, Suck it up princess

Offline immigrant

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 06:40:51 pm »
I had to go to a bank in Chomoio (Moz) to draw wages. It was literally bags of cash. Had to count it all out to make sure the teller isnít scamming me. In the process I took my reading glasses of because the sweat was dripping off my forehead. After moving all the bags of cash to the bakkie, I realized I left my glasses on the counter. As I go back they lock the doors for lunch. I wait and after lunch I go back to the teller. I ask if he has seen my glasses.... ďnoĒ he says. I look at the teller next to him and see he is wearing my glasses. I ask if I could have it back, and he says ďitís mine  nowĒ....I grabbed it of his head and walked out
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 06:42:26 pm by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline silvrav

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 08:12:22 pm »
First UK (London) business trip because you have keep all the slips for claim purposes. Arrive Heathrow, at small coffee shop somewhere in Greenwich have a toastie and small bite. There you typically order at the counter, pay and sit down. Ask for the slip the cashier looks at me funny, I explain slip, you know thing that shows what I bought "ah you mean the receipt". Yeah that thing.
WC - still gets me every time I'm in the UK

Irish much more friendlier, arrive early, didn't arrange early check in, receptionist says if you wait 15 minutes I'll check you in at no cost but if you want in now there be a 70 Euro charge. Best 15 minute wait ever and she also chatted the whole 15 minutes advising the cool places to visit. Quite the opposite of the London folk, there some east block receptionist will happily tell you to fuck off (in a polite manner) because check is at whatever the time. Outside London (Poole) things change and a lot like in JHB other than the accent and weather. Much more friendlier people.

Tanzania still my favorite place and told Kenya even better. Real friendly people. On the way to hotel you notice these kiosk type things that look like a 1x2m shack but with door missing and a semi window/counter thing. Inside black hanging thing. Eventually the cabbie stops long enough for me to figure out this setup. Piece of meat and the black stuff - flies. I ate cheese and tomato sandwiches with chips for a week, good beer though.

Moz more specifically Maputo for me is a shit hole. Corrupt cops, piss poor service, runny stomach, prostitutes in the lobby wanting to carry your luggage (common in Africa) just annoyed me.

Edit to add Fanta Orange actually tastes like orange juice in the UK unlike the very sweet yet orangy taste here. Tastes like pressed oranges for some reason.

Tanzania is better then Kenya  :thumleft:

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 08:31:11 pm »
 :sip:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 08:52:54 pm »

[/quote]
Ironicly, my daughter would have been blind in her one eye if I had medical aid as it took 13 specialists before they got an way to save it!
With my stroke and my eldest sons heart problems we both got excellent service from government hospitals!
My one friend is paralized due to negligence in a private hospital and my one lady friend is now a vegetable due to another private hospital o ja and my mom got tb while on chemo with medical aid!
So sorry my friend I have a serious problem with the people who rip patients off for money!
That said, I have just taken out accident insurance for when I have an issue away from home and hospitals that I know.
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 05:26:54 am »
When I first arrived in the US I was amazed that people park their larny cars outside.

Either in the street, or just in their driveways. And most cars are not even locked.

When I started working as a handyman I left all my stuff on the back of my bakkie in plastic bins to save them from the rain, and nothing was ever taken. Not even from the parking lot at Walmart.

Inside the bank you are in direct contact with the teller, no bullet-proof glass and kak.

Stuck in a traffic jam on the highway, not a single person comes past in the emergency lane.

When you go to a restaurant and you get your bill. You just give the waitress your bank card / credit card. They swipe it for the restaurant bill. Then they bring you a receipt, and on the receipt you can then enter the amount for the tip. They will later on process the tip amount without your card. They never cheat you...

At Walmart they have self-checkout counters, at Home Depot too. You take your stuff to the checkout, scan them, put them in a bag. Then touch the screen to pay, and pay with your card or cash. Then you take your receipt and go. Trust...

Many more, but another day.  :thumleft:

I can relate to these things.

First time in New York, an old school friend takes us out on a joll in the town. I go to order drinks at the bar, barman makes and hands over the drinks then asks for my credit card. Ok, I will pay as I order. No sir, I keep your card until you leave, then you pay your tab, then you get tour card back. WTF? You want me to trust you with my credit card? Thats how they roll and everybody is ok with it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 05:59:44 am by Gingerball »
Time for an Adventure

Offline Dogmatix

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • None the Wiser
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 09:27:18 pm »
A less impressive WTF. When I was in Chicago in the States for a few months.

Went out to a large festive bar with a good few work colleagues that had become mates. Everyone bought a round each through the night. My turn came around 01h50 so I duly go off to the bar and order about $60 of drinks including a generous tip. Takes me a few trips to get all the drinks to our table and as I take my first sip the lights come on and the music stops - 2am and it shuts down faster than a South African government department at home time.

The bouncers are already shepherding people out of the door so I explain to them that I have just bought the round and we would like to finish our drinks first... bad mistake. He takes me by the scruff and starts marching me out. Outside I wait for the bartender who didn't inform me that I should perhaps not have order so many drinks 5 minutes before they close... shrugs his shoulders.

Similar thing here in New Zealand. My wife and I go out to celebrate our container with our stuff arriving. She orders a bottle of wine and me a beer. I have another during our meal and my wife fills her glass twice from the now half empty bottle. When we start leaving we ask for the top of the wine bottle so we can take the rest with us - after all we paid the equivalent of R300 for an average bottle of rose. "Sorry but you can't take the bottle with you" comes the reply. They are not licensed to sell liquor to be removed from the premises. Now the waitress doesn't mention this when we order a beer, a bottle and one wine glass.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:18:10 am by Dogmatix »
"Don't believe every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 09:40:22 pm »
Never ran into that in Ireland.

But buying rounds were similar.  You are say a group of 10 and some of them you only met that evening but always bought a round for everyone. 
Some evenings you drink for free and others your turn to pay.  Normally just pints of beer and many of the woman also kept up with the rounds.

Offline Jovan

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 09:52:23 pm »
 :sip: