Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in ..... WTF moments  (Read 6325 times)

Offline husky

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
Re: Live in ..... WTF moments
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 01:21:15 pm »
Living in African time where even a calendar is only a guide can lead to surprises in the first world. In Switzerland we stop at a small station with departure time like 10h27. I think, ja right, maybe 10h30? I've barely got off the train and the second hand hits 10h27 and that sucker is moving off. Give me a slow moment of realisation then I have to hol hard to catch the thing. Bleddy confusing for an African but I guess those that stay adapt.

Offline Pumbaa

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2018, 03:27:42 pm »
So today was the 'intocht' of Sinter Klaas in the town where we live.

Can you imagine the uproar this will cause in South Africa!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2018, 07:41:05 pm »
I see you live in the Western Cape. Where is this town, I want to go there. :thumleft:

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2018, 10:40:04 pm »
Extracted from my NZ thread:

Proper WTF this weekend...

I have been ordering some stuff online from Tademe (their local gumtree) for things thats on the cheap that I need.

Got a knock this past late Saturday morning...Morning sir, are you so so and so...Yes?? Ok, here is your post. Didn't want to leave it outside as it looks like its going to rain.  :eek7:

Then Sunday come back home from going to town and there is more post and parcels tucked under the welcome matt... I then realized with a big wtf face, NZ postal services here work 7 days a week.

Offline Pumbaa

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2018, 12:04:40 am »
I see you live in the Western Cape. Where is this town, I want to go there. :thumleft:
I live in the Netherlands. Forgot to change my location on my profile when we move here

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2018, 09:32:58 am »
Am now 15 months here in NZ...still get a WTF now and then.

In my street there is an oldish lady, about 65. She mows her own lawn. The grass lawn. With a petrol mover. I have never seen my mom cut our lawn. Never ever. In fact I have never seen a madam cut a lawn in SA.
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2018, 10:19:34 am »

In my street there is an oldish lady, about 65. She mows her own lawn. The grass lawn. With a petrol mover. I have never seen my mom cut our lawn. Never ever. In fact I have never seen a madam cut a lawn in SA.
Dan moet ek jou n foto van my vrou agter die mower se handles stuur :deal: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2018, 10:36:38 am »

Dan moet ek jou n foto van my vrou agter die mower se handles stuur :deal: :thumleft:

Asb :laughing4:
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Dogmatix

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • None the Wiser
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2018, 05:26:28 am »
There's a company in New Zealand that offers free car and campervan rental. They need to move these vehicles around the islands between centres (mostly airports) so you apply and get to choose a mode of transport from one city to another for free. Includes insurance in most cases but excludes fuel.

Not affiliated but think it's a great idea!

https://www.transfercar.co.nz/
"Don't believe every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2018, 07:17:21 am »

My wife used to mow the lawn in her bikini...!
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 06:55:45 am »

My wife used to mow the lawn in her bikini...!

:useless:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2018, 08:37:51 am »

Total cost, 8 pounds an 80 pence for the chemists professional fee. Everything was pasella.... if I was unemployed or over 60 or or or or it would have cost nothing.

I am humbled to be in an environment that works this bloody well.....

If you do not know this yet and need to get medicine once a month or more get a PPC  :thumleft:

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/save-money-with-a-prescription-prepayment-certificate-ppc/
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2018, 03:42:28 pm »

She can get some sheep to do the job
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 03:58:03 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2018, 01:47:00 am »
Stayed at my in-laws in Texas during a short visit. One night around 23:30 mother-in-law complains about a blocked toilet downstairs. Well, not much we can do that time of night, so use another one and go back to bed. She also called the local council to report the matter around 23:40 that same night. Next morning I get up and go out the front door - see a card hanging around the door's handle. It was a notice card form the council. They arrived about 15-30min after she called them to open the blockage. Left a nice little note to explain they opened the blockage around +/-00:10 as well as where the blockage was and what caused it. WTF.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:49:30 am by Gingerball »
Time for an Adventure

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2018, 07:10:18 pm »
Stayed at my in-laws in Texas during a short visit. One night around 23:30 mother-in-law complains about a blocked toilet downstairs. Well, not much we can do that time of night, so use another one and go back to bed. She also called the local council to report the matter around 23:40 that same night. Next morning I get up and go out the front door - see a card hanging around the door's handle. It was a notice card form the council. They arrived about 15-30min after she called them to open the blockage. Left a nice little note to explain they opened the blockage around +/-00:10 as well as where the blockage was and what caused it. WTF.

Great service but maybe too much detail  :biggrin:

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2018, 08:21:10 pm »
What can I say, they know their s#@t  :ricky:
Time for an Adventure

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

Re: Life in ..... WTF moments
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2018, 02:45:57 pm »
Friend stays in Abu Dhabi and he says he has to pay rent a year in advance and it is expensive.

R500k up front  :o

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2018, 03:11:43 pm »
Friend stays in Abu Dhabi and he says he has to pay rent a year in advance and it is expensive.

I guess they have a lot of tenants who do midnight flits out of the country after a few weeks / months
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2018, 03:58:59 pm »

I was looking at Dubai recently, and yes you are correct, and on top of that , you usually have to pay by cheque. Apparently you cannot survive there without a cheque book.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2018, 10:10:41 pm »

I was looking at Dubai recently, and yes you are correct, and on top of that , you usually have to pay by cheque. Apparently you cannot survive there without a cheque book.

SM to put that R500 rent per year in perspective ask your friend what he earns in ZAR. Also you dont have to pay all up front, depends on your agreement with the landlord, either 1 or 2 or 4 cheques for your yearly rent.

Certain truth in the cheque book thing, still being used a lot, however lots of people that dont have cheque books and survive.
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.