Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MotoGP 2019  (Read 21348 times)

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: MotoGP 2019
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2018, 08:58:46 am »
I don't think you can read anything into the times on these tests.

Ok, I hope you saying Rossi will come teach these youngsters a thing or 2.
No wait, that sounds wrong, just like a Catholic priest teaching youngsters new things...

No I'm not saying that; these teams will all play their cards very close to their chests at this stage; they don't want the other teams to know how good or bad things are going.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2018, 09:41:48 am »
Bus gaan jou opfok as jy lag vir n ryer wat sukkel.......

:bluduh:

Jou leesbril soek, oom Daan?

Ek lag al vir 9 jaar vir 'n ryer wat sukkel.

Vir wat moan jy dan as die VR fans lag vir MM wat in die stof rondkruip?

Groot verskil tussen iemand wat sukkel en iemand wat val/seerkry
Maak soos Dr Phil sê: "Hou op om 'n do0s te wees..."

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2018, 01:09:34 pm »
Bus gaan jou opfok as jy lag vir n ryer wat sukkel.......

:bluduh:

Jou leesbril soek, oom Daan?

Ek lag al vir 9 jaar vir 'n ryer wat sukkel.

Vir wat moan jy dan as die VR fans lag vir MM wat in die stof rondkruip?

Groot verskil tussen iemand wat sukkel en iemand wat val/seerkry

Ja, val is baie snaakser. :ricky:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2018, 11:11:55 am »
Yamaha seems to be exactly where they were at the start of the 2017 season.  MV12 loves the bike and believe he will win the Championship on it.  VR46 feels the bike requires a lot of development and attention.  Lets hope they listen to VR this time round.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Sonny

• Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2018, 09:54:58 am »
KTM wants to buy Ducati.............

Read this article on ASHALT and RUBBER

This should sort out Zarco's problems  O0

The future of Ducati seems to be always up in the air, especially with Volkswagen AG’s constant back-and-forth when it comes to selling the motorcycle brand.

The German’s latest attempt to sell Ducati may have faltered in the boardroom, but there is new reason to believe that acquisition talks could be started for Ducati, as KTM CEO Stefan Pierer has expressed interest in owning the Italian motorcycle company.

Talking to German-language publication Speedweek, Pierer expressed his interest in adding Ducati to his stable of motorcycle marques, and floated some ideas on how Ducati could fit into KTM’s overall two-wheeled strategy.

His thoughts are…interesting, to say the least.

The conversation stems from Pierer’s desire to make KTM into the third-largest motorcycle brand in the world by 2020, behind Honda and Yamaha. Editor’s note: we assume this to mean third-largest in the big displacement categories.

With over 265,000 motorcycles sold each year now, KTM has been one of the few brands to sustain its growth through the recession and onward. In the US market, for instance, KTM is one of only a handful of brands showing sales growth – at our last count, by a margin of 30%.

This growth doesn’t include the success that KTM has seen from the Husqvarna brand, which itself has seen a phoenix’s rising while under the management of Pierer and KTM. What does this all mean for Ducati though?

For sure, KTM would be a home for Ducati that understands the motorcycle business, and having an owner that wasn’t thinking of Ducati as a financial instrument is probably a wise course for a brand that works in the motorcycle industry.

But in his talking to Speedweek, Pierer makes some interesting comments that should give loyal Ducatisti pause.

“I soon realized that the automotive industry often plays a pioneering role for the motorcycle industry,” said Pierer to Speedweek (translation by Google). “When the Volkswagen Group with all its brands developed the platform strategy, I saw this as a role model.”

“Today, engines and chassis are built partly identical for both brands [KTM and Husqvarna], but in the house with us is not working against each other. Now we can offer two brands under one roof, thereby increasing the customer frequency.”

It is hard to argue that the platform strategy is not working out for KTM and Husqvarna (I’ll make a counterpart to this at a later time), but what does it mean if Ducati is added to the mix?

Will desmodromic engines be on KTMs, will v-twin engines be replaced on Ducatis? It is hard to see how KTM , Husqvarna, and Ducati can all share a platform without losing their individual identities.

The overlap between KTM and Ducati might be too large of pill to swallow as well, with both companies focusing on their racing heritage to move motorcycles.

“Ducati is the Ferrari of the motorcycle industry,” continued Pierer with Speedweek. “Of course, having such a brand in our group would be interesting. It is not a question of price, but it is about the topic: When does everyone realize the situation they are in.”

The situation that Pierer is referring to is the changing global climate, and the ever increasing challenges that OEMs face when it comes to emission and noise standards.

Pierer is also referring to the motorcycle industry’s new map, which no longer favors the western markets, and insteads turns towards the rising sales in India, China, and Southeast Asia (to name a few locales).

The question then becomes, how does a brand like Ducati face these new realities, and for Pierer, how does he manage KTM and Husqvarna for this brave new world for motorcycles?

Is the answer large motorcycle manufacturer conglomerates? Only time will tell. Until then, we are sure there are some interesting conversations happening in VW’s boardroom right now.

Source: Speedweek

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2019, 09:48:37 am »
Lots of news, news titbits, rumour, etc. from the MotoGP paddock.  Interesting is that JL99 can't participate in the first testing of 2019 due injury suffered when he crashed a off-road bike during training.  Also MM93 is dubious for first testing as he is still healing from shoulder operation done last year after the season ended.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2019, 01:42:51 pm »
I signed up for the full video pass for 2019, all the races, all the sessions, all the interviews (pre and post)  and loads more interesting videos.

Was just over 2.2k for the year and I've already been getting my monies worth.

So now have fibre and MotoGP , by bye DSTV.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2019, 02:10:24 pm »
I signed up for the full video pass for 2019, all the races, all the sessions, all the interviews (pre and post)  and loads more interesting videos.

Was just over 2.2k for the year and I've already been getting my monies worth.

So now have fibre and MotoGP , by bye DSTV.

Sadly, where I stay there is no fibre.  Only connection is via 4G and that is a tad expensive datawise to stream all the time.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2019, 10:42:38 am »
2019 season well and truly on with first testing in Malaysia the past week.  This was new and interesting development having three days of "shake down" testing.  All manufacturers could participate, but only with test riders.  The teams with concessions could have their normal riders riding though.  While the teams all rocked up with two variants of bikes for testing, KTM brought 7.  Clearly in the mood to do better than a point here, or there.

The past week or so, the teams also launched their 2019 colours.  The two that attracted most attention was the new Yamaha satellite team, Petronas Sepang Racing Team and Yamaha Factory Team, who lost their Movistar sponsorship.  As expected their new sponsor was confirmed as Monster Energy.

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2019, 11:20:51 am »
2019 season well and truly on with first testing in Malaysia the past week.  This was new and interesting development having three days of "shake down" testing.  All manufacturers could participate, but only with test riders.  The teams with concessions could have their normal riders riding though.  While the teams all rocked up with two variants of bikes for testing, KTM brought 7.  Clearly in the mood to do better than a point here, or there.

The past week or so, the teams also launched their 2019 colours.  The two that attracted most attention was the new Yamaha satellite team, Petronas Sepang Racing Team and Yamaha Factory Team, who lost their Movistar sponsorship.  As expected their new sponsor was confirmed as Monster Energy.
I quite like the Monster Yamaha look. They could've given it a tad more blue, there really is a lot of black. And it's a nice blue too, that.

Edit: There's some subtle differences between the satellite team's bike and the factory team, apart from the paint job, of course. Do they ride identical bikes? Or it the satellite team a separate entity altogether (like in F1) that designs their own stuff (but based on the factory bike)?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:23:44 am by OomD »

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2019, 11:38:46 am »

I quite like the Monster Yamaha look. They could've given it a tad more blue, there really is a lot of black. And it's a nice blue too, that.

Edit: There's some subtle differences between the satellite team's bike and the factory team, apart from the paint job, of course. Do they ride identical bikes? Or it the satellite team a separate entity altogether (like in F1) that designs their own stuff (but based on the factory bike)?

I also like Yamaha blue with the Monster black.  I would have made a small change though.  I would have made the Monstor logo yellow on VR's bike and red on MV's bike

The satellite team is a separate entity completely, but they do sign a contract that includes, or excludes certain things.  In this case the satellite team will have one 2018 spec bike and one full on 2019 factory bike.  Yamaha finally woke up to the advantages of having at least one factory bike in the satellite team  as they will then have access to more data and information.  Ducati and Honda has been doing this for years.  So, Morbidelli (a VR46 Academy rider and VR's friend) will ride the full factory bike for the Petronas team. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:39:51 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2019, 12:19:13 pm »

I also like Yamaha blue with the Monster black.  I would have made a small change though.  I would have made the Monstor logo yellow on VR's bike and red on MV's bike
Now that is a good plan! But, people would then not have to look for "The Doctor" on his arse, or the "VR46" helmet to distinguish them, and VR might not be too happy about losing exposure to his own brand.  :lol8:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2019, 12:33:44 pm »

Now that is a good plan! But, people would then not have to look for "The Doctor" on his arse, or the "VR46" helmet to distinguish them, and VR might not be too happy about losing exposure to his own brand.  :lol8:

Hmmmm ..., you may be right, but they already have one leg of their leathers coloured yellow (VR) and red (MV).  Also, one of the VR fan club's war cry's is "POPOLLO GIALLO!" - more yellow!   
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2019, 01:28:05 pm »
What's that picture at the back of the seat? Looks to me like the rider will be showing his arse to someone. Who?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2019, 04:47:14 pm »

Interesting to see they have different forks.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2019, 02:35:52 pm »

Interesting to see they have different forks.

It is highly unlikely that the bikes shown at the different launches are the actual bikes that will race.  Way too many spies around and te launch is really only about the new sponsors and colours.

What's that picture at the back of the seat? Looks to me like the rider will be showing his arse to someone. Who?

:laughing4:

Not sure who is in the piccie there..  VR's bike normally have a piccie of his bulldogs there.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:37:54 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2019, 11:48:51 am »
Official testing at Sepang in Malaysia.  So, who can guess who was fastest yesterday?  I will give you 93 guesses .....

Day 2, fastest is Vinales.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:58:31 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Ben-57

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Kind van die Wind
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2019, 01:51:37 pm »
Can't wait.  Its going to be hectic again...
Kind van die Wind

CURRENT: BMW F800GS & Husaberg FE250

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2019, 02:59:16 pm »

Sepang MotoGP Test
Session 2 as of 07/02/2019
PDF Analysis
PDF Classification
Pos         Rider    Team    Fastest lap    Lead. Gap    Prev. Gap    Laps    Last lap
1       VIÑALES, Maverick    Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP    1:58.897          62 / 63    
2       RINS, Alex    Team SUZUKI ECSTAR    1:59.424    0.527    0.527    58 / 61    
3       MILLER, Jack    Alma Pramac Racing    1:59.517    0.620    0.093    48 / 49    
4       DOVIZIOSO, Andrea    Mission Winnow Ducati    1:59.562    0.665    0.045    19 / 60    
5       CRUTCHLOW, Cal    LCR Honda CASTROL    1:59.566    0.669    0.004    14 / 53    
6       ROSSI, Valentino    Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP    1:59.625    0.728    0.059    8 / 51    
7       RABAT, Tito    Reale Avintia Racing    1:59.664    0.767    0.039    74 / 75    
8       MARQUEZ, Marc    Repsol Honda Team    1:59.790    0.893    0.126    5 / 37    
9       PETRUCCI, Danilo    Mission Winnow Ducati    1:59.845    0.948    0.055    11 / 65    
10       NAKAGAMI, Takaaki    LCR Honda IDEMITSU    1:59.966    1.069    0.121    57 / 60    

Looks like Yamaha is getting things right again
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2019, 09:56:16 am »

Sepang MotoGP Test
Session 2 as of 07/02/2019
PDF Analysis
PDF Classification
Pos         Rider    Team    Fastest lap    Lead. Gap    Prev. Gap    Laps    Last lap
1       VIÑALES, Maverick    Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP    1:58.897          62 / 63    
2       RINS, Alex    Team SUZUKI ECSTAR    1:59.424    0.527    0.527    58 / 61    
3       MILLER, Jack    Alma Pramac Racing    1:59.517    0.620    0.093    48 / 49    
4       DOVIZIOSO, Andrea    Mission Winnow Ducati    1:59.562    0.665    0.045    19 / 60    
5       CRUTCHLOW, Cal    LCR Honda CASTROL    1:59.566    0.669    0.004    14 / 53    
6       ROSSI, Valentino    Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP    1:59.625    0.728    0.059    8 / 51    
7       RABAT, Tito    Reale Avintia Racing    1:59.664    0.767    0.039    74 / 75    
8       MARQUEZ, Marc    Repsol Honda Team    1:59.790    0.893    0.126    5 / 37    
9       PETRUCCI, Danilo    Mission Winnow Ducati    1:59.845    0.948    0.055    11 / 65    
10       NAKAGAMI, Takaaki    LCR Honda IDEMITSU    1:59.966    1.069    0.121    57 / 60    

Looks like Yamaha is getting things right again

That worries me a tad.  It is similar to the previous years.  Vinales fast.  Rossi fastish.  Then they fall apart once racing starts.  The good thing is both MV and VR is positive about the bike and Yamaha made huge changes during the off-season.  Replaced two top guys in the racing division in Japan.  Created a European test team and bike building facility stationed in Italy.  Lets hope they will be in the fray this year.  They even have, over and above the two factory bikes and riders and the two satellite bikes and riders, two test bikes also on track.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:01:52 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!