Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Breedtsnek....we were not thinking straight  (Read 6247 times)

Offline Straatkat

Breedtsnek....we were not thinking straight
« on: November 13, 2018, 12:48:10 pm »
It took months in the planning, we had several meetings to finalize the finer details, TK, GregF, Paddaprins and myself were going to ride this, even if we die trying! The reputation of this pass they call Breedtsnek, probably one of the fiercest passes in the country, speaks for itself through many failed attempts to conquer it. All you need to do is read the many ride reports on this fine forum to strike the fear of God into any rider.
As the time drew closer there was a palpatable tension in the air, bikes were serviced, new tyres fitted, that last session in the gym to tone the muscles just right, we were ready!

GregF and myself were on our KTM 500's and TK rode his trusty Husky 610 as did Paddaprins, he borrowed my 610 as he was fearing his 990 might be irreparably damaged.
Sunday morning arrived, I didn't sleep well and was up early, nerves chewing away at my physche, today was the day! Soon the guys arrived and we were ready to set off when we discovered TK has a flat, so back to the workshop and we quickly fixed the puncture by fitting a new tube. Was this a sign of things to come?
As we sped along the country roads I was grateful for the chance of easing into the difficult stuff. Paddaprins took a tumble when he misread the road and rode into a ditch that was once a Jeep track, next to the railway.
At last we reached the road leading up to the dreaded Breedtsnek , a cold shiver went down my back when we passed a sign of a exclamation mark, a clear warning about the lunacy we were about to engage in.

The next minute we were into the thick of things, the road started winding wildly around the mountain and the surface was rough, very rough. Every few feet there was a puddle of engine oil of another unfortunate traveller that has had his sump holed This is no place for the meek. The marks on the rocks told their own story of another failed attempt. I could not help notice a few vultures circling lazily above, waiting for their next meal. I quietly hoped it was not going to be one of us. We already discussed what was going to happen should one of us fall prey to Breedtsnek, and it was decided one would stay and keep the fallen company (and keep the vultures away) whilst the others will race back to civilization to summons help. All those relenting hours in the gym will certainly pay off here.
Exhausted we reached the top, knowing full well that the worst is still to come, the dreaded northern slope! much has been written about the steps that almost no vehicle can clear without extensive mechanical damage, but we were ready, after a short breather we proceded ahead cautiously.

18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Offline Neo_za

Re: Breedtsnek....we were not thinking straight
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 12:52:53 pm »
 :biggrin: :ricky: :lol8:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 12:55:12 pm »
Ag nee ek glo dit nie van jou wat so 'n verwoede grondpad ryer is nie. 
Ek het Breedsnek met my Super Tenere gedoen met Tom se seun agterop en dit was 'n walk in the park..... moet byse dit was so 'n paar jaar gelede.  Pad het seker maar versleg intussen maar ek was geensins beeindruk met daai ou paadjie nie.

Jy skeer seker die gek met ons.  :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 12:58:32 pm »
Magnificent writing, please send more.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 01:00:55 pm »
OMG Straatkat but you and your crew are brave men

The legend of Breedtsnek has even reached us down here in the Cape

Small children gather around old men relating their failed attempts at this infamous pass and squeal with fear every time somebody goes down

The older I get the faster I was

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 01:08:11 pm »
Best thing about ride reports with no photos... imagination runs wild! Tell us about the ogres?

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 01:11:31 pm »
We were a group of riders 2 weeks back doing Breeds.
2 x NC750 and 1 x 1200Gs and rest all 800gs

It is in a very bad state and there is evidence of metal (broken sump) and oil all over the show.
I did challenge myself not to put my feet down (personal skills/balance test) and succeeded.

We did the extra bit to the very top (veld paadjpaadjie) as well.

Very bad pass now, deep ruts and steps wit loose gravel and stones.
You got to have some skill to ride the pass now.  :3some:

Offline Rooies

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 01:12:38 pm »
Oh, the agony and the ecstasy.  That you are able to relate the adventure, nay, conquest!, appears to be testament of a great group of riders who, against all odds, pulled off the near impossible!
Current:     BMW R1150GS
Previous:   BMW R1200GSA
                  Honda XL700V

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 01:16:53 pm »
I think there was no maintenance done on this pass the last couple of years.
It is definitely not a green route any more.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 01:38:21 pm »
First it was Tony (TK) to lose it spectacularly, He is the most experienced of our group so this really scared the rest of us. If he can't get through what chance have we got!
here we are standing at the top, beaming with confidence. If only we knew how short lived that feeling would be!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:41:44 pm by Straatkat »
18 till I die.

Offline 73 Peanut

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 02:21:19 pm »
That looks like you guy's were cutting your own trail in the one pic or were you guy's on the municipal gravel  .

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 02:42:15 pm »
This pass has claimed many a GS and UNO please show some respect !
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 02:45:32 pm »
In years to come there will be commemorations for our fallen brothers, those that Breedtsnek claimed as its own.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 02:50:05 pm »
Aai Fok - that was funny!

BUTANYWAY - I thought it was flatter a few weeks ago....

:imaposer:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:50:36 pm by ClimbingTurtle »
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 03:09:47 pm »
After TK's mishap we gathered ourselves, and spent some time talking strategy, if we are going to make this it is going to be a close run battle.

And then just as we were brave enough to take on the northern slop for real, the 500 bit me hard. I catapulted through the air, landed on my back and hurriedly waved to the others not to proceed, it is just too dangerous, but TK came anyway and he too met his match. This was turning ugly.....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:36:44 pm by Straatkat »
18 till I die.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 03:20:25 pm »
We were so busy just staying alive....At one point I crashed clean out of my boots.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:22:10 pm by Straatkat »
18 till I die.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 03:23:34 pm »
And then something happened that I did not think possible, and then you need real friends around you.....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:37:14 pm by Straatkat »
18 till I die.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 03:27:27 pm »
Julle moet ophou grappies maak en POSE vir die kamera  :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

The following users thanked this post: subie

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 03:29:06 pm »
I crashed int the bush so hard, just my boots were sticking out! Tony rushed in and bravely started pulling me out by my boots. Real friends are priceless, if he didn't see me going in there I would probably still be missing.
18 till I die.

The following users thanked this post: wilfwalk

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 03:39:44 pm »
When we eventually reached the bottom of the pass we gathered ourselves and glanced back at what was probably the ride of our lives, just so grateful to be alive. We were bruised and somewhat rattled, so we opted to do the 300km tar detour to get home, no way we were going to push our incredible luck any further. One day when we are 60 or so we will sit on the retirement home stoep and reminisce about the wild things we did in our youth. Breedtsnek, I get the cold shivers just saying the name!
18 till I die.