Breedtsnek....we were not thinking straight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straatkat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
It took months in the planning, we had several meetings to finalize the finer details, TK, GregF, Paddaprins and myself were going to ride this, even if we die trying! The reputation of this pass they call Breedtsnek, probably one of the fiercest passes in the country, speaks for itself through many failed attempts to conquer it. All you need to do is read the many ride reports on this fine forum to strike the fear of God into any rider.
As the time drew closer there was a palpatable tension in the air, bikes were serviced, new tyres fitted, that last session in the gym to tone the muscles just right, we were ready!

GregF and myself were on our KTM 500's and TK rode his trusty Husky 610 as did Paddaprins, he borrowed my 610 as he was fearing his 990 might be irreparably damaged.
Sunday morning arrived, I didn't sleep well and was up early, nerves chewing away at my physche, today was the day! Soon the guys arrived and we were ready to set off when we discovered TK has a flat, so back to the workshop and we quickly fixed the puncture by fitting a new tube. Was this a sign of things to come?
As we sped along the country roads I was grateful for the chance of easing into the difficult stuff. Paddaprins took a tumble when he misread the road and rode into a ditch that was once a Jeep track, next to the railway.
At last we reached the road leading up to the dreaded Breedtsnek , a cold shiver went down my back when we passed a sign of a exclamation mark, a clear warning about the lunacy we were about to engage in.

The next minute we were into the thick of things, the road started winding wildly around the mountain and the surface was rough, very rough. Every few feet there was a puddle of engine oil of another unfortunate traveller that has had his sump holed This is no place for the meek. The marks on the rocks told their own story of another failed attempt. I could not help notice a few vultures circling lazily above, waiting for their next meal. I quietly hoped it was not going to be one of us. We already discussed what was going to happen should one of us fall prey to Breedtsnek, and it was decided one would stay and keep the fallen company (and keep the vultures away) whilst the others will race back to civilization to summons help. All those relenting hours in the gym will certainly pay off here.
Exhausted we reached the top, knowing full well that the worst is still to come, the dreaded northern slope! much has been written about the steps that almost no vehicle can clear without extensive mechanical damage, but we were ready, after a short breather we proceded ahead cautiously.