Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DAKAR 2019 !!!  (Read 18407 times)

Online Dux

Re: DAKAR 2019 !!!
« Reply #1460 on: January 18, 2019, 08:02:52 am »
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #1461 on: January 18, 2019, 08:05:49 am »
Next year surely will belong to the land of the rising sun  :peepwall:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #1462 on: January 18, 2019, 08:08:25 am »
Next year surely will belong to the land of the rising sun  :peepwall:

Only if Honda buys KTM  :pot:
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1463 on: January 18, 2019, 08:13:04 am »
When the Honda guys retire or have mechanicals they're spoilt, arrogant, cry babies, riders broke the bikes etc. When the same happens to Yamaha riders it's 100% down to bad luck  :imaposer:

Honda is a full on HRC factory effort with massive budget and other resources thrown in for one goal - to win dakar. Yamaha as far as i know is private initiative of Yamaha France (hence their top riders sre french) with very token (if any) involvement from tge factory itself. That alone makes it David vs Goliath type of situation, and people will always be more lenient to underdog.

On top of it, their top rider for way too many years is not a primadonna who either kills tgeir machine out of sheer recklessnes, or makes elementary rookie tactical mistakes, or just gives up whenever he feels like he cannot make goid position anymore.

And on top if all that, despite being much smaller team tgey do not commit absolutely incredibly stupid and anateurish (almost mr beanish) team management mistakes that completely throws away all that money and effort, such as illegal refuels, ilegal notes, etc.

Would that maybe explain that?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:14:35 am by Xpat »

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #1464 on: January 18, 2019, 08:18:00 am »
When the Honda guys retire or have mechanicals they're spoilt, arrogant, cry babies, riders broke the bikes etc. When the same happens to Yamaha riders it's 100% down to bad luck  :imaposer:

Honda is a full on HRC factory effort with massive budget and other resources thrown in for one goal - to win dakar. Yamaha as far as i know is private initiative of Yamaha France (hence their top riders sre french) with very token (if any) involvement from tge factory itself. That alone makes it David vs Goliath type of situation, and people will always be more lenient to underdog.

On top of it, their top rider for way too many years is not a primadonna who either kills tgeir machine out of sheer recklessnes, or makes elementary rookie tactical mistakes, or just gives up whenever he feels like he cannot make goid position anymore.

And on top if all that, despite being much smaller team tgey do not commit absolutely incredibly stupid and anateurish (almost mr beanish) team management mistakes that completely throws away all that money and effort, such as illegal refuels, ilegal notes, etc.

Would that maybe be expoain that?

Nope. To me the majority of the comments still just come across as internet know it alls who make character judgements on people they don't know who compete in a sport they don't understand.
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1465 on: January 18, 2019, 08:30:40 am »

Would that maybe be expoain that?

Nope. To me the majority of the comments still just come across as internet know it alls who make character judgements on people they don't know who compete in a sport they don't understand.

Well yes that would be all of us here, including you of course. So should only people who participated in dakar snd maybe know participants in person comment here? That would make for very short thread.

And leaving aside subjective opinions on Barreda (would you employ him if you were team manager?), i gave you two other sets of reasons that are objectve and verifiable.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #1466 on: January 18, 2019, 08:35:45 am »
Well yes that would be all of us here, including you of course. So should only people who participated in dakar snd maybe know participants in person comment here? That would make for very short thread.

And leaving aside subjective opinions on Barreda (would you employ him if you were team manager?), i gave you two other sets of reasons that are objectve and verifiable.

Where have I made comments about riders' character? I feel for each and every rider because I can only imagine how hard it it, even for a pro. And from the little bit of racing I have done, I know how it can mess with your mind. So I don't judge or make assumptions. If anything I just support my favourite rider a little bit more than the rest. To me they are all idols.
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline gmac

• Bike: AJS (all models)
DAKAR 2019 !!!
« Reply #1467 on: January 18, 2019, 08:53:36 am »
Agree with xpat 100%

In any case watched the video of Laia and Toby making good on their bets and itís clear - Toby is an alien and an absolute gentleman!

What a legend
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:54:47 am by gmac »

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #1468 on: January 18, 2019, 08:58:07 am »
Agree with xpat 100%

In any case watched the video of Laia and Toby making good on their bets and itís clear - Toby is an alien and an absolute gentleman!

What a legend

Yep, he handled it well  :thumleft:

A good advert for the Aussies, not a Robbie Gordon  8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:59:34 am by Welsh »
Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes.

Online Buff

« Reply #1469 on: January 18, 2019, 08:58:54 am »
Down boys, let's not spoil a good thread by getting all personal  ::)

That was a great 2 weeks of racing. Another week would have been better although I doubt Toby would think that way. The hair cutting and kiss was a bit of an anti-climax. I've never met an Aussie who was a gentleman so I don't know where Toby came from with that idea  ;D

I'm also very glad Ross & Kenny lived up to my expectations... and everyone else's of course. Both those guys were competing for the SA Offroad championship title at the end of last year and history has shown us that our top offroad riders can hang with the best in the business. All they lack is that "navigation at speed" experience but that will come with time. With Ross's experience as a pilot it's was pretty obvious that he would catch onto it quickly and I think we can expect him to be back and aiming for top 5 for sure  :thumleft:

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, much appreciated  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Online Dux

« Reply #1470 on: January 18, 2019, 09:26:04 am »

Would that maybe explain that?

A lot of Yamaha's world championship racing is run by Yamaha France , so far from a private effort , they have full factory support , just run out of France and not Japan . Christian Sarron ex GP World Champion and all round nice guy works for Yamaha France and I had a nice discussion with him on the whole operation a few years ago .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Online Dux

« Reply #1471 on: January 18, 2019, 09:27:00 am »
Nice shot of Ross
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Online Sheepman

« Reply #1472 on: January 18, 2019, 09:32:03 am »
Thanks a lot to all the contributors to this excellent thread - I particularly learnt a lot about navigation applied in the Rally.
Each and every one who finished ( and also who didn't make it to the end ) deserves huge respect.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #1473 on: January 18, 2019, 09:35:40 am »
Cheers  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:39:25 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Leo

« Reply #1474 on: January 18, 2019, 10:00:50 am »
Just saw pq crash today- man it was a big one - the boy was pushing - mad respect he took it to Toby

Link to the clip?
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #1475 on: January 18, 2019, 10:02:18 am »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:03:07 am by Grunder »
Carpe bm

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #1476 on: January 18, 2019, 10:08:50 am »
Thank you boys and girls! It was such fun following the Dakar here - much more informative and entertaining than any of the TV channels!

Congratulations to the Kalahari Ferrari - awesome race! And Kenny! Wow, toughed it out, and just got stronger and stronger as the race went on. So much respect! Sympathy and respect for Stuart - he had the heart and would have made it if his bike was as tough as himself.

And congratulations to the Gazoo team as well! They've stuck it out year after year, even when the Frenchies did their best to screw them. very proud of you guys!

Until next year... when I think PQ will take it...  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:09:50 am by roxenz »

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #1477 on: January 18, 2019, 10:57:15 am »
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline Constantinople

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #1478 on: January 18, 2019, 11:07:34 am »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:10:48 am by Constantinople »

Offline >>ThumpįC

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #1479 on: January 18, 2019, 11:33:25 am »
2 KTM's in the lead again.
 :ricky: :ricky: :lol8:
Boys will be Boys.