Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DAKAR 2019 !!!  (Read 18412 times)

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
Re: DAKAR 2019 !!!
« Reply #1500 on: January 19, 2019, 09:28:33 am »
Rynet romps home to her maiden 2019 Dakar WD Thread victory. Even though I had my mapmen furiously plotting where I could shave off time, she comfortably held me and a late surge by Xpat off.

Her victory was largely due to her complete adulation for tall dark handsome Honda riders and an obsession for rally. Also, a particularly good eye for harvesting great photos from all corners of the web.

As has been pointed out, itís no coincidence that she too rides a KTM, as do the other two on the podium.

Her prize? Fame and adulation from the unwashed WD masses.

Roll on 2020!
Lekker Rynet

Offline RrP

« Reply #1501 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:34 am »
Rynet romps home to her maiden 2019 Dakar WD Thread victory. Even though I had my mapmen furiously plotting where I could shave off time, she comfortably held me and a late surge by Xpat off.

Her victory was largely due to her complete adulation for tall dark handsome Honda riders and an obsession for rally. Also, a particularly good eye for harvesting great photos from all corners of the web.

As has been pointed out, itís no coincidence that she too rides a KTM, as do the other two on the podium.

Her prize? Fame and adulation from the unwashed WD masses.

Roll on 2020!
Well done Rynet. Thank you to all the other "racers" for all your time and great coverage.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline LDV

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure

Offline LDV

« Reply #1503 on: January 19, 2019, 01:33:56 pm »
Van Beverens thermostat was stuck on closed position.

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #1504 on: January 19, 2019, 02:32:28 pm »
Some stunners....

I wonder where that road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. Appologies to Mr Frost

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #1505 on: January 19, 2019, 02:58:22 pm »
Where the hell Is the BMW s? 🤔😂

The truth is that BMW pulled out because the current crop of riders are too tall for their bikes and they did not want to have to build taller bikes.

KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #1506 on: January 19, 2019, 03:08:52 pm »
 :lol8:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline LDV

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1508 on: January 19, 2019, 05:59:36 pm »
Honda will win once they change the shape of year exhuasts!! :deal: :eek7:
Eeeek those things are butt ugly and looks heavy too. :o
Why that weird shape?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #1509 on: January 19, 2019, 07:32:56 pm »
Honda will win once they change the shape of year exhuasts!! :deal: :eek7:
Eeeek those things are butt ugly and looks heavy too. :o
Why that weird shape?

Made by the same company that makes bread bins  :imaposer:  Actually made by famous Italian zorst maker Termignoni  ::)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:40:54 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Online Dux

« Reply #1510 on: January 19, 2019, 08:16:08 pm »
My favourite pics
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1511 on: January 19, 2019, 11:22:44 pm »
Here are some more from a Czech dude going under acronym MCH photo - that fesh fesh is bitch to ride but sure makes for some stunning photos:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1512 on: January 19, 2019, 11:30:50 pm »

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1513 on: January 19, 2019, 11:38:43 pm »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #1514 on: January 20, 2019, 10:00:34 am »
I was almost not involved in the madness this year, just lurking every now and then. It appears that my scepticism about the shorter duration and single country was unfounded, ASO put on a great event.
My highlights (in no particular order)
  • The Kalahari Ferrari showing what we know he can do in sand, and smiling all the time
  • King Kenny
  • Gerry's posts and photos, and behind-the-scenes insights
  • Stuart's vasbyt. That guy seems as tough as nails, I am gutted he didn't make it
  • Anastasiya becoming the first ever Malle Moto Madamme
  • Guillaume Martens (remember him from Amageza?) finishing, on I think his third attempt
  • Gabriela Novotna finishing. I was rooting for her last year, after that incident where her bike was run over but they stopped and helped her (unlike the twot that ran over Joey)
  • ASO clamping down on the map markers

I see they want to cross three countries next year, maybe in Africa.
If ASO would kindly listen up, here are my suggestions:
 - Namibia, Botswana, Angola (sorry South Africa)
 - The whole damn race Malle Moto, no big budget support (yeah, I know it won't happen...)
 - Road books get marked up in a dedicated area, just for competitors, then loaded onto the bike directly. No opportunity for outsiders to see the roadbooks before the stage.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:01:21 am by SteveD »

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline gmac

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #1515 on: January 20, 2019, 10:32:05 am »
I agree with what you say but was thinking the following

Big Budget support - I love it and good for them - I like to see what the big teams can do but would like to see Honda but more so Yamaha take it more seriously - with a bigger  team and better management etc.  I also enjoy the Malle Moto challenge side as a separate issue.

With regards to the three countries I think Botswana Namibia and the west coast of SA would make sense from a safety and logistics point of view.  Where would you get long enough Dune stages?

If that does happen I am hitching a caravan and disappearing for 3 weeks - please let it happen!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1516 on: January 20, 2019, 10:45:36 am »
Sorry, I couldn't disagree more on Botswana, Angola and Namibia suggestion. I have never been to Angola but I have ridden Botswana and Namibia more than most on this forum and the idea of 100 bikes, cars and let alone dump trucks gunning it through Kaokoland/Damaraland is just sickening to me.

Where exactly would you want them to ride? Most of Botswana and Namibia is either private property or conservation area. Most of Botswana is dense bush with highest density of African animals in the world, a lot of it National parks. Most of Namibia is private property and the rest of it that could provide for example dunes is conservation areas with strong emphasis on minimising human impact (correct IMO). For example you are not allowed to ride in Kaokoland/Damaraland willy nilly whereever you want - you are supposed to follow existing tracks, and if transgressing they will impound your vehicle. The whole of Skeleton coast and Namib desert is strictly protected are - and rightly so IMO.

Yes you can plot tracks together probably to make 5000 km race, but it would make for extremely boring race - a WRC basically, as there is absolutely minimal opportunity for off-piste riding, for which open deserts that this region doesn't have in abundance are the best place. And I'm not keen to see elephant get a seizure because of fucking Kamaz takes a shortcut (or even sticks to the road) - believe me there are tens of thousands of those and other animals in the northern half of Botswana everywhere - even next to tar.

Dakar belongs to northern Africa, with its spare populations, no private land and vast open space allowing for almost unlimited off-piste riding, which is what makes Dakar really worth watching as we have seen in the last two editions compared to prior few WRC years.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #1517 on: January 20, 2019, 12:36:09 pm »
Sorry, I couldn't disagree more on Botswana, Angola and Namibia suggestion. I have never been to Angola but I have ridden Botswana and Namibia more than most on this forum and the idea of 100 bikes, cars and let alone dump trucks gunning it through Kaokoland/Damaraland is just sickening to me.

Where exactly would you want them to ride? Most of Botswana and Namibia is either private property or conservation area. Most of Botswana is dense bush with highest density of African animals in the world, a lot of it National parks. Most of Namibia is private property and the rest of it that could provide for example dunes is conservation areas with strong emphasis on minimising human impact (correct IMO). For example you are not allowed to ride in Kaokoland/Damaraland willy nilly whereever you want - you are supposed to follow existing tracks, and if transgressing they will impound your vehicle. The whole of Skeleton coast and Namib desert is strictly protected are - and rightly so IMO.

Yes you can plot tracks together probably to make 5000 km race, but it would make for extremely boring race - a WRC basically, as there is absolutely minimal opportunity for off-piste riding, for which open deserts that this region doesn't have in abundance are the best place. And I'm not keen to see elephant get a seizure because of fucking Kamaz takes a shortcut (or even sticks to the road) - believe me there are tens of thousands of those and other animals in the northern half of Botswana everywhere - even next to tar.

Dakar belongs to northern Africa, with its spare populations, no private land and vast open space allowing for almost unlimited off-piste riding, which is what makes Dakar really worth watching as we have seen in the last two editions compared to prior few WRC years.

Totally agree

The destructive impact that this race will have on the natural environment in these areas will stop it from ever happening in our backyard
The older I get the faster I was

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #1518 on: January 20, 2019, 12:42:55 pm »

Agreed 100%, if only they can sort out the politics in Africa and get the race back where it belongs.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline gmac

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #1519 on: January 20, 2019, 01:07:11 pm »

you are 100%  right - never thought of that.

I think I just selfishly want it close enough to go follow it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk