Standing - the different positions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
For the newbies out there - but I hope the experienced guys will help with wise words.

After some time most riders know when they have to stand - but do you know how to stand?

It was brought home to me this weekend when I adopted the wrong stance during a long stretch of sand - and got so tired I felt like my legs were going to break!

As I see it, there are different ways of standing on a bike, and learning to stand in the correct position for the surface you are on will save you a lot of energy and aggravation. Just standing and locking your knees is not going to help.

Technical terrain
Keep your knees bent and loose, don't use them to clutch the tank. This will help you control the bike and will allow you to stomp on the footpegs to steer the bike.
To practice this, try it out on a hard and even road surface. Having your knees bent and loose will allow you to move your weight to counter what the bike is doing. Remember the bike probably can ride the terrain - you just have to stay on and steer!

Gravel roads
Keep your legs much straighter - it will avoid them becoming tired. However, be prepared for the sandy patches. If you hit a sandy patch you will have to move your weight back by bending your knees more.

Mud
Nope, can't help you there. Personally I sit down and put my feet out and hope for the best!  :p

Thanks to Ryperd, Adventure MX and others for teaching me these things!

And remember fellow newbie riders - when you go practice these things - take a buddy with you in case you get into trouble!

Safe (and comfortable) riding all!