Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW GS helmet deteriorating  (Read 2569 times)

Offline X-Factor#03

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
BMW GS helmet deteriorating
« on: November 26, 2018, 03:55:31 pm »
Good day fellow hogs,

I am currently sitting with a bit of a "war" with BMW with regards to my helmet's "cheek pads" that are deteriorating and I was wondering if anybody else ever encountered this problem.
Details & History:
1. Bought a brand new GS adventure helmet from BMW Clearwater. I am not even gonna go into what I think about the Clearwater branch because their service (or lack thereof) and product has just made my life hell from the get go.
2. After using the helmet for only a couple of months I noticed that the "cheek padding' started to "bubble" or "melt" or whatever you want to call it and I notified BMW Clearwater about it. They suggested that I bring the helmet in for inspection.
3. After inspecting the helmet and corresponding with BMW's warranty manager I was told that "I did something to the helmet because it was subjected to extreme heat".
4. Obviously this infuriated me because I take pride in taking care of my belongings and now I'm being blamed for some "extreme heat" argument that makes no sense to me. The helmet is brand new and in an immaculate condition with the exclusion of the two cheek pads.

As it stands I've hit a dead-end with Clearwater and I've received correspondence from BMW SA's client service that all correct channels were followed and they will not be repairing of replacing the cheek padding.

To me this is a load of BS seeing that the helmet was not subjected to anything besides being on my head while riving. No "extreme heat" was encountered so their feedback really is pathetic.

Attached some pictures from a few months ago, they look way worse currently.

Has anybody encountered a similar event?
Any BMW employees that can shed some light on the subject because as it stands BMW has made an enemy from one of their biggest fans?
Any advise on the matter would be appreciated.

I cannot accept that a R10k brand new helmet can give me so many problems.

Regards

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: BMW GS helmet deteriorating
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 04:01:22 pm »
CPA perhaps, depending on the timing?
Proof of correspondence etc?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline X-Factor#03

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 07:16:56 am »
CPA perhaps, depending on the timing?
Proof of correspondence etc?
Good day,

Thank you for the reply but I'm unsure about what you mean with CPA?
Would you like to see the correspondence with BMW? Do you work for BMW?

Regards

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 07:48:51 am »
Consumer Protection Act - depending on the age of the helmet (since date of purchase) - you have 6 months that they have to repair/replace/refund in terms of the act - iirc, check the Act, its on-line, and see where that takes you...

And sorry, no, I work for Majita Tool Supplies - we sell hand tools - amongst other things!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

The following users thanked this post: X-Factor#03

Offline Brucet

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:21:43 am »
Just checked mine and its perfect after a year.

I agree about Clearwater. I walked in there to buy a new GSA without the need for finance and was treated like i was trespassing. Walked out and purchased the GSA from another dealership. Its a horrible dealership and they will never see a cent from me even if they give free borewors rolls on some Saturdays? Huh! Just thought maybe that was the problem as the salesman looked like he had eaten a few (not that I am any better) and maybe I interrupted his gorging.

I would suggest you go to another dealership and ask for their opinion. I recently purchased some new boots from Centurion. I was not happy with the one boot after a week. Zip just always seemed to get stuck. Even though I had worn them for the week they gladly replaced them without any arguments.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:22:43 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline X-Factor#03

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 08:28:42 am »
Just checked mine and its perfect after a year.

I agree about Clearwater. I walked in there to buy a new GSA without the need for finance and was treated like i was trespassing. Walked out and purchased the GSA from another dealership. Its a horrible dealership and they will never see a cent from me even if they give free borewors rolls on some Saturdays? Huh! Just thought maybe that was the problem as the salesman looked like he had eaten a few (not that I am any better) and maybe I interrupted his gorging.

I would suggest you go to another dealership and ask for their opinion. I recently purchased some new boots from Centurion. I was not happy with the one boot after a week. Zip just always seemed to get stuck. Even though I had worn them for the week they gladly replaced them without any arguments.
I fully agree that Clearwater is terrible. My journey started with lies about the history of the bike I was buying and then the helmet they sold me had the cheek padding issues as well as a faulty anti-fog visor. The panniers I also bought is not waterproof and every single time I get a little rain I'm sitting with wet contents. That place will never see me again and I will never have anything good to say about them because they are not worthy.
I do however get stunning service from Boksburg's Auto Alpina and they are going to try and take my issue further.

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Local Mods
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 08:33:54 am »
I would also be very angry if my helmet looked like that! Would it really hurt BMW SA to replace the helmet under warranty?  :dousing:

Offline X-Factor#03

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 08:41:34 am »
I would also be very angry if my helmet looked like that! Would it really hurt BMW SA to replace the helmet under warranty?  :dousing:
That is also my argument. in the last 18 months I've spent about R450 000 at BMW on two bikes and kit, and then this is the way I'm treated when there is a issue. They have managed to take a very big BMW fan and turn him into an enemy.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 08:46:30 am »
I do however get stunning service from Boksburg's Auto Alpina and they are going to try and take my issue further.

I am a bit stunned about the service you are getting after the money you spent with them, i must admit!
Auto Alpina is my closest dealership and I spend a fair bit their, I recently bought a load of spares for a Gx i am fixing and the service has been brilliant!
Please keep us up to date on the results, I really hope they come to the party.....
Steve

Offline X-Factor#03

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 09:00:49 am »

I am a bit stunned about the service you are getting after the money you spent with them, i must admit!
Auto Alpina is my closest dealership and I spend a fair bit their, I recently bought a load of spares for a Gx i am fixing and the service has been brilliant!
Please keep us up to date on the results, I really hope they come to the party.....
Steve
I am a huge Auto Alpina fan and I bought my new bike there as well . The issue is because I financed my helmet and gear with my previous bike I was informed that Clearwater needs to resolve it. I have in the meantime been in contact with Auto Alpina and they asked me to bring the helmet in so that they can try and assist me.
I'll keep you posted on progress made.

Offline Brucet

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 12:58:38 pm »
I am a bit stunned about the service you are getting after the money you spent with them,

Dont be. That dealership is rotten.

BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 01:38:18 pm »
Is that lining not replaceable?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Enzo

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Morning lab rats
    • You Said It, Tech startup Incubator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 02:16:27 pm »
BMW should replace under warranty - go to another dealership

Mine also did that - my neck brace was causing the issue

Unfortunately for me out of warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trevo

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 02:21:10 pm »
Where you using a neck brace?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:25:09 pm by trevo »
Do I Look Like I Give A F*ck

Offline X-Factor#03

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 02:47:55 pm »
It is replaceable but whey should I replace something that is still under warranty, and that is my issue currently.

Offline X-Factor#03

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 02:54:24 pm »
BMW should replace under warranty - go to another dealership

Mine also did that - my neck brace was causing the issue

Unfortunately for me out of warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dropped off my helmet at Auto Alpina which is my local BMW dealer. They will look into the matter. According to their spares department it is quite common for either a neck brace or the jacket to cause this damage. Which is not an excuse if you ask me. They need to step up their quality or design because how can they sit with a "common problem"...?

Offline X-Factor#03

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 02:55:37 pm »
Where you using a neck brace?
No I do not use a neck brace but according to the spares lady at Auto Alpina it is quite common for the jacket to also cause this type of wear & tear. Bad design if you ask me.

Online TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 05:54:49 am »
It is replaceable but whey should I replace something that is still under warranty, and that is my issue currently.

Not you.  BMW could, i.e. at a fraction of the cost of a helmet, they could have had a happy customer.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Brucet

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 08:06:29 am »
I do notice with mine, when wearing my Rallye jacket that the helmet does rub and squeak on the collar sometimes.

I agree for the price we pay for BMW kit it should not do this sort of thing and should be better designed.

BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline X-Factor#03

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 09:04:46 am »

Not you.  BMW could, i.e. at a fraction of the cost of a helmet, they could have had a happy customer.
That is my exact argument as well.