Brilliant service from Lyndhurst Motorrad! Thanks Guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquatic

Race Dog
Reaction score
Buderim, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
For those who don't know, I managed to buy a sizable piece of dry riverbed on the last day's red route at the GSC.

I was cruising down the river at ±60kph when steam or smoke came up between the bars from the engine. The gearbox jumped into neutral, my weight moved onto the front wheel, left, right, left, right, flight!
A high side of note. I took the right mirror off with top of my hand and if it wasn't for my DMD ballistic vest, I'm sure I would now have a broken rib or 2.
In the 1st pic you can see the last right curve before the front wheel dug in.
In the 2nd you can see the damage to the screen.

To cut along story short (Full details in my up coming RR) the bike was unrideable because of bent handle bars, bent fairing and cluster frame and what seemed to be a broken radiator.

I needed to get to Colyn Gallop's(Ex Motorrad Rentals owner) house just outside Palaborwa where Colyn, Sillystunt and I had trailered our bikes to. I almost had to ride 65kms on the back of Silly's x-challenge with no pillion pegs. hell no!

After a bit of discussion on Saturday night the very kind gentlemen present from Lyndhurst Motorrad, Mike "Every Village Has One" Poole and Craig "Big Air" Jones, offered the use of a demo X-challenge that Mike had ridden on the Challenge. They also offered the now vacant space on their trailer for my Dakar.
The nick names is a story all on its own! Sorry but you had to be there to understand.

On Sunday Colyn, Steve and I made our way back to our cars and then onto home and my bike made it's way to Lyndhurst, where on Monday it was assesed and a quotation made out for the repairs. Not cheap, but I guess that is the nature of the game and the brand.

I would really like to thank you guys, Mike and Craig, for what was for me a totally unexpected solution to the predicament I was in. If it wasn't for you, I would still be sitting on the stoep of the Leydsdorp pub with Piet and Pietertjie. As 'GSer' said, I guess I got to experience the true spirit of what is "The GS Challenge"

3 cheers!!!

Attachments

• DOWN THE RIVER rs.JPG
    DOWN THE RIVER rs.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 76
  • P1030454 rs.JPG
    P1030454 rs.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 75