Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I give up!!! - Suzuki DRZ250 - Updated  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
I give up!!! - Suzuki DRZ250 - Updated
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:27:09 am »
Below is the whole saga of my little problem. I give up. Nothing gives me a difinitive answer which gets me on my feet and ordering the part I need, whichever part that is. SO! Who has a ton of experience or knows of someone with a ton of experience that can have a look at my horse here in the Friendly City, Port Elizabeth, or Uitenhage for that matter?

The bike does the following: It starts fine, it idles fine, it runs fine...for about 10 minutes then the engine starts sputtering. I struggles to go uphill (not up embankments, haven't tried). The RPM counter shows that the rpm's drop about roughly 1000 to 2000 rpms depending on the count for a fraction of a second. It also runs fine up and down the rpms when in neutral. It would be best to ride the bike yourself to know what it does. ACE tested the spark coil and rectifier and they are fine. I think it might be the pick up pulse coil, but what do I know, honestly? Any suggestions. I don't mind buying the part, but don't want to buy a part only for the problem to remain.

How are all the Dawgz doing? Crabs, we met, but you thought you where talking to Herms, for that I appologise, I should've at least asked if we have met before.

For all of you who own a DR or DRZ up from 2000, I have a problem with my side stand switch. There is two electronic bits that is part of this side stand kill switch system. The Relay assembly (R210) and what I can only deduct is a AND valve (its a diode that needs an electrical current from two sources before it opens), which funny enough costs R2100. The thing is about as big as a 5c. Anyway, the relay assembly is making a buzzing noise, which is assumed to be indicating that its soul will be leaving the comforts of the motorcycle in the very near future.

SO!? Has anyone of you in die DR clan, removed the entire sidestand system and how have you done it? I know many just remove the switch at the side stand, but for me it does not seem to be that simple. IF I'm gonna pay R210 for a relay and it turns out the diode is shot, then I want the whole safety system removed. I haven't checked the wiring origins and destinations yet, but my hope it that some one else has removed this American safety system.

Other than that, my jerky ride of recent has caused me to remove my carb and give it a thorough clean, and replacing the fuel. It did seem to solve the problem of a jerky ride last night, but it started up again this morning after about 20kms of travel. And since we (Herms and me) noticed this buzzing sound, we have a pretty good idea that it is the cause of the whows. Any help?

I only heard the dawgz name is Mike, the one that rides it like its stolen DRZ400. What is the repair cost buying you, the R12,000? What happend to the beast?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 10:59:29 am by Inprogress »
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Re: Suzuki DR & DRZ's sidestand switch
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »
Either zip tie the switch closed. or splice the 2 wires together running to the kick stand. Most guys trace back the wires and cut it under the seat and solder the wires together, sealing with shrink tubing is recommended.

If you want more info about DRZ's go here http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25
and search.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 04:58:29 pm »
Get rid of the sidestand, clutch switch and smog bolt on bits. You don't need any of it, just more things that can give trouble.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:57:00 am »
So, here is an intersting situation that I have tracked. After some serious fault finding it seems my Rectifier is dying. Have read up a bit on rectifiers and some of the symptoms mentioned seem to correlate. Also, I took a ride on the bike to make sure the problem is still there with everything connected (by the way I did remove my side stand switch). I checked the rpm counter as well when rinding. The rpm's drop every now and then, at around pullaway and 4000 to 5000 rpms. Unplugged a relay which is in some engineering genius connected to the rectifier, but problem still there. Plugged eveything back in, but unplugged only the rectifier, problem gone. Smooth sailing.

Now, before I fork out R1920 for a new rectifier, I want to know, do any of you Dawgz have a spare rectifier lying around for a 250? Or, do any of you have a DRZ250 of which I can borrow the rectifier from and fit it to my bike to see if a new rectifier will actually solve my problem? As far as I understand, the 400 and 250 share the same rectifier, but I think I will try and confirm that first.

Was thinking about the side stand kill switch. It is a solution to a problem that only happens once to every biker. Why engineer about 100m of wiring and 10 chips and bits just for that? But it is gone now. For now I shall keep the clutch kill switch, for no other reason that I am lazy to remove it.

Thanks Dawgz.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: UPDATE - Suzuki DR & DRZ's sidestand switch (Rectifier)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 05:20:58 pm »
When you say unplugged the rectifier are you referring to the plug from the stator with three yellow wires or the one charging your battery ? If its the stator plug you have burned coils, otherwise just check the rectifier by using a multimeter and see if you get a costant 13 V plus when revving the bike. Also check the plug connections. Mine were bad and caused the battery to not charge properly.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 05:51:48 pm »
From the plug that I unplugged, I assumed it was the rectifier that has the heatsink, but yes, the plug has three yellow wires, quite thick one's (compared to the other black with red stripe wire also in the plug, which is also in the heatsink rectifier). So, which one would you say is stuffed? Just measured it, and I get 14 plus volts even at 5000rpm's which then tells me the voltage rectifier (one with heatsink) should be fine, right?

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 06:55:45 pm »
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so let me paint one....two for that matter. The rectifier, or rather Voltage Rectifier (VR) I am referring to that I unplug is the VR sitting on the frame on the left hand front side. It has three yellow wires at the plug (underneath the tank) including a black/Red one, and a Black/White one. The VR also has heat sink fins.

The other rectifier, or rather Stator with the plug that has only three yellow wires (underneath the seat), I did not touch. Me and Herms have now cleaned the major plugs and cut a short piece of the spark plug lead to make sure there isn't a bad connection. So here are the pictures. I think it is the VR, which is gonna set me back R1920. I do wish I am wrong and that it is a cheaper fault. What do you think.

I can't get the two pictures posted. I will try and post them in new replies, but they paint the picture perfectly. I get an error that stating the attachments are to big or the server does not allow me.

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 06:57:53 pm »
Nope, no luck, even at 100kB for both pictures.

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 07:50:35 pm »
Ok, how do you measure the stator? I see that by disconnecting the VR, the Stator is also disconnected. But I can't seem to measure the stator. How do you know if the stator is working without it running past the VR? Also, does the stator (magneto) actually run in oil, because it is a first for me. Busy removing the magneto. Should I stop...now? 

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 07:53:51 pm »
On most Suzuki's the three yellow wires comes from the stator normally from the left side of the motor. You should find around 70 V AC, from here it goes into the regulator / rectifier whatever and is converted into 12 V DC. If the regulator is stuffed your battery will drain quickly or your ass will be set on fire (Honda 400's  :o), do you battle to start it ? If the stator has burnt coils you will also have charging problems and as I experienced the bike will lose spark and surge at certain revs as it also drains the battery. Bad coils can still charge your battery and provide power to ride but it's a jerky and messy business  >:( But if you have a good 14 V charge while the motor is running I suspect just a bad connection somewhere, tried another spark plug yet ? All the earths good ? You mentioned a rev counter, what DR do you have ? Herms's Djebel ?
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 08:01:25 pm »
Yes the magneto is in oil, I don't trust measuring parts on the bike it's not 100 % correct. It should sit in the engine cover when you remove it. May have to take the starter gear of first. You will spot a burned coil easily. I'll get a link of my strip down.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 08:17:54 pm »
So, I quickly checked the voltage (in AC, Duh Inprogress) and on two of the wires (the three yellow one's coming from the left) I get about 20VAC and on one of them max 2VAC. This is at idling. Yes I did replace the spark plug. I don't struggle to get it started at all. What you mentioned about the ride being messy at certain revs sound just about what I experience. Will have to check the earths. Yip, I have Herms's DR, it has a GPT rpm counter (aftermarket).

So, I think the magneto, but should I check other things?

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 08:24:47 pm »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Herms

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Gordon Shumway Karoo Boytjie
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 11:16:27 pm »
Yip it was my bike, Inprogress took it over from me when I bought the R80G/S.
It never gave me a any problems.....ever. I definitely would not have sold it if I knew
something was wrong with it, especially to my housemate.

Anyway........ I will asset as much possible with the repairs :'(
When you pay R6k for riding pants......you are missing the point

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 07:43:47 am »
Shame, the poor Dawg is distraught. However he is much possible asset me :thumleft:. Thanks for all the info sidetrack. I almost got to the magneto but I do not have an 8mm socket, but that will be rectified today. Thanks for that threat at Thumpertalk, I've been posting there too but did not get the advice you offered, must be my lack of proper explaination skills. Will update what happened further.

Offline Herms

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Gordon Shumway Karoo Boytjie
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 07:57:13 am »
So...... wat maak ons vanaand...... strip ons die stator uit..... skat ek?
 :bueller: :-\
When you pay R6k for riding pants......you are missing the point

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 06:42:03 pm »
Here is the pictures of the process. I say process because I include the pictures explaining the VR. So, what do you think from the picture of the magneto coils....damaged or do I have them checked...or can I check them myself?

Bugger Sidetrack, congrats on the Thumper award for Baddest DRZ400. Real nice.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 09:55:45 pm »
Hmm difficult to say from here. Some of them look a bit dark in colour, I would have them checked out. Don't know who rewinds coils in PE, up here I used AMT. Very good workmanship, they charged me R350. Also let them check the pickup coil (one that sends the signal for the CDI to fire).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 10:01:02 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 08:06:10 am »
That is what I noticed as well. Not one of them look out of place, but all of them look a bit dark, not what I would expect from these coils (thinking about what they do when saying that). I will try and find a place that is worthwhile. Just to clarify, the pickup coils, is that the bit that sits inside the housing, you can coincedentily just see it on the left bottom, right accross the screw? Or does the pickup coil sit somewhere else?

Hey thanks for all the help Sidetrack, I really appreciate this.

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 09:20:38 am »
InProgess and Herms....

I've got nothing to add, but seeing that I own the same bike, I'm following this thread with a special focus.
Thanks for all your special effort in communicating this whole saga with us.  :thumleft: