Biker down at Klapmuts. And some advice to new riders.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboef

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
This morning I passed the scene of a very bad bike vs bakkie collision near Klapmuts on the R44 at a junction.
The biker was motionless, and being comforted by a passer-by. The bike hit the bakkie head-on, so I assume the bike was going straight and the bakkie turned across the bike's lane.  I hope the biker survived. Could not see if he was breathing.

Now, I would like to share some advice if there are any new riders reading this thread.

Your chances of being hit by a car on a road without any junctions/side roads is near to zero. Because both lanes of traffic are going straight. They are not turning.

BUT: When there is a side road joining the main road, this is where you are guaranteed to have an accident, as cars will be turning across your lane and they wont see you. Let me say this again. They wont see you.

Always ride like you are invisible. Always assume every car is out to get you. And at junctions and intersections, slow the fuck down, sit up, and be vigilant. As a biker, this is where you will be killed.

Use cars as shields at intersections. In other words, try to stick close to a car when crossing an intersection, as cars see other cars. They dont see bikes.

Ride safe. May none of you ever find yourself lying on your back with a stranger kneeling next to you.