ATGATT Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Perhaps the more experienced riders out there can offer some advise with regards to ATGATT......

We all (at least for the most part) strongly recommend the basics as follows:

- Helmet
- Riding Jacket
- Gloves
- Riding Pants
- Boots

There are other bits as well, such as neck brace, knee braces etc.

on the  adventure bike scene,we aim for long trips that include tar road, dirt roads, sometimes a river bed of two and mountain pass and some rocks, but generally speaking a good day out on the saddle is a good day.

My question is as follows:

On the tar sections, I want a good jacket, generally a heavier material, breathable, will keep my skin on my body if things go pear shaped and I end sliding with the shiny side down.

On the dirt sections, often at slower pace, now standing, moving a lot and generating a good sweat. The heavy jacket mentioned above gets proper heavy, especially when riding in the heat of the day.

So what do you guys do? .......do you carry a "enduro" style riding jersey and a bit of body armor for the dirt sections, or just deal with the heat in the jacket.
Or do you take your jacket off and put it in your panniers and ride on the dirt sections in whatever is under your jacket?

Looking for some ideas and advise here please

TIA