Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: It seems that a neck brace does save necks.  (Read 3704 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: It seems that a neck brace does save necks.
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2018, 05:42:32 am »
The real question is why would the EMS write a report like this? I don't believe they're infallible but it would seem to me they are independent. This is not a Leatt advert. This is some EMS guy who put this info together.

Im the first to say there are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics. However this report suggests to me that simply in general, there are less serious neck injuries that happen to people wearing a neck brace.

It means that anyone can still have one, but the likelihood is lower if you wear a neck brace of some sort. That is all really.

The engineer in me says that out of a population of nine thousand and something I am more comfortable that this is a more representative sample of accidents than I have seen anywhere before. Seems to be it was north American, probably most of them being on tar, probably more of them on big bikes which I suppose are also factors to be considered.

In the end, we are all big boys and can decide for ourselves. :deal:

I don't like them much personally but I wear them when I am racing or doing a higher speed out ride. Pretty sure I would have hurt myself more not wearing one, but time blurs some of the more serious offs I have had on my head ;D  I don't wear them riding slower through maybe I should re-think it ::)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:43:37 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2018, 07:48:32 am »
I bought one AFTER having a crash that led to a neck injury. A bit late but so be it ............

Then I had another crash, a pile-driver ................ I felt and heard my helmet crunch into that brace. I am convinced, had I not been wearing it, I would have damaged my neck badly.

So, yep, I believe they work. However, like BB, I only wear it when I race, when I don't need to swivel my head to look behind. Any other riding, I don't wear it ......... it doesn't fit lekker with a jacket or adventure helmet, etc.

And, depending on the situation, I might not wear boots, or knee braces, or gloves, or armour, or a helmet ............ and sometimes I even drive a car.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Metaljockey

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 09:15:23 am »
I bought one AFTER having a crash that led to a neck injury. A bit late but so be it ............

Then I had another crash, a pile-driver ................ I felt and heard my helmet crunch into that brace. I am convinced, had I not been wearing it, I would have damaged my neck badly.

So, yep, I believe they work. However, like BB, I only wear it when I race, when I don't need to swivel my head to look behind. Any other riding, I don't wear it ......... it doesn't fit lekker with a jacket or adventure helmet, etc.

And, depending on the situation, I might not wear boots, or knee braces, or gloves, or armour, or a helmet ............ and sometimes I even drive a car.

Now, that there is what I call a balanced view.  :salut:

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2019, 10:19:49 am »
I ended up doing an endo at 60km/h I hit shoulder and head against a mound of sirt when I eventiually contacted the earth. My body armor saved me from more serious injuries, my helmet was farked, but the first thing I remembered when I woke up was how sore and stiff my neck was.

I didn't have a brace on that day.
I was shopping for one when my arm was still in a brace.

They can be shelp sometimes but only when you taking them off. While wearing them you should hardly notice it being there. I wear mine most times. I do sometimes go without it.

But yeah to each their own. Decide on your own neck. Not someone elses.

Just F.Y.I If you can't move your head and look to the side etc you are not wearing your brace correctly.
It needs to drop loosly onto your shoulders...if you raise your sholders up and drop them back down the brace should move with it and drop back down. Unless you have it in body armor.

As you can see - not nearly in the way.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:37:49 am by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Plaasseun

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2019, 03:28:43 pm »
Omninorm jou neck brace sit gemaklik ook omdat jy 'n lang nek het. Die gemaklikheid van 'n nek brace het baie te doen met die lengte van 'n man se nek. Vriend van my het 'n kop borstuk soos 'n springkaan sonder enige nek, sy nek brace pla hom baie, hoe korter jou nek hoe minder nek is daar seker ook om seer te kry tydens 'n val  :pot:
LeŽ vaatjie hou toe jou kraan en ek sien jou dalk vir 'n volle aan.

The following users thanked this post: Omninorm

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2019, 03:35:20 pm »
Omninorm jou neck brace sit gemaklik ook omdat jy 'n lang nek het. Die gemaklikheid van 'n nek brace het baie te doen met die lengte van 'n man se nek. Vriend van my het 'n kop borstuk soos 'n springkaan sonder enige nek, sy nek brace pla hom baie, hoe korter jou nek hoe minder nek is daar seker ook om seer te kry tydens 'n val  :pot:

Het mens 'n neck-brace nodig as jy nie 'n nek het nie?  :peepwall:
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

The following users thanked this post: Omninorm

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2019, 03:41:41 pm »
 :imaposer:

Daai was nou 2 funny posts.  :laughing4:

Ja my een pel het ook so nek. Lyk soos n Staffie - groot kop geen nek, groot bors pens afere wat aangaan en klein kort bene. So ek hoor julle - hy dra maar syne maar hy beweeg nie regtig sy nek op die fiets anyway nie.  :lol8:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:44:27 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2019, 04:08:13 pm »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Online Kortbroek

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2019, 04:38:21 pm »
@edgy let's not hijack that other thread.

Just a point I keep noticing is that clearly the pro hardcore riders don't bother wearing neck braces and as I commented in another thread this was very noticeable whilst spectating at the Roof

So are you saying you disagree with the report in post #1 on this thread? Just because they're not wearing it doesn't mean it doesn't work. Pro racers/enduro racers are great riders but they're not necessarily gear experts or medical experts. Maybe they don't use it because they find it cumbersome or restrictive and they're willing to deal with the risk? What I'm saying is that there does actually seem to be evidence that neck braces do work. That doesn't mean all the pro racers will use them. In fact being a shitty rider like I am I suspect I wear way more body armour etc than the pro riders wear because I tend to crash now and then. Should I stop doing that because they don't? How often do you see the pro's wearing elbow protection?

In fact you're average rider probable crashes way more than a pro racer does so In my opinion us average okes need to kit up accordingly, if we want to.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Online Kortbroek

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2019, 08:31:57 am »
Just saw this posted on facebook, the man himself giving some insight.

- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Online ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2019, 09:51:54 am »
When i hit a kudu i fell and broke my leg- was not wearing a brace. Wonder if it would have helped.... :patch: :peepwall: :pot: :ricky:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Sandban(g)k

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bultfontein
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2019, 10:07:57 am »
When i hit a kudu i fell and broke my leg- was not wearing a brace. Wonder if it would have helped.... :patch: :peepwall: :pot: :ricky:

As ek reg onthou is die koedoe dood, en hy het volgens ooggetuies ook nie n brace aangehad nie. So dit werk.

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Online ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2019, 10:42:24 am »

As ek reg onthou is die koedoe dood, en hy het volgens ooggetuies ook nie n brace aangehad nie. So dit werk.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2019, 10:57:10 am »
Guys, gullibility reigns supreme here in this thread.

Go look at the research results.....1. Not wearing neckbrace leads to 69% of death.
                                                       2. "          "              "             "      "  45% of collarbone injury.
                                                       3.  "         "              "              "     "  75% . of non-critical cervical spine injury.
                                                       4.  "         "              "             "      "   89% . of critical cervical spine injury.

:eek7: :eek7:

Now tell me why this is worn by so few motorcycle racers in all disciplines?

My own experience is actually very different from this "research", over many years and many crashes.

Those posting cynical post abou boots, note that ALL motorcycle racers in ALL disciplines wear them, as with helmets.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2019, 11:02:11 am »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 05:19:03 pm by SlŠinte Mhaith »

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2019, 11:03:42 am »
This is been interesting. I have never used a neck brace while riding but use a Hans device when racing cars. I have been toying with getting a neck brace for a while now but must be honest was worried about not having free movement or having restrictive movement, while commuting especially.
I think I am about to pull the trigger and get one.

Which would you suggest and where is the best place to purchase one?

BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2019, 11:11:21 am »
Just saw this posted on facebook, the man himself giving some insight.

Long video, just looked at bits of it, interesting information in there.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2019, 11:13:52 am »
I believe it to be generally accepted that a neckbrace, as an acceptable sacrifice, may break collarbones. This is widely seen and reported, with pro-neckbrace

people saying, quite correctly, that they'll rather take a broken collarbone than neck.

Now, this "research" claims the opposite, that in fact neckbraces prevent around half of collarbone injuries.

Give this "researcher" another 3 years, and he/they will find the neckbrace to actually limit hand and leg injuries too. :deal:

I can logically give this research zero credit.

Offline Daffyd

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2019, 11:16:57 am »
To me they seem valid normal neck range of motion is 45deg forward, 55deg back and 40deg side to side, forced movement beyond this can cause injury. With my neck brace on these limits are restricted. head rests in cars where introduced to stop whiplash so why not take precaution, my neck brace give little normal restriction and is not even noticeable over my adv jacket . Looking at even the smallest data and just flat out claiming it is advertising or false is the same as a flat earther claiming that all NASA pics are fake. But hey you do you, I'm no professional so I feel like I need to bubble wrap myself to prep for the worst

Online caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Canvas & Aluminium Concepts
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2019, 11:24:51 am »
This guy is not wearing a neck brace...
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge