Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: It seems that a neck brace does save necks.  (Read 3417 times)

Online Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: It seems that a neck brace does save necks.
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2019, 11:26:39 am »
This guy is not wearing a neck brace...

Does he ride fast enough to warrant one?  :pot:
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2019, 11:42:55 am »
This guy is not wearing a neck brace...

Does he ride fast enough to warrant one?  :pot:

Good point, this fella is pretty speedy.....
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2019, 11:50:01 am »
Nor this guy  :biggrin:

How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?

Offline caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2019, 11:56:00 am »
I see a pattern....
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge

Offline BuRP

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2019, 12:39:11 pm »
The subject line says "It seems that a neck brace does save necks".

In all likelihood it does, so: use it or don't  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2019, 01:39:36 pm »
10 years from now you will hardly see a neck brace
Dr Chris Leatt is a known scamster and was already found to be guilty of fraud
Use it dont use it....

I put a kudu whistle on my bakkie bullbar and have never hit a kudu
 :imaposer:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Bommelina

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2019, 03:46:04 pm »
Neck Braces is like Air Bags

https://www.popularmechanics.co.za/wheels/the-hidden-dangers-of-airbags/

"Airbags are standard equipment in over 100 million cars around the world, and responsible for saving hundreds of thousands of lives. Donít let these statistics fool you though, airbags can be quite dangerous in certain situations."

hh

Online Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2019, 03:53:08 pm »

I don't see what that has to do with this; the only fraud committed related to neck braces was against Leatt, in copy right infringements.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 03:54:51 pm by Rough Rider »

Offline JC

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2019, 06:54:40 pm »

I don't see what that has to do with this; the only fraud committed related to neck braces was against Leatt, in copy right infringements.

except that time he defrauded the medical aid schemes, got caught and found guilty. Might influence why he went from practicing GP to billionaire bike accessory guy. Speaks about the character of the person, he was willing to put profit above honesty.

edit: link for lazy https://www.insurance-times.net/article/fraud-doctors-being-tackled
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:56:39 pm by JC »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2019, 07:26:34 pm »
Absolutely do what you feel comfy with, but just do be careful not to be a unbeknown victim to a false claim to motorcycle safety.

I will never wear that piece of shit Porta=Potti thing.

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2019, 07:28:49 pm »
Absolutely do what you feel comfy with, but just do be careful not to be a unbeknown victim to a false claim to motorcycle safety.

Leatt or in general?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2019, 08:35:06 pm »

Leatt or in general?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

In general. The first time I saw a neckbrace, I examined it carefully, and deducted that this piece of equipment may well cause more harm than good.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2019, 08:49:46 pm »
This is been interesting. I have never used a neck brace while riding but use a Hans device when racing cars. I have been toying with getting a neck brace for a while now but must be honest was worried about not having free movement or having restrictive movement, while commuting especially.
I think I am about to pull the trigger and get one.

Which would you suggest and where is the best place to purchase one?
Bruce, many years ago, at a show, Leatt braces were going for a good price, and I bought one. I started wearing it religiously, but it definitely restricted my neck movement, and I could not look sideways as far as I used too.

After talking to a few people I came to the conclusion that mine was not adjusted correctly. But no amount of adjustment could get it right, and I binned the brace

Whilst walking through a bike shop one day, a sales person asked me if I had a neck brace. I shared my story with him. He then asked me to describe my brace. Turned out mine was not suited to adventure riding helmets, but was actually designed to work on racing type helmets

So, long story short, if you want to buy one, take your helmet with, and ask the sales person to adjust and fit the brace for you
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

The following users thanked this post: Brucet

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2019, 09:46:07 pm »
I fell and damaged my neck some years back.
I immediately went out and bought a brace to prevent further trauma ....................... and i've never had an injury since.
Therefore the brace definitely works.

hmmmmmm .............  ::)
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2019, 05:50:29 am »
i too have put a lot of thought into the neck brace,  and i think it works.
in my recent accident i broke my leg,  hundreds of ribs,  my collar bone and gave myself a concussion.
i actively decided against the neck brace and my neck was uninjured.
everything was fucked up except the neck.
fluke?
i think not.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2019, 07:08:19 am »
i too have put a lot of thought into the neck brace,  and i think it works.
in my recent accident i broke my leg,  hundreds of ribs,  my collar bone and gave myself a concussion.
i actively decided against the neck brace and my neck was uninjured.
everything was fucked up except the neck.
fluke?
i think not.

Two years ago I broke both femurs, badly hurt my pelvis area, had concussion for 4 days.

Was not wearing a neckbrace, and my neck is 110%.

I do believe that should I have been wearing a neckbrace, I may well have had spinal injuries, perhaps even be dead, just as a doornail.

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2019, 08:07:27 am »
Bruce, many years ago, at a show, Leatt braces were going for a good price, and I bought one. I started wearing it religiously, but it definitely restricted my neck movement, and I could not look sideways as far as I used too.

After talking to a few people I came to the conclusion that mine was not adjusted correctly. But no amount of adjustment could get it right, and I binned the brace

Whilst walking through a bike shop one day, a sales person asked me if I had a neck brace. I shared my story with him. He then asked me to describe my brace. Turned out mine was not suited to adventure riding helmets, but was actually designed to work on racing type helmets

So, long story short, if you want to buy one, take your helmet with, and ask the sales person to adjust and fit the brace for you

Thank you Sabre.

I remember when the Hans device came out and the exact same comments and war stories of survival from accidents was used to validate how the Hans device was not needed. Pretty much every racer uses them now, certainly all pro racers are required to, and they have been proven to save lives.

The only difference i can see between the Hans device and the "motorbike" neck brace, apart from the shape, is that the Hans device connects to your helmet and is held in place by your seat belts. My fear with the bike neck brace is that it will actually cause a more "stretching" type injury due to leverage between the helmet and the neck brace. (if that makes sense)

BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2019, 08:20:03 am »
My fear with the bike neck brace is that it will actually cause a more "stretching" type injury due to leverage between the helmet and the neck brace. (if that makes sense)

your sentence and sentiments make perfect sense.
it it what the rest of us are worried about too.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2019, 08:20:37 am »

Thank you Sabre.

I remember when the Hans device came out and the exact same comments and war stories of survival from accidents was used to validate how the Hans device was not needed. Pretty much every racer uses them now, certainly all pro racers are required to, and they have been proven to save lives.

The only difference i can see between the Hans device and the "motorbike" neck brace, apart from the shape, is that the Hans device connects to your helmet and is held in place by your seat belts. My fear with the bike neck brace is that it will actually cause a more "stretching" type injury due to leverage between the helmet and the neck brace. (if that makes sense)

Your last sentence is exactly why I have a problem with a neckbrace, of any manufacturer.  In a perfect type of accident, possible the neckbrace can avoid over-compression of the vertebrae.

But, in my opinion, the neckbrace will much sooner cause the head to be levered even further out than it would have, by having the brace act as a fulcrum to lever the hemet over,

over-extending the neck and breaking it.

Comparisons between safety features such as seatbelts and the Hans device is just too fat outside the world of a motorcycle to have any reference and/or relevance. On a motorcycle you go flying, and in a car it is vital to be restrained in the vehicle. Different worlds.

Online Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2019, 08:24:24 am »

except that time he defrauded the medical aid schemes, got caught and found guilty. Might influence why he went from practicing GP to billionaire bike accessory guy. Speaks about the character of the person, he was willing to put profit above honesty.

edit: link for lazy https://www.insurance-times.net/article/fraud-doctors-being-tackled

I still don't see what this has to do with the topic