Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Amps from the Auxiliary Plug  (Read 214 times)

Offline AdventureBoy

Amps from the Auxiliary Plug
« on: December 16, 2018, 08:26:54 pm »
Evening
Can anyone help me with a question on the 2015 Africa Twin electronics. I would like to purchase a Desert Fox portable compressor to take on trips. It look like a robust unit. I have fitted the Honda auxiliary plug to my dash, connecting to the wiring harness behind the fairing. Will I be able to draw enough amps to run the compressor without damaging the wiring to the auxiliary plug or without popping the fuse? The specs on the Desert Fox pump do not indicate the amps and I do not know the maximum amps that can be safely supplied. Has anyone used this compressor with the Honda supplied Auxiliary plug?

Thanks

AdventureBoy

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Amps from the Auxiliary Plug
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:54:33 pm »
2015 AT? ...typo?

Anyways.... you can't run anything much more that a cell/GPS off that aux plug
If you want to use a compressor you'll need to run it off the battery direct .
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:41:29 pm »
AFAIK most bike aux plugs have 10A capacity - so it depends on your compressor? (could be between 8 and 15A)

But to be sure, I would wire a fused plug from the battery and keep the motor running when using the compressor

Offline Captain Cook

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 09:58:11 pm »
Mine was fitted by Honda.  There is an 7.5A inline fuse in the dash behind the plug that popped and I had to take both side covers and the front of the ferring off to get to it.  Was told it would not be strong enough for a compressor.  I have seen auxiiiary power plugs mounted on the toolbox in front of the battery and connected directly to the battery.  This is assuming you keep the toolbox empty.  Nice option as it allows you to charge phones etc. at night with the ignition off.

The following users thanked this post: AdventureBoy

Offline AdventureBoy

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 07:03:36 am »
Mine was fitted by Honda.  There is an 7.5A inline fuse in the dash behind the plug that popped and I had to take both side covers and the front of the ferring off to get to it.  Was told it would not be strong enough for a compressor.  I have seen auxiiiary power plugs mounted on the toolbox in front of the battery and connected directly to the battery.  This is assuming you keep the toolbox empty.  Nice option as it allows you to charge phones etc. at night with the ignition off.

Thanks Captain Cook, this confirms my concern. I will wire a direct connection to the battery and use that.