Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Royal Enfield talk  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Straatkat

Re: Royal Enfield talk
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 03:32:46 pm »
Sorry to spoil your dreaming, but I am firmly in Xpats corner on this one.
Current rides: Husqvarna TE 610 (2009),  KTM 950 SE(2007)
 KTM 500 EXC (2016)
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline blockheadxl650v

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 04:24:16 pm »
I was at Mike Hopkins in Tygervalley last week and they have a Himalayan standing there so it seems they are thinking of bringing them to SA.

Offline Jovan

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 04:37:29 pm »
 :sip:

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2018, 06:04:11 pm »
I was at Mike Hopkins in Tygervalley last week and they have a Himalayan standing there so it seems they are thinking of bringing them to SA.

Good news if they do.
Yes the people that are interested in a Himalayan does not look at spect sheets.
They look at a lifestyle of simplicity,  back to the roots adventure biking.
After all that dream is not kak at all but either you see it, or you dont :lol8:
I will rather ride the Royal Enfield than the CRF250Rally with the same hp.
Seen enough reviews and adventures in India the past couple of days to feel this way.

The RE Himalayan has got fi so it may pass EU4 omission  legislation

Offline TheBear

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2018, 06:44:44 pm »

Does Royal Enfield SA not exist anymore?

http://www.royalenfield.co.za/dealers/

If not, I wouldn't be surprised.  There were some horror stories about how they treated customers.
.#BRADICAL!

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2018, 07:07:59 pm »
 :spitcoffee:

If not, I wouldn't be surprised.  There were some horror stories about how they treated customers.

Same goes for BMW but they are still going strong :lol8:

Offline TheBear

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2018, 07:09:42 pm »

Oi!  Voooooooerseeeeeeeeeeek!!!!   :laughing4:

As far as I know, BMW never took anyone's money and then never delivered the bike! 
.#BRADICAL!

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 07:14:10 pm »

Oi!  Voooooooerseeeeeeeeeeek!!!!   :laughing4:

As far as I know, BMW never took anyone's money and then never delivered the bike!

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline blockheadxl650v

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 08:35:30 pm »

I havn't heard about the horror stories but Thruxton Motorcycles in Tygervalley have always had a lot of RE in stock and from what I understood from the salesman is that they import them. Then a few months ago Mike Hopkins moved from Paardenieland and amalgamated with Thruxton and are continuing with Royal Enfield.
The Himalayan they have there is busy with the homogenization ( or what ever they call it) process and they are quoting a ball park figure of 80k.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 11:35:40 pm »

I havn't heard about the horror stories but Thruxton Motorcycles in Tygervalley have always had a lot of RE in stock and from what I understood from the salesman is that they import them. Then a few months ago Mike Hopkins moved from Paardenieland and amalgamated with Thruxton and are continuing with Royal Enfield.
The Himalayan they have there is busy with the homogenization ( or what ever they call it) process and they are quoting a ball park figure of 80k.

Appreciate the feedback bud, and should you get more info please do share here,  :thumleft:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 08:42:46 am »
It's like the 110 Defender of bikes?
'Routine is the thief of time'

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 09:11:19 am »
It's like the 110 Defender of bikes?

You can say that  :)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 01:40:20 pm »

Good news if they do.
Yes the people that are interested in a Himalayan does not look at spect sheets.
They look at a lifestyle of simplicity,  back to the roots adventure biking.
After all that dream is not kak at all but either you see it, or you dont :lol8:
I will rather ride the Royal Enfield than the CRF250Rally with the same hp.
Seen enough reviews and adventures in India the past couple of days to feel this way.

The RE Himalayan has got fi so it may pass EU4 omission  legislation
I have to ask why ? Never owned a Enfield but just looking at what owners have to say Id rather take a good looking but boring Honda that will have almost zero problems. Pretty sure when you are looking to sell its not going to be easy to move on.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 07:15:17 pm »
I think I have already said why  :) You either like it or you dont.

Not everything in life has to be logical. I have a NC750x and people think about it truthfully like the Toyota Corolla of bikes. It is great, I get constantly 28 to 31km/l confirmed at pump and it is super reliable. It looks good and is practical, it is cheap to maintain. It lacks however a little something...character

Maybe I like a brunette and you a redhead?  8) What does it matter, I life my life and do what makes me happy.
If AI made a mistake I say 'life happens' and move on.
Point is: I have always loved classic bikes and would love to own a RE and speak to people that share my sentiment.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2018, 08:03:17 pm »
And at the end of the day, that's what counts. Your happiness.

Not everything in life has to be logical. I have a NC750x and people think about it truthfully like the Toyota Corolla of bikes. It is great, I get constantly 28 to 31km/l confirmed at pump and it is super reliable. It looks good and is practical, it is cheap to maintain. It lacks however a little something...character

Maybe I like a brunette and you a redhead?  8) What does it matter, I life my life and do what makes me happy.
Point is: I have always loved classic bikes and would love to own a RE and speak to people that share my sentiment.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Online benreaper

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2018, 08:25:59 pm »
And at the end of the day, that's what counts. Your happiness.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Exactly. I bought my DR600 with many naysayers trying to put me off with all kinds of horror story's.
 I just said f@ck it, that's what I want, I ride at my own pace and if I struggle to kick it for 15min because there is no happy button then so be it, I wanted an icon.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 06:41:21 am »

Very true.  The only measure of whether a bike is a great bike is whether it does the job for you.  Does it make you smile.  If it does, it is great.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 07:00:55 am »

Very true.  The only measure of whether a bike is a great bike is whether it does the job for you.  Does it make you smile.  If it does, it is great.
Very true that! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 09:47:31 am »

Very true that! :thumleft:

Absolutely  :thumleft:

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2018, 11:36:41 pm »
https://youtu.be/G8UF8d2ZOYc

<iframe width="806" height="453" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:38:17 pm by Tom van Brits »