Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Royal Enfield talk  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Phacochoerus

Re: Royal Enfield talk
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2019, 11:37:29 am »
I have a RE 500 Classic and have enjoyed nearly 20 000 kms of trouble free riding (except for a cracked battery). Whilst I would not like it to be my only motorcycle, I enjoy the nostalgia and the easy riding. I can enjoy the scenery. Unimportantly I get around 38 kms to a litre of petrol . From bad  past experience I tend not to ring its neck and will probably be rewarded for this by longevity. Whilst the technical details are old the metallurgy are a big upgrade as are the brakes and the starting procedure, the fuel injection  and self adjusting tappets make for easy maintenance.  I have fitted a riders seat, replacing the loaf of bread that came as standard a passenger seat. (My wife thinks that the BMW comfort mode is a joke and loves this sprung saddle). The paintwork is as good as all modern motorcycles. Regarding the service backup, I found that a spare clutch cable had to be ordered from India.  No problem I had one made up by the locally by Cliffie at Wildside motorcycles, Knysna.
But remember, please, the Law by which we live,
We are not built to comprehend a lie,
We can neither love nor pity nor forgive..
If you make a slip in handling us you die!
Rudyard Kipling - The secret of machines

The following users thanked this post: eberhard

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2019, 01:20:16 pm »
I have a RE 500 Classic and have enjoyed nearly 20 000 kms of trouble free riding (except for a cracked battery). Whilst I would not like it to be my only motorcycle, I enjoy the nostalgia and the easy riding. I can enjoy the scenery. Unimportantly I get around 38 kms to a litre of petrol . From bad  past experience I tend not to ring its neck and will probably be rewarded for this by longevity. Whilst the technical details are old the metallurgy are a big upgrade as are the brakes and the starting procedure, the fuel injection  and self adjusting tappets make for easy maintenance.  I have fitted a riders seat, replacing the loaf of bread that came as standard a passenger seat. (My wife thinks that the BMW comfort mode is a joke and loves this sprung saddle). The paintwork is as good as all modern motorcycles. Regarding the service backup, I found that a spare clutch cable had to be ordered from India.  No problem I had one made up by the locally by Cliffie at Wildside motorcycles, Knysna.

Thank you so much for this post.

Lovely bike you got there, and the sprung saddles are complimenting the bike and good to hear they are comfy and not only a show piece!

Many will not get it, and others will love it. I am a huge RE fan because it is classic back to the roots biking.

The new 650 RE Interceptor twin is really doing it for me as well, and recently launched in the USA. Air/oil cooled, Euro 4 compliant and also a 270degree crank.
I did read a full article in the January Bike SA magazine about it, and I am impressed.

Also read about the Royal Enfield KX Concept...now there is an interesting looking bike!

The following users thanked this post: Phacochoerus

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2019, 01:57:38 pm »

What would say is a comfortable cruising speed on the RE?

Offline Phacochoerus

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2019, 06:04:00 pm »
90 to 100 kph. Will run to an indicated 130  kph on the speedo, but GPS tells me it is about a true 120 kph. I am happy at 90 to 100. I have done  over 400kms in a day, but have other tools for that.
But remember, please, the Law by which we live,
We are not built to comprehend a lie,
We can neither love nor pity nor forgive..
If you make a slip in handling us you die!
Rudyard Kipling - The secret of machines

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 11:10:05 am »
https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-himalayan-650-launch-india/

Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 To Launch In India This Year

MAXABOUT TEAM  Jan 5, 2019  33535 2

Royal Enfield Himalayan 650, a dream motorcycle for those who love tackling odd terrains at all times, will launch in India this year. As Royal Enfield’s CEO Siddhartha Lal has already hinted at a bigger Himalayan, one fact that comes clear is that it will share the platform with the recently launched Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650. Not just that, the brand will try its best to test the bigger Himalayan extensively before the official launch later this year. The first version of Himalayan with 411cc, single cylinder engine was highly criticized for the least amount of testing before its launch.

The current-gen motorcycle is a failure for this impressive moniker and we hope that Royal Enfield runs full efficiency testing before things are made official again. Fans have high expectations from the brand and this would be the last chance for their off-road trial. The all-new 648cc, twin-cylinder motor on the expected Himalayan 650 will retain the same tune of 47 HP at 7250 rpm and 52 Nm at 5250 rpm. This makes the engine good for equal results when it comes to slow speed riding and highway cruising. The engine comes mated to a 6-speed gearbox.

The present generation Himalayan comes with a 411cc, single cylinder engine producing 24.5 BHP at 6500 rpm and 32 Nm at 4250 rpm. The engine feels puny in front of the new twin-cylinder motor but still is quite responsive when compared to the old Royal Enfield engines. The tyre size on the present Himalayan is perfect for the job while ground clearance and suspension travel will change for sure with the new frame. The bigger Himalayan will support design changes to overcome the current limitations while pricing will surely be on the upper side of both the present 650cc bikes.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2019, 11:17:34 am »
Hmm so they admitted the 400 was not very good  ???
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:51 am »
Hmm so they admitted the 400 was not very good  ???

Yes, but apparently the 400 got reworked a bit and will still continue in the market.

Online eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2019, 05:38:43 pm »
I spotted this picture on another web site. It simply just tells so much.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:29:22 pm by eberhard »
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2019, 06:19:32 pm »
I've just re vamped a 500 Classic and am chuffed with the result.
Will post some pics shortly.
Cruises happily at 100/110 kph with consumption of 31 km/litre.
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2019, 07:08:32 pm »
I spotted this picture on another web site. It simply just tells so much.

It tells a story, thanks for sharing

I've just re vamped a 500 Classic and am chuffed with the result.
Will post some pics shortly.
Cruises happily at 100/110 kph with consumption of 31 km/litre.

Please do, thanks Tommy

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2019, 08:58:53 am »
So I bought a used Royal Enfield 500 Classic in Winkelspruit, Kzn south coast about 6 months ago... The bike had low mileage (12k kms), but was badly rusted due to being exposed to sea air/rain, etc.
I started stripping rust and corrosion from the front and worked my way to the back. This took about 4 1/2 weeks, working around 2-3 hours a day..
What I learnt was that these are simple machines with no frills, but basically very well designed.

Starting the cleanup.....
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2019, 09:04:39 am »
Royal Enfield spares are basically available in any good hardware! :biggrin:  The globes are standard car globes and the lights are very good. The oil was drained and refilled, air filter blown out, sparkplugs replaced and cables oiled.
I used rust remover and metal polish, and slowly the machine started looking better.....
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2019, 09:08:20 am »
A lot of labour involved, but it was really lekker to tinker and play..... great stress relief!
I managed to download the workshop manual via internet, and have it available if anyone wants a copy. The manual includes a lot of photos and is 252 pages!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2019, 09:12:28 am »
The clever design lets you remove the rear wheel without disturbing the sprocket/chain/brake settings. If you have to sort out a puncture, it's simply a matter of loosening a nut and sliding the axle shaft out.... bingo and the rear wheel comes off!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2019, 09:17:31 am »
As I went along, the Enfield started getting back to it's former glory.... I tried to keep the bike as original as possible regarding paintwork, frame, etc. but had to respray certain parts due to the severe corrosion that had to be removed.... I think the previous owner never washed this bike ,,, EVER!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2019, 09:32:56 am »
I really enjoyed riding the "Blou Brommer", and have taken it on some long rides... 300 - 350kms round trip to Geluksburg from Rosetta, and it handled gravel roads pretty well.... it's not as stable as my Transalp, but then again the rear suspension only has around 80mm travel, so you have to check out for potholes! :laughing4: :lol8:..... your kidneys can take a beating if you klap a hole at 70-80kph!  It's not the type of machine to race down a gravel road.... rather ride at a sedate pace and enjoy the scenery.

The sounds of these machines is addictive and very relaxed "putta- putta"  is the order of the day. The Enfield has a surprising amount of torque in any gear, considering it's limited power output, but that's what makes it so reliable..... So far I've had no  hassles mechanically whatsoever. It starts easily in cold weather, both happy-button and kickstart. Maintenance is minimal and I'm considering planning a long trip soon (time permitting).
Fuel range is 350 - 400 km on a tankfull and I've consistently got a consumption of 31 km/litre.
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2019, 09:39:06 am »
I removed the passenger /pillion seat, and replaced it with a carrier, so can attach panniers and tents/sleeping bags, etc.
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2019, 09:47:47 am »
 :biggrin: