Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Saturday morning on the D2447  (Read 685 times)

Offline Bommelina

Saturday morning on the D2447
« on: December 18, 2018, 08:47:29 am »
A little mud stuck  :biggrin:

hh

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
Re: Saturday morning on the D2447
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 09:00:56 am »
Oops.. How did you get out ?

I  once got stuck in sand.... Forgot or did not think to put Traction Control off....My excuse is that I did not expect such a deep sand pit. Got into the sand, Traction control killed my power and there I stood.  Will not happen again. :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 09:13:11 am »
Ja, hoe het jy uitgekom? Dit is altyd goed om uit ander se ervarings en kennis te leer.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Bommelina

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 09:25:08 am »
Being a member of the AA (Automobile Association not Alcoholics Anonymous) and with cell phone reception the problem were sorted.
It was a two hour wait for the rescue service search and recovery.

Did try to dig the rig out but with that type of mud it was a futile exercise. Not stones along the road, only thorn trees, plastic bottles, tins and some dead cow bones. The rear wheel just work it through, no traction.

The wife was not a happy camper, seeing that she got splashed with mud during the first mud hole crossing. There were four along this road section. It was the last one that got us.

Now I am looking at a small type of hand operated winch to carry along for these type of fun  ;D

hh

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:54:28 am »
Funny how the front wheel have the tendency to SPLAS the monkey  :laughing4:

Wet roads are no joke.  This happened on our trip to Hogsback about 2 years ago.
It was RAINING....I came down this road.  It curved to the right and was STEEP downhill.  Tried reducing more speed but this pulls more to the right.
I started to slide into the ditch....I gave her more power to try and get LEFT pull, but kept on sliding into the ditch.
When it got stuck I was flung off the bike and did a neat Tuck and roll.
Luckily I am six foot six, and the two of us managed to get her pointing in the right direction.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 12:53:06 pm »
Now I am looking at a small type of hand operated winch to carry along for these type of fun  ;D

Perhaps a Tirfor type winch? Although they all look a bit too heavy. Maybe a ratchet strap arrangement? Those bigger ones that strap down the side canvas on trucks may work?

Offline Bommelina

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 01:26:53 pm »
I'm actually looking at this type, depending at what its physical size is. Can use it for the Speelgoedk............. (oeps neerly got banned) eh the Toyota HiLux also, after I got rid of the heavy winch that is only used to get others out of the sheet.

hh

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 04:09:06 pm »
I'm actually looking at this type, depending at what its physical size is. Can use it for the Speelgoedk............. (oeps neerly got banned) eh the Toyota HiLux also, after I got rid of the heavy winch that is only used to get others out of the sheet.

hh

I have one of these that I use in the garage, they are quite bulcky and heavy and the cable is not that long.I guess you can add a strap as an extension. My guess is that it is about 500mm longs when "folded" and probably weighs around 6kg. If you like I can make sure of the measurements and weight for you.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 05:51:08 pm »
A looooong rope with two pulleys 1*double and 1,*triple... Saw this trick in jbay.. A few deck hands pulled a 25 foot cat onto a trailer easy peezie..

Offline Bommelina

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 07:31:52 am »
Thanks 'Black-Hawk' but not to worry, going to get one in any case for the HiLux

'Knucklhead' - Looking also at something in that line. Refer to attached .pdf file. We are using this in the caving club. Can exercise some serious pull with this kind of setup.
Only need to find place to store the rope. The only problem is when you are on your lonesome self is the second (stationary) anchor point.

hh