Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Driving with numberplate not visible ???  (Read 2711 times)

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: Driving with numberplate not visible ???
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 07:12:51 pm »
My own experience is that a perspex plate gets covered easier  with dirt   when riding gravel .

I don't really think this this would be too much of an issue

Apologize while wiping off the mud; no way they can prove you did not pick it up whilst riding that day  :thumleft:

I guess if your bike is clean barring the license plate....that might be a more complicated issue to explain. :scratch:
I seldom wash my bike... usually only before a major service... :sip:

Online Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 08:38:11 pm »
My own experience is that a perspex plate gets covered easier  with dirt   when riding gravel .

Apologize while wiping off the mud; no way they can prove you did not pick it up whilst riding that day  :thumleft:

I guess if your bike is clean barring the license plate....that might be a more complicated issue to explain. :scratch:
Nah, I let them wash it for me after the service

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

:downtown:
bmw 800gs  
honda nc700 (sold)
vuka 110 (sold)

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 08:50:35 pm »
 :sip: You guys ever heard of the requirement of the plate must be riveted on?  :bueller:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 07:49:41 am »

Janee.  Rest of bike clean enough to eat off, but number plate covered in mud, so hard you have to chisel it off.  If I was the cop I'd lock you up for "thinking I am an idiot".
.#BRADICAL!

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 08:31:41 am »
Moet n bike n nr plaat op he  :o
Net as die bike stadig is...
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2018, 09:16:18 am »

There is no "them" when I service my bike... :sip:

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 03:48:38 pm »

There is no "them" when I service my bike... :sip:

'zactly. Nor when I wash my bike.

Offline LionBuell

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 12:51:14 pm »
Personally I do not have experience with number plate issues on the bike but drove down the Garden Route a few years ago with mountain bikes on the back of the car and was fined R500 due to them obscuring the rear number plate of the car.
:sip: You guys ever heard of the requirement of the plate must be riveted on?  :bueller:
As far as I know it has to be riveted.
 I don't know what the issue is with a number plate. So much less hassle to have it on. Most speed camera I have seen are set up to take the front picture. Not paying the fine will not make it go away. It will stay on the system for a couple of years until there is some interest and penalties added,then when you want to take out a disc you get a nice surprise....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 04:19:19 pm »
OK and just to mix it up some more  :lol8: ... what would the fine be for an illegal size plate? Have used them for years (after melting a few) without a problem but know some get nailed in Zilleland etc. ... while here in the Wild East Cape, well it is mostly wild.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 05:21:32 pm »
Good question ................... will I get nabbed in WC if I ride around there with my undersized GP plate? Or do you only bother about your own?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2018, 05:26:40 pm »
OK and just to mix it up some more  :lol8: ... what would the fine be for an illegal size plate? Have used them for years (after melting a few) without a problem but know some get nailed in Zilleland etc. ... while here in the Wild East Cape, well it is mostly wild.

R1000.  They are not just illegal sized, they also do not carry the SABS standard. 

Good question ................... will I get nabbed in WC if I ride around there with my undersized GP plate? Or do you only bother about your own?

The rules of the road is the National Road Traffic Act, so not provincial. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:28:51 pm by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 06:03:26 pm »

R1000.  They are not just illegal sized, they also do not carry the SABS standard. 

True but provinces have problems persuing their tickets and handing over summonses in other provinces ...
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline TheBear

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 06:34:36 pm »

True but provinces have problems persuing their tickets and handing over summonses in other provinces ...

Yeah.  We know how we struggle with basic services in SA.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 07:37:57 pm »
according to AARTO:

1231   Motor cycle, motor tricycle or motor quadrucycle without a number plate affixed to the back of the vehicle  - Reg. 35(7)(e)    I    500   1

which means it's a transgression with a R500 fine and not a criminal offence

further

1214   Vehicle with licence numbers which were in any way obscured or had become illegible  - Reg. 35(6)(b)    O    0   6

which means "If the fine value is 0 and the I/O reads "O" then this is a criminal offence and no fine has been set for this offence. It requires a court appearance.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:38:45 pm by Bundu »

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2018, 07:52:47 pm »
Personally I do not have experience with number plate issues on the bike but drove down the Garden Route a few years ago with mountain bikes on the back of the car and was fined R500 due to them obscuring the rear number plate of the car.
As far as I know it has to be riveted.
 I don't know what the issue is with a number plate. So much less hassle to have it on. Most speed camera I have seen are set up to take the front picture. Not paying the fine will not make it go away. It will stay on the system for a couple of years until there is some interest and penalties added,then when you want to take out a disc you get a nice surprise....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Not if the veichle was bought pre the regulation... :sip:

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2018, 08:09:22 pm »
Not if the veichle was bought pre the regulation... :sip:

got this somewhere else:

""Permanent plates will combat crime' - RMI - July 13, 2007

South Africa's Retail Motor Industry organisation (RMI) says permanent fixing of number plates will help to combat vehicle crime.

Changes in South Africa's Road Traffic Act will make it compulsory from January 2009 to fix number plates to vehicles with "ne-way" security screws or pop rivets but the RMI intends to lobby for earlier implementation of the new law.

It says the permanent fixing of plates will play a significant role in combating vehicle crime and bring South Africa into line with other countries where similar laws are enforced.

RMI spokesman Giel Steyn said: "We need the co-operation of all those involved - especially motor dealers - to drive the initiative

The new law stipulates that number plates must be fixed at all corners to a permanent part of the vehicle

"Dealers will be acting in the best interests of customers by immediately promoting permanent mounting."

The new law - passed on May 4 - stipulates that plates must be fixed at each corners to a permanent part of the vehicle by one-way security screws or pop rivets of least 4mm diameter.

The holes for the screws or rivets must be not more than 20mm from the edges at the corners of the plate and care must be taken to ensure that characters are not damaged when drilling or partially obscured by screws or rivets.

Steyn said: "Mounting plates with double-sided tape or clip-in holders will no longer comply with the Road Traffic Act."

Under the new law, the size of plates will be standardised from January 1, 2010

We are convinced the number plate industry will readily accommodate dealers and consumers
. Front plates will be 520 x 113mm with characters 75mm high; the same size will be required at the rear. Vertical plates will be 250 x 205mm, also with characters 75mm high.

In exceptional cases where the mounting space is less than 205mm plates measuring 250mm by 160mm will be allowed.

Only one size of number plate will be allowed for motorcycles 250 x 165mm with 60mm characters and similar fixing regulations apply.

Steyn said the RMI recommended these standard sizes be phased-in now, before the law makes them compulsory.

He added: "We're convinced the number plate industry will readily accommodate dealers and the public by supplying pre-drilled or pre-marked number plates, along with the required fasteners."

He also recommended stamped aluminium plates since the plastic equivalents were easily destroyed by fire. In either case, the plate must carry an SABS certification mark.

He advised: "Only use daisy-type pop rivets on plastic materials; use a bit of silicone to seal holes to prevent corrosion between the number plate and the vehicle's bumper or bodywork."

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2018, 08:12:44 pm »
Kak... my experience is that plates can be removed very easily, the mounting plate often is fixed to the veichle with PLASTIC nuts... go figure...  :eek7:
It is a money making venture imho. :biggrin:

Offline Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 08:29:46 pm »
Why would you want to drive or ride without a number plate...?

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »
Kak... my experience is that plates can be removed very easily, the mounting plate often is fixed to the veichle with PLASTIC nuts... go figure...  :eek7:
It is a money making venture imho. :biggrin:
absolutely!
laws created through ignorance!

my plate has rivets, but is mounted with 3M Dual Lock - I grace my bike with a plate when I deem it necessary  ;D :thumleft:

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2018, 10:09:47 pm »
Why would you want to drive or ride without a number plate...?

Dit maak jou bike stadiger  :thumleft:
1250 GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM