Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Driving with numberplate not visible ???  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: Driving with numberplate not visible ???
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2018, 10:10:00 pm »
Not if the veichle was bought pre the regulation... :sip:

got this somewhere else:

""Permanent plates will combat crime' - RMI - July 13, 2007

South Africa's Retail Motor Industry organisation (RMI) says permanent fixing of number plates will help to combat vehicle crime.

Changes in South Africa's Road Traffic Act will make it compulsory from January 2009 to fix number plates to vehicles with "ne-way" security screws or pop rivets but the RMI intends to lobby for earlier implementation of the new law.

It says the permanent fixing of plates will play a significant role in combating vehicle crime and bring South Africa into line with other countries where similar laws are enforced.

RMI spokesman Giel Steyn said: "We need the co-operation of all those involved - especially motor dealers - to drive the initiative

The new law stipulates that number plates must be fixed at all corners to a permanent part of the vehicle

"Dealers will be acting in the best interests of customers by immediately promoting permanent mounting."

The new law - passed on May 4 - stipulates that plates must be fixed at each corners to a permanent part of the vehicle by one-way security screws or pop rivets of least 4mm diameter.

The holes for the screws or rivets must be not more than 20mm from the edges at the corners of the plate and care must be taken to ensure that characters are not damaged when drilling or partially obscured by screws or rivets.

Steyn said: "Mounting plates with double-sided tape or clip-in holders will no longer comply with the Road Traffic Act."

Under the new law, the size of plates will be standardised from January 1, 2010

We are convinced the number plate industry will readily accommodate dealers and consumers
. Front plates will be 520 x 113mm with characters 75mm high; the same size will be required at the rear. Vertical plates will be 250 x 205mm, also with characters 75mm high.

In exceptional cases where the mounting space is less than 205mm plates measuring 250mm by 160mm will be allowed.

Only one size of number plate will be allowed for motorcycles 250 x 165mm with 60mm characters and similar fixing regulations apply.

Steyn said the RMI recommended these standard sizes be phased-in now, before the law makes them compulsory.

He added: "We're convinced the number plate industry will readily accommodate dealers and the public by supplying pre-drilled or pre-marked number plates, along with the required fasteners."

He also recommended stamped aluminium plates since the plastic equivalents were easily destroyed by fire. In either case, the plate must carry an SABS certification mark.

He advised: "Only use daisy-type pop rivets on plastic materials; use a bit of silicone to seal holes to prevent corrosion between the number plate and the vehicle's bumper or bodywork."

Just bought a new VW UP.  Plates were fastened with double sided tape.  Dealer said the bumpers were too lightweight for the plates to be riveted to it and not crack.  My experience with industrial tape is that it takes a fair amount of effort to remove a plate fastened that way.  Problem comes when somebody buys the small rolls of mirror tape from the DIY bar at Super Spar for R9.99.  That types tear apart like nothing.

Offline Pyscho Porra

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Sworn To Fun and Loyal To Rum
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2018, 10:32:48 pm »

Do you think mine is big enough
"The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all"

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2018, 07:52:55 am »

Just bought a new VW UP.  Plates were fastened with double sided tape.  Dealer said the bumpers were too lightweight for the plates to be riveted to it and not crack.  My experience with industrial tape is that it takes a fair amount of effort to remove a plate fastened that way.  Problem comes when somebody buys the small rolls of mirror tape from the DIY bar at Super Spar for R9.99.  That types tear apart like nothing.
[/quote]

A bumper you cannot pop rivet - WTF?  Great advertisement. I would have told the dealer he had just sold me a kak car.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:17:59 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline TheBear

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2018, 08:15:18 am »

got this somewhere else:

South Africa's Retail Motor Industry organisation (RMI) says permanent fixing of number plates will help to combat vehicle crime.

Changes in South Africa's Road Traffic Act will make it compulsory from January 2009 to fix number plates to vehicles with "ne-way" security screws or pop rivets but the RMI intends to lobby for earlier implementation of the new law.

It says the permanent fixing of plates will play a significant role in combating vehicle crime and bring South Africa into line with other countries where similar laws are enforced.

RMI spokesman Giel Steyn said: "We need the co-operation of all those involved - especially motor dealers - to drive the initiative

The new law stipulates that number plates must be fixed at all corners to a permanent part of the vehicle

"Dealers will be acting in the best interests of customers by immediately promoting permanent mounting."

The new law - passed on May 4 - stipulates that plates must be fixed at each corners to a permanent part of the vehicle by one-way security screws or pop rivets of least 4mm diameter.

The holes for the screws or rivets must be not more than 20mm from the edges at the corners of the plate and care must be taken to ensure that characters are not damaged when drilling or partially obscured by screws or rivets.

Steyn said: "Mounting plates with double-sided tape or clip-in holders will no longer comply with the Road Traffic Act."

We are convinced the number plate industry will readily accommodate dealers and consumers
. Front plates will be 520 x 113mm with characters 75mm high; the same size will be required at the rear. Vertical plates will be 250 x 205mm, also with characters 75mm high.

In exceptional cases where the mounting space is less than 205mm plates measuring 250mm by 160mm will be allowed.

Only one size of number plate will be allowed for motorcycles 250 x 165mm with 60mm characters and similar fixing regulations apply.

Steyn said the RMI recommended these standard sizes be phased-in now, before the law makes them compulsory.

He added: "We're convinced the number plate industry will readily accommodate dealers and the public by supplying pre-drilled or pre-marked number plates, along with the required fasteners."

He also recommended stamped aluminium plates since the plastic equivalents were easily destroyed by fire. In either case, the plate must carry an SABS certification mark.

He advised: "Only use daisy-type pop rivets on plastic materials; use a bit of silicone to seal holes to prevent corrosion between the number plate and the vehicle's bumper or bodywork."

Sounds like utter balderdash to me.  The legal requirement is that the number plate holder is bolted into place with one way bolts.  The number plate is then riveted to that. 
.#BRADICAL!

Offline 73 Peanut

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2018, 09:05:11 am »
So far it seems that nobody has been locked or had there bike impounded . Must be to much paperwork involved .

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2018, 10:38:45 am »

got this somewhere else:

Sounds like utter balderdash to me.  The legal requirement is that the number plate holder is bolted into place with one way bolts.  The number plate is then riveted to that.

Sure. Not sure that I care that much. Simply an additional data point

Offline TheBear

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2018, 10:40:41 am »

got this somewhere else:

I don't particularly care how the plate is fixed either, but I would not be comfortable with a lying salesman.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:41:36 am by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2018, 11:30:52 am »
OK and just to mix it up some more  :lol8: ... what would the fine be for an illegal size plate? Have used them for years (after melting a few) without a problem but know some get nailed in Zilleland etc. ... while here in the Wild East Cape, well it is mostly wild.

R1000.  They are not just illegal sized, they also do not carry the SABS standard. 

Good question ................... will I get nabbed in WC if I ride around there with my undersized GP plate? Or do you only bother about your own?

The rules of the road is the National Road Traffic Act, so not provincial.

True but provinces have problems persuing their tickets and handing over summonses in other provinces ...

Ok, lemme try again .................. I can ride around all day in all the other provinces with a little plate , maybe no plate at all. In GP no plate is standard practise.
Now, if I try the same in WC, will I get pulled up for it by your vigilante cops? Will I get fined, or harassed by the same vigilante, if my bike is parked in the street, outside the pub?

This is a question about probability ............... it has nothing to do with the law.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2018, 04:54:52 pm »
To me there's no point in giving the cops the opportunity to hassle me over something as mundane as my number plates which are out of mind and do nothing to enhance my riding experience, so I don't particularly want to break the law in that regard.

However I don't want to be put to any extra trouble either, since it just happens that my 1150 came with an illegal plate the day I bought it. It measures 170 square, and the characters are 50mm high. It also has no official approval markings. The bike came with roadworthy naturally, and has been stopped and 'looked at' by the cops on various occasions with no mention made about the plates. I've been riding it that way for about 10 years now, so what good would the extra trouble and expense achieve at this stage?

Similarly, my 650 which has a legal plate, but I have returned home from rides on the dirt twice now minus the plate, due to the flimsy original mounting on the X Challenge. I've now overcome that problem with a modified mounting of my own, but the existing plate, the third, is disfigured by black scorch marks from dangling by the wiring against the tyre, until I stopped to see what the noise was about. That's when I fixed the mounting good and proper, but didn't cough for another new plate so it's still illegal.

Far as I'm concerned, number plates are not a functional part of the bike, and as said, do nothing for my riding pleasure. They're just a bloody nuisance!  :patch:

Online Odd Dog

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2018, 06:03:59 pm »

got this somewhere else:

I don't particularly care how the plate is fixed either, but I would not be comfortable with a lying salesman.

Are there any that don't lie?  >:D
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2018, 06:05:13 pm »
Personally I do not have experience with number plate issues on the bike but drove down the Garden Route a few years ago with mountain bikes on the back of the car and was fined R500 due to them obscuring the rear number plate of the car.
:sip: You guys ever heard of the requirement of the plate must be riveted on?  :bueller:
As far as I know it has to be riveted.
 I don't know what the issue is with a number plate. So much less hassle to have it on. Most speed camera I have seen are set up to take the front picture. Not paying the fine will not make it go away. It will stay on the system for a couple of years until there is some interest and penalties added,then when you want to take out a disc you get a nice surprise....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

:sip: Ekzakerly, how many oks participating here ride pre- 2007 bikes?  :bueller:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2018, 06:16:11 pm »
To me there's no point in giving the cops the opportunity to hassle me over something as mundane as my number plates which are out of mind and do nothing to enhance my riding experience, so I don't particularly want to break the law in that regard.

However I don't want to be put to any extra trouble either, since it just happens that my 1150 came with an illegal plate the day I bought it. It measures 170 square, and the characters are 50mm high. It also has no official approval markings. The bike came with roadworthy naturally, and has been stopped and 'looked at' by the cops on various occasions with no mention made about the plates. I've been riding it that way for about 10 years now, so what good would the extra trouble and expense achieve at this stage?

Similarly, my 650 which has a legal plate, but I have returned home from rides on the dirt twice now minus the plate, due to the flimsy original mounting on the X Challenge. I've now overcome that problem with a modified mounting of my own, but the existing plate, the third, is disfigured by black scorch marks from dangling by the wiring against the tyre, until I stopped to see what the noise was about. That's when I fixed the mounting good and proper, but didn't cough for another new plate so it's still illegal.

Far as I'm concerned, number plates are not a functional part of the bike, and as said, do nothing for my riding pleasure. They're just a bloody nuisance!  :patch:

I often go over 160km/h and that is a criminal offence AFAIK, so I would rather they don't know who the bike belongs to

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2018, 06:27:05 pm »
Ok, lemme try again .................. I can ride around all day in all the other provinces with a little plate , maybe no plate at all. In GP no plate is standard practise.
Now, if I try the same in WC, will I get pulled up for it by your vigilante cops? Will I get fined, or harassed by the same vigilante, if my bike is parked in the street, outside the pub?

This is a question about probability ............... it has nothing to do with the law.

Morbid curiosity - I'd also like to to know.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2018, 06:34:40 pm »

If I understand you correctly, then probability depends on enforcement of laws - from what I've heard, KZN and WC has better enforcement than Gauteng, so your probability would be higher to pick up shit?

Offline gunsports

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2018, 04:24:43 pm »
Just a heads up. WC provincial traffic vehicles are now fitted with front and rear mounted cameras. These auto scan number plates and are linked to e-natis. Anything outstanding and they have to grab you. These cameras also read speed. These cars operate in tandem or in three's so, they'll grab you coming or going.

The area boss gets a printout of every infringement recorded on any of the cars. If the officer did not follow up, he's in the shit. No more sleeping under the tree, it seems. And, about most of the WC major roads are now have average speed cameras installed.

Hulle raak nou vol kak .....

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Cracker

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2018, 10:43:31 pm »

I often go over 160km/h and that is a criminal offence AFAIK, so I would rather they don't know who the bike belongs to

Ek ook op die H2, dan change ek maar 3de toe.
1250 GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2018, 12:25:00 am »

Ek ook op die H2, dan change ek maar 3de toe.

En dan change broek ... en toe change prokureur .  :lol8:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline GSLaaitie

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2019, 03:37:56 pm »
Lyk my almal is lekker diktril oor hoe wetteloos ons regering en landsgenote is, maar as dit ons pas is ons meer as bereid om self die reels te breek en "loopholes" te soek
Beer isn't the answer. It's the question. The answer, is Yes!

True story

The following users thanked this post: RobC, zagser, DouglasN

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2019, 04:57:42 pm »

a bunch of the Avg speed cameras on the N3 in KZN are the same, linked to Natis and print out infringements.  Went through the Mooi river Toll plaza a while back and as I came out the other side, the traffic officer ran out and pulled me over, he had a print out showing the car licence had expired, photo, owner details, the lot, also had a bunch for trucks with expired licences and roadworthies.

Quote from: gunsports on 26 December 2018, 16:24:43
Just a heads up. WC provincial traffic vehicles are now fitted with front and rear mounted cameras. These auto scan number plates and are linked to e-natis. Anything outstanding and they have to grab you. These cameras also read speed. These cars operate in tandem or in three's so, they'll grab you coming or going.

The area boss gets a printout of every infringement recorded on any of the cars. If the officer did not follow up, he's in the shit. No more sleeping under the tree, it seems. And, about most of the WC major roads are now have average speed cameras installed.

Hulle raak nou vol kak .....

-----------------------
Douglas Norval

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2019, 10:15:36 pm »
Lyk my almal is lekker diktril oor hoe wetteloos ons regering en landsgenote is, maar as dit ons pas is ons meer as bereid om self die reels te breek en "loopholes" te soek

Anders as sommige mense in ons land, betaal ek Income tax, erf belasting, my water en my krag, en my voertuie se lisensies. As ek wil diktril wees om nie n nr plaat op te sit nie, is dit my keuse.

Diktril and Team.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:16:40 pm by Manic »
1250 GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM