How difficult is a clutch change, gearbox overhaul and front cover removal....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So a good friend who doesn,t get on here much, was at the CMC meeting on the first Sunday of December, he asked me to listen to his gearbox, HOLY SHYLOCK, but the noise was gone after pulling in the clutch, so gearbox bearing, intermediate shaft was my initial diagnosis.

Sent him home and don't ride it until it is fixed!!

I offered to assist, but he went in and stripped the gearbox out, but had issues with the swing arm pivots, so I collected the gearbox with swing arm and FD still attached.

I stripped and re-assembled the gearbox and drive train assembly and replaced gearbox bearings and seals, it was a very collapsed intermediate shaft bearing (nothing floating around in the gearbox side luckily) as suspected, it also had a leaking gearbox input shaft oil seal which would have caused kak shortly if not sorted.

Stuart, replaced the clutch friction plate himself while the box was out, good move as it was about finished and used new stretch bolts.

He had an oil leak on the crank front oil seal and on the cover edges, so he removed the alternator and most of the front end to strip the front engine cover, spray, it and refit with a new seal, lots of fiddly work to get in there, oh and he found a torn ball joint boot while he was at it.

He stripped and flushed out the starter motor and refitted it and other general maintenance and lube jobs.

I dropped off his drive train, but was too busy with family (and dog sitting) commitments to help fitting it.

By the time I had time the drive train was in already.  ::)

So today he was out for a brunch run to Harties, it was shifting and running sweetly, no rumble, a happy camper as he did 90% of it himself.

OK, you say could be challenging but can be done, the difference is Stuart who did the work turns 77 in a couple of weeks...  :sip: :thumleft: