CRF250L ABS and Engine lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey#13

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
2017 model
Currently on 3200km
Went for a short ride yesterday. 40km from home the ABS light started flashing. I stopped, switched off the rear ABS and resumed slowly with the light still flashing. 4km further on the engine light came on, the bike lost power and as I decelerated died.
Hereafter the bike would not start. Stuckk next to the road I contemplated for a bit who I should phone for help. Male pride got the better of me and after a poor visual inspection of all the visible bits (no leaking fluids, mangled metal or loose wiring etc.)I decided to try again. The bike fired up first time. The engine light remained on but the flashing ABS light was off and remained off all the way home at my very sedate pace. Back in town I stopped at a spaza shop to prep for the intensive maintenance I could envision myself undertaking the rest of the afternoon. Starting the engine all previous warning lights are now off. Just as it should be.
Back home I strip the plastic bits, have a look at the metal bits, have a look at the wiring bits, have a look at the battery bits and do a bit of (not useful for this predicament) introspection. Back on goes the plastic bits, all the while the warning indicating bits stay off.
Maintenance done it is time for a test ride. Back on comes my personal protective bits and off we go. No problems on the first 10 km of tarmac. I am able to release all 17 wild galloping ponies and reach 135km/h for the second time since purchasing the steed. Into a bit of sandy tweespoor parallel to the main road and 1km later the ABS light starts flashing. Oh dear!  Shortly thereafter the solid unblinking stern and "I'm so disappointed in you" engine light joins Mama ABS. Straight line home selected and 4km later she dies for a second time that day. Having experience now of what to do in such a situation, I switch everything off, walk to the nearest tree, walk back, get on and ride home with the stare of the unflinching engine light my sole companion.
Back home I try listening to Dr. Forum and can't find my specific set of problems but I do stumble across some annecdotal evidence that the blinking ABS light is a fault code. Now if only I knew that I could have noted the sequence!
I decide to park her for the night and on my morning commute, hopefully the fault returns and I can start deciphering this strange and unholy language. This morning the engine light stayed on from the first start, 500m into the commute the ABS light started flashing. 200m later the engine overheating light made a brief appearance to add its 2c worth of told you so. Turn around, park bike, get cage and get to work.
This is a very long-winded failure report - sorry!
Anyone else ever experience similar sequence/problem?
BTW, the flashing ABS light is probably not a fault code in this instance. It just flashes on and off like a regular indicator light.