Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha Dealer Experience  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Dwerg

Yamaha Dealer Experience
« on: January 02, 2019, 10:04:46 am »
How do you guys find the dealership experience especially servicing? I service my commuter at least 3 times a year so it's a major consideration when buying. I was at Linex this week and I was already impressed by the sales staff. I've been considering a certain Yamaha commuter for a while now but got spoilt with BMW and loan bike and I'm hesitant to change. Creature of habit and all. I don't even like going to a new pub let alone buying a new bike brand
Wise Web Worx

Honda: CRF230 x 2, CRF450X, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail; BMW: G450X, F800GS, F650GS Twin, F650GS Single, R50/2; KTM: 250XCW, 690R RS, 640ADV, 950ADV; Yamaha: BWS x 2, Chappy

Offline 2StrokeDan

Re: Yamaha Dealer Experience
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 04:46:42 pm »
Brand-wise you have not done badly over the last few years, with GS, 690, Yamaha BWS, etc. :pot:

Cannot say about dealers, especially your side of the country.

Can say a lot for the YAMAHA brand though.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 05:01:51 pm »
Down here in Slaapstad methinks Yamaha is one of the best dealers.

Doubt you can go wrong with them.

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:04:24 pm »

What I can say, and it won't help Dwerg, is that Yamaha has in Jan Ryan in Somerset west one of the best part guys I have ever come across.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 05:41:41 pm »

What I can say, and it won't help Dwerg, is that Yamaha has in Jan Ryan in Somerset west one of the best part guys I have ever come across.

I really don't know why Cape Town can't get decent dealer support. BMW and Yamaha are probably the best of the bunch and Honda tries but I had a Honda and the service was still pretty kak. Do we even have a Suzuki dealership? Suzuki South still a thing? I tried buying a GSXR from them years ago but they weren't interested in selling bikes.

Never heard bad things from Kawasaki but the same can't be said of KTM...

The Thruxton has been put on hold till Triumph opens their BMW killing "lifestyle centre" in Cape Town but never understood why dealers, in general, are so kak down here.

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 05:57:07 pm »
Dwerg, I've had a Yamaha for 7 years now. Used both Shimwells and Linex for services. My experience has been better with Linex, in fact pretty good. Shimwells made some schoolboy errors...

Offline TheBear

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 08:22:44 pm »
How do you guys find the dealership experience especially servicing? I service my commuter at least 3 times a year so it's a major consideration when buying. I was at Linex this week and I was already impressed by the sales staff. I've been considering a certain Yamaha commuter for a while now but got spoilt with BMW and loan bike and I'm hesitant to change. Creature of habit and all. I don't even like going to a new pub let alone buying a new bike brand

I haven't had a Yamaha fro some years and the last was a Raptor quad.  I found Linex to be the best of the ones I tried in Gauteng and on par with BMW dealerships.  A work colleague with a S10 also sing their praises.  Only issue I can see is, no loan bikes.  That is a huge pain in the posterior.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline darthvader

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 08:28:12 pm »
I like KTM more and more these days - I have received good service from them.

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:22:08 am »

This is a YAMAHA thread............Go away! :pot: :pot: :pot:

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 09:48:29 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Of course another consideration is that most brands now have 15k plus service intervals and Yammies are still on 10. That's 2 services vs 3 per year.

But still, out of all the sports tourers, the Yamaha's are the ones that I keep coming back to.

Dwerg, I've had a Yamaha for 7 years now. Used both Shimwells and Linex for services. My experience has been better with Linex, in fact pretty good. Shimwells made some schoolboy errors...

Thanks pretty much confirms what I thought :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:48:59 am by Dwerg »
Wise Web Worx

Honda: CRF230 x 2, CRF450X, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail; BMW: G450X, F800GS, F650GS Twin, F650GS Single, R50/2; KTM: 250XCW, 690R RS, 640ADV, 950ADV; Yamaha: BWS x 2, Chappy

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 09:55:00 am »

Interesting! I deal with Shimwells in Boksburg quite regularly and have always had brilliant serrvices from them - they even went and fetched me an urgent part from Springs some time back when I couldnt get there. If i didnt live close to them, i would probably use Linex - they have given good service too - I bought a Macna jacket from them some years ago and a zip failed on a pocket - they repaired the zip (replaced) at no charge....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 09:59:29 am »

Can't complain (too much) and there will probably always be a KTM in my garage. But as a high mileage commuter, they've never featured on my short list.
Wise Web Worx

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 10:16:49 am »

Fuzzy is seker een van die beste Yamaha spares manne wat daar in die Kaap is/was. :deal: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 10:21:32 am »

Interesting! I deal with Shimwells in Boksburg quite regularly and have always had brilliant serrvices from them - they even went and fetched me an urgent part from Springs some time back when I couldnt get there. If i didnt live close to them, i would probably use Linex - they have given good service too - I bought a Macna jacket from them some years ago and a zip failed on a pocket - they repaired the zip (replaced) at no charge....

CT, that's just the thing with getting feedback from individuals: one person's experience is unlikely to give a true reflection of the total service provided by a company. Jules also had only good things to say about Shimwells. For me, fitting a front wheel the wrong way round (which is difficult on a 660Z, due to it being asymmetric) kinda made it difficult for me to trust them again.  I wouldn't be surprised if some individuals may have had issues with Linex. One shouldn't read too much into it - both have generally good reputations from what I can figure out.

And, just a bit off-topic, it was a Yamaha meccie who fixed my 1200GS's leaking fork seals, after BMW had installed them wrong way round... Things always happen.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 12:04:31 pm »
All I know is you can still buy Yamaha parts for 1984 bikes of the shelf and if no stock 2 days from Pinetown. My Suzuki days they never had anything in stock.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 05:23:48 pm »
Moeilike vraag, mense se standaarde en verwysing raamwerk verskil so breed soos die heelal. Ek hoop jy kry diens wat jou bly maak.
Dwerg watter model boney  oorweeg jy hmmm?
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 06:29:21 pm »
Moeilike vraag, mense se standaarde en verwysing raamwerk verskil so breed soos die heelal. Ek hoop jy kry diens wat jou bly maak.
Dwerg watter model boney  oorweeg jy hmmm?

Ja standaarde verskil en soos roxenz ook ges het dis maar persoonlik.

Ek kyk al lank na n Tracer beide die 900 en 700. Die 7 pas my soos n handskoen veral met die lekker lae sitplek vir elke dag. Op die einde van die dag gaan ek seker steeds n KTM koop
Wise Web Worx

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 02:39:17 pm »

CT, that's just the thing with getting feedback from individuals: one person's experience is unlikely to give a true reflection of the total service provided by a company. Jules also had only good things to say about Shimwells. For me, fitting a front wheel the wrong way round (which is difficult on a 660Z, due to it being asymmetric) kinda made it difficult for me to trust them again.  I wouldn't be surprised if some individuals may have had issues with Linex. One shouldn't read too much into it - both have generally good reputations from what I can figure out.

And, just a bit off-topic, it was a Yamaha meccie who fixed my 1200GS's leaking fork seals, after BMW had installed them wrong way round... Things always happen.

Exactly - And Shiwells is way off-line for the OP's options - Linex is a better bet anyway....
And BMW service centres are the same - I had horrific service at the shop in Rosebank, and find Auto Alpina brilliant!
Lines does have a better range of accessories and clothing than Shimwells too.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Jaakmh

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 01:47:52 pm »
Sorry to say that Droomers in Bellville has never impressed me. Stopped there a few times and they hardly lift their heads to greet. If you can not even greet a potential customer then WTF are you doing in sales ?
Stofpad!

Offline Gideonds

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 11:59:11 pm »
Droomers Bellville service suck.  Salesmen not very helpfull. Had a very bad experience with them. I now order my Yamaha parts elsewhere.
Live life to the extreme