Bronkhostspruit DAM recce

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stroom

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Date:  5 October 2008
Day:  Sunday
Weather:  Sunny with light wind
Journey time:  6.5 HOURS!!!
Distance:  295 km
Route: service roads, Highveld high speed gravel, single tracks (i think i went a couple of time through private propery.  Sorry)

Detail:  This recce is forming part of a bigger bronkhostspruit Dam ride that i am planning.  Good thing i did not post the recce as i had to backtrack 8 times due to locked gates and fences that just run accross the road.  although it is all part of the RECCE it really started to get me onder.. :eek:  you have this beatiful road and a big fence stating private propery running over it.  it did cross my mind to use the pliers, but rather not  :mwink:.  So the next best thing was to ask permission (on a sunday afternoon at 14h30 while die boer is taking his afternoon nap, i don't think so. ) :3some:
With this thought in mind everytime i crossed a road or track that looks like it belongs to someone else i wait for the gunshot to run past my lid  :3some:

After i connected to a major road and look back, there is a NO ENTRY sign.  well it did not show it from the other side...... :peepwall:

The end result is that half the route that i planned needs to be reccied again since i cannot take the chance again and we will most probably get shot.  :mwink:  To ask permission which one should do will take forever since you don't know who the land belongs to.  I still have to reccie the return route from the dam since my time started running out. 

BTW - the entire dam is almost closed off and you need to pay everywhere to get in.  some places don't allow a bike and this you have to park it at the gate.  :xxbah:
i understand this as lighties always make a raced when on quads in a campsite, but comeone, my baby is a german sedan and don't fall into this category.
There is no fuel available and you have to ride to bronkhostpruit to get it.  luckely around the corner as i had 46 km left in the tank....

I appologise for any farmers who's land i crossed without permission, but in 1995 (maps for blazes  :thumleft:)(he did worn me about this!! :deal:) those roads where semi public.  What i did manage is to ask the local farm workers if i could use the road.  which i had a 99% yes most of the time.  still they do not own the land and the farmer don't know they said so.  i will most probably be resonsible for more of the NO ENTRY signs after this.

Still i had a awsome ride and enjoyed the outing.  what riding is about.

Be friendly to the locals and they always help.  :thumleft:

Attached some pics. 

Attachments

• DSCF1706.JPG
    DSCF1706.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF1712.JPG
    DSCF1712.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 141