Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Man going through revolving door naked bound to Bangkok... or ride in Thailand  (Read 1526 times)

Offline tifua

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
End of  long year with many challenges and changes including work, country, divorce. Needed to get away and do some serious riding as i have not had chance to ride for a few months with work. Looked at various options and wanted to ride in Asia so myself, the gf and two friends decided we would ride northern Thailand. Chance to explore the country, get away and most importantly...ride! December is not the easiest time (or cheapest) to book trips but with the gf in Indonesia working her magic and bargain hunting while I worked on the route, it started slowly coming together. Our two friends were not able to commit until 2 weeks before because of the short notice so some of our travel routes would differ. I would also fly onto Jakarta with the gf to spend time there.

Date of departure would be 19 December. We would find bikes when we got there and weather forecasts looked good. So the plan is

- Meet up in OR Tambo, fly to Bangkok
- Explore Bangkok for few days
- Get to Chiang Mai, rent bikes, ride
- Get back to Bangkok for New Years
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:14:05 am by tifua »
Love your life. Take pictures of everything. Tell people you love them. Talk to random strangers. Do things you're scared to do. So many of us die without remembering all the little moments. Take your life and make it the best story ever.

The following users thanked this post: GIDEON

Offline Vintage_Mania

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
Flight to Bangkok was uneventful. We flew SAA to Hong Kong and then connecting flight to Bangkok. We got sim cards, caught the sky train to city and checked in. Time to adjust and acclimatize to humidity while we wait for my gf to fly in from Jakarta
Love your life. Take pictures of everything. Tell people you love them. Talk to random strangers. Do things you're scared to do. So many of us die without remembering all the little moments. Take your life and make it the best story ever.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
We decided early on to focus this trip on riding and not go for the all the tourist sites. We would focus on the road and a few key places and make the ride the adventure. We wanted to cover a large distance so stopping all over would not help. We used time in Bangkok to be tourists. I used Grab motorcycle (Like Uber but cheaper and a lot more efficient... besides Uber is out of Asia). Nice chance to explore the city and get head of traffic. We caught a Tuk Tuk back to hotel and my mrs introduced me to all the street foods

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
 :ricky:
Hierdie klink exciting
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
Day of departure came to get to Chiang Mai. Mrs and I would catch 12 hour overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai while G & R would fly the next day. We would both arrive about same time and get to our hotel, check in then go shop around the bike rentals until we found 3 bikes that suited our needs. We would then go get lunch and do a short ride through the mountains to check bikes out before leaving Chiang Mai on our long trip. We looked at several shops and bikes and eventually settled on a CTX750, NC7500X and a CB500X for myself. Dinner we went out to small roadside diner and tried local

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
The orientation ride route...look at the corners...so many and as we would find out in the next few days this was only the start
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:38:07 am by tifua »

Online Matewis

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Subscribe
“Don’t go where the path my lead…  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
Day 1 of the actual ride... Chiang Mai to Mae Sariang. We started off on the highway to find our rhythm. After refueling and turning off the freeway the curves started. All the way to the highest point in Thailand. The roads got higher and higher, the air cooler and the curves started but they were your Sani kind of roads. After light snacks we checked out the Great Holy Relics Pagoda before our ride down the mountain towards the small town of Mae Sariang for the night.... and the roads got tighter with switch backs and bends that never seem to end. Thailand offers the most incredible roads in the world (imo) and the roads are stunning. Their worst roads beat our best in condition.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
more pics

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
still traveling in Indonesia so will carry on with the ride report shortly.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
The route for the next day ride would be Mae Sariang to the town of Pai. Put fuel in and got some snacks for the day. Beautiful forest roads, sweepers, switch backs, valleys, riverfronts, small towns, villages. Imagine Sani pass mixed with the garden route and then add some of valley of 1000 hills. Such a peaceful ride but Pai is a tourist trap. Every single hippee, gap year student, drop out, flower child wannabee and monk trainee was there. Its like Thailand empty all its tourists into one town and we walked in middle of it. We checked into our hotel, grabbed some street food and headed to bed still reliving the ride.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:23:58 pm by tifua »

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
Next day our route was from Pai to overnight stop midway to the Golden Triangle with quick stop at historical WWII bridge. Quick breakfast at hotel, stop at bike shop to get the 3 bikes chains adjusted and lubed (all 3 bikes and we had we bought the chain lube, total bill was 140 Baht about R80.00 with lube included). Open roads again and the the route into where we would be having lunch next to rapids had descents that I thought would cook my brakes. Will try upload videos of it but even those dont do it justice. I used engine braking and used both front and back just to keep the bike under control these descents. I think the one was around 40-45 degrees. Bottom of the valley road ran next to river with rapids and this is part of Thailand has a lot of white water rafting for tourists. Stunning forest road winding left and right along the river. After coming out of onto onto one of Thailand's most famous bikers roads, route 1001. Long sweepers and straights to get some speed out of your system. Branching off we followed a mountain road overlooking a beautiful dam before the last 2.5 hours of riding down descents that are equivalent of Sani pass but tarred. Arrived after sunset, tired but feeling alive and happy. Each day got better and better. The roads. Incredible and there are actually people sweeping corners of debris and sand so each corner opens up to another.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
more

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
So beautiful!! Enjoy the rest of the trip :ricky:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
Early morning breakfast, watching parade in front of hotel and a ride in cold mist for first hour. Turning off the main road, winding up the hill and next thing we broke through the cloud cover and sat looking over a beautiful dam. Then the winding road through mountains farms and small dams. Easy ride for the morning. as we headed into the afternoon, we started to find the winding roads again. You need to see these roads for yourself. The views left and right as you ride higher and higher and higher into mountains. At one point (according to maps) our mountain path took us inside Burma boundaries. Before our descent we stopped at  mountain side village with the most epic views of the valley and escarpment below. Entering the busy town of Mae Sai (lots of cars heading from Thailand into Burma with shopping) so busy customs port. We took dirt roads along the border and headed in the direction of our stop for the night. With darkness setting in, we jumped onto the highway and made up some time. Golden Triangle (where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar) where the meet.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
more

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
more

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
Day 5. Woke up in pouring rain. Got rain coats, fueled up and began long ride for the day. Had to jump on highway for a bit after passing through farmlands and small villages. Rain catching up from behind so jumped onto highway and made up some time. Quick spicy soup at a road side stop and then onto the famous 1148 highway. Ranked in the top 10 motorcycle roads in the road and after first 60 seconds you know why. It goes on and on and on and on....and on. The most incredible piece of tar i have ever ridden on in all my years. At the end of the ride pulling into police station... gf and I just looked at each other. She is new to bike riding but even she realized what an epic experience we had just gone through.

Offline tifua

• 2008 R1200GSA (Stolen)
more