Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….  (Read 6948 times)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2019, 09:46:13 am »
So, to explain the Doff-ness of me, lets investigate....

I had the oil leak from the final drive/countershaft area, so yesterday I stripped off the cover and removed the drive sprocket, the back looks like this....

So the indication is there that oil is spraying up from the shaft, so we know where the oil is coming from...

Upon investigation we see this....

The mechanically able will recognise that the silver ring is the seal on the internal bearing and between us and that, there should be a seal.....

So you can deduct why the Doff is mentioned....

Searched my parts bins and discovered....

And then had to face my own stupidity, not once, not twice, but thrice!
I obviously fitted the bearings in the engine case, with the view that I would install the seal when the engine was assembled and I could turn it over, 2nd in-attentive moment would have been when I installed the drive sprocket, surely I should have seen the lack of seal then? And thirdly, when I was cleaning up and saw a sealed packet of seals (I ordered 2), I should have asked the question, but no.....

Anyway, after berating myself with beer, I fitted the seal and re-assembled...

Embarrassing is what it is!

:biggrin:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #241 on: May 09, 2019, 09:55:23 am »
So leer 'n mens mos maar  :pot:

Gelukkig was dit 'n eenvoudige oplossing gewees.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #242 on: May 09, 2019, 10:00:45 am »

Ai as dit maar net altyd so eenvoudig was....

Good work mr Turtle!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2019, 10:43:08 am »

Good work mr Turtle!

Makes one feel a little silly though!

On the up-side, I removed the seal on the inside of the bearing to allow oil ingress, but left the outside covered - would have been much worse if not for that! Bear in mind we have ridden a few 100km's already on this, so very little usage - Only noticed it when we finished the ride actually....

This weekend we do fork oil I think - just going to replace it for good measure - no issues, but who knows when last it was done.....

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2019, 10:48:23 am »

Good work mr Turtle!

Makes one feel a little silly though!

On the up-side, I removed the seal on the inside of the bearing to allow oil ingress, but left the outside covered - would have been much worse if not for that! Bear in mind we have ridden a few 100km's already on this, so very little usage - Only noticed it when we finished the ride actually....

This weekend we do fork oil I think - just going to replace it for good measure - no issues, but who knows when last it was done.....

:lol8: :lol8: Turtle just for info, on my R1150GS gearbox all of the main gearbox bearings are double sealed, they do not run in the gearbox oil.  :thumleft: 8)
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2019, 11:26:01 am »
:lol8: :lol8: Turtle just for info, on my R1150GS gearbox all of the main gearbox bearings are double sealed, they do not run in the gearbox oil.  :thumleft: 8)

Ian - we had this discussion, Halfdaft and I, about whether to leave the seals in or not, the bearings are pre-greased as we know.

In the end I opened them up on the theory that they would benefit from being exposed to the circulating oil - downside is that if there was a component failure in the engine, they would get the shrapnel as well - but as the OEM bearings are all open, I decided to go with it, except where the one side was a shaft exiting the box....

Maybe flawed logic, but it's my own!  :biggrin:

But i am loving the bike.....

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2019, 11:41:33 am »

Ian - we had this discussion, Halfdaft and I, about whether to leave the seals in or not, the bearings are pre-greased as we know.

In the end I opened them up on the theory that they would benefit from being exposed to the circulating oil - downside is that if there was a component failure in the engine, they would get the shrapnel as well - but as the OEM bearings are all open, I decided to go with it, except where the one side was a shaft exiting the box....

Maybe flawed logic, but it's my own!  :biggrin:

But i am loving the bike.....

No issue, was just mentioning it.  :biggrin:

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2019, 12:28:24 pm »
So no problematic wear on the output shaft then. That's a bonus!!!
On the front shock. To stiffen it up a bit, Martin from MP Valve in Cape Town uses slightly thicker oil, or just a few mm more. To make it 10% stiffer he would shorten the spring by one turn, and manufacture a plastic spacer to take up the slack.
my 2c...
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Piet

« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2019, 12:35:15 pm »
So, to explain the Doff-ness of me, lets investigate....

I had the oil leak from the final drive/countershaft area, so yesterday I stripped off the cover and removed the drive sprocket, the back looks like this....

So the indication is there that oil is spraying up from the shaft, so we know where the oil is coming from...

Upon investigation we see this....

The mechanically able will recognise that the silver ring is the seal on the internal bearing and between us and that, there should be a seal.....

So you can deduct why the Doff is mentioned....

Searched my parts bins and discovered....

And then had to face my own stupidity, not once, not twice, but thrice!
I obviously fitted the bearings in the engine case, with the view that I would install the seal when the engine was assembled and I could turn it over, 2nd in-attentive moment would have been when I installed the drive sprocket, surely I should have seen the lack of seal then? And thirdly, when I was cleaning up and saw a sealed packet of seals (I ordered 2), I should have asked the question, but no.....

Anyway, after berating myself with beer, I fitted the seal and re-assembled...

Embarrassing is what it is!

:biggrin:
:imaposer: Yes, I guess one should confirm that it is IN PLACE before considering REPLACING it.

I'm so glad that it was a simple fix and that you caught it in time!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:37:32 pm by Piet »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #249 on: May 09, 2019, 12:38:14 pm »
On the front shock. To stiffen it up a bit, Martin from MP Valve in Cape Town uses slightly thicker oil, or just a few mm more. To make it 10% stiffer he would shorten the spring by one turn, and manufacture a plastic spacer to take up the slack.
my 2c...

Yup - I tried to get hold of MP regarding my rear shock (its too light for my Unique Physique) but after more than a few months trying I gave up. BlingKing is getting me a new spring.
The specified oil is a 7.5-Weight, and I have 10-weight at home, so the plan is to mix up a batch, maybe make it more 8-weight than 7.5-weight..... and add 3mm more....  :biggrin:
Realistically, the front is not actually the problem, but the back is bottoming out too easily. its a 122Nm spring, so going up to a 140Nm but same length (trying to get a longer one as well)
We shall see!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2019, 12:39:44 pm »
Ok so one cam bucket shim, one oil seal, any other extra parts left over?  ::)  :imaposer:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2019, 12:40:03 pm »
:imaposer: Yes, I guess one should confirm that it is IN PLACE before considering REPLACING it.
[/quote]

You see now.

My defense is that it's out of view behind the sprocket.

:imaposer:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2019, 12:41:03 pm »
Ok so one cam bucket shim, one oil seal, any other extra parts left over?  ::)  :imaposer:

I REALLY dont think there is any need to making a tally here....

Move along.....

Nothing to see....

But I will check.....  :biggrin:

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2019, 12:50:20 pm »
my 2c...

Yup - I tried to get hold of MP regarding my rear shock (its too light for my Unique Physique) but after more than a few months trying I gave up. BlingKing is getting me a new spring.
The specified oil is a 7.5-Weight, and I have 10-weight at home, so the plan is to mix up a batch, maybe make it more 8-weight than 7.5-weight..... and add 3mm more....  :biggrin:
Realistically, the front is not actually the problem, but the back is bottoming out too easily. its a 122Nm spring, so going up to a 140Nm but same length (trying to get a longer one as well)
We shall see!
Martin did the same for the rear suspension on my Honda CRF230F. He removed a full turn? of the back suspension, fitted a plastic spacer and assembled after servicing. Now the rear suspension extends fully unladen and is a bit firmer when ridden.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2019, 09:29:11 am »
OK, so I got in a few hours on Saturday - First of all, this arrived....

And were summarily installed.... PRETTY!!!

Next up was replacing the fork oil - I bought Motul 10W & 5W and mixed them 50/50 for a W7.5....

One at a time, keeping order....

The forks have not been installed as yet as I want to remove the top triple clamp with a view to getting a plate lazer-cut to install a steering damper, and to sort out the hoer-nes thats the wiring behind the gauges.....

Also, @Halfdaft is busy making up a bracket to hold the 5-litre fuel tank I bought recently....

More farkles to follow.....

Offline Supervan

« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2019, 08:58:05 am »

Next up was replacing the fork oil - I bought Motul 10W & 5W and mixed them 50/50 for a W7.5....

The forks have not been installed as yet as I want to remove the top triple clamp with a view to getting a plate lazer-cut to install a steering damper, and to sort out the hoer-nes thats the wiring behind the gauges.....

Also, @Halfdaft is busy making up a bracket to hold the 5-litre fuel tank I bought recently....

I would really like a write-up on the fork oil replacement. My XCountry is on 45000km and I think it is time, but I am shit scared that something is going to go booooing through my arm and into the roof. How did they always say on Top Gear: "Ambitious but shit." Kinda sums up the situation with me regarding the shock oil replacement.
Freedom is directly proportional to risk.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2019, 10:15:15 am »

I would really like a write-up on the fork oil replacement. My XCountry is on 45000km and I think it is time, but I am shit scared that something is going to go booooing through my arm and into the roof. How did they always say on Top Gear: "Ambitious but shit." Kinda sums up the situation with me regarding the shock oil replacement.

Very easy to do - Nothing is under pressure, so nothing flies around.

PM me your email and I will see if i can download the section of the RepROM file and mail it to you. If you can swing a spanner, you can do this - take your time, follow the steps and it can be done.

Hoping my new rear spring arrives today, we are riding on Sunday!

The following users thanked this post: Supervan

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #257 on: May 21, 2019, 11:44:09 am »
So a few bits are happening, along with the fuel cell range extender, chief of which is the addition of a Scotts Dampener, but unfortunately there is no "plug 7 play" option for the X-challenge, so innovation was required, along with design, prototyping, and modification - @Halfdaft would get a load more done if he didn't have my problems in his life....  :thumleft: Thank you Richard!

So first up was the removal of the top triple-clamp, and then the old-fashioned pencil & paper version of CAD to get the initial drawings dimensionally accurate,

To achieve something like this...

Then off to HalfDaft to do this

and this is the resultant prototype in-situ - we have procured aluminium block to machine the end result once the prototype is confirmed accurate and correct....

Its 12mm thick 3D printed plastic - this will give us a good idea of what mods need to be done before it goes to machining.....

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #258 on: May 21, 2019, 11:49:37 am »
Also, on Friday morning, @BlingKing contacted me to advise the new Wilbers spring had arrived - better suited to my Unique Physique....

Old Spring...

New Bling!!

Installation was pretty straight-forward, off with the rear wheel, undo the 2 compression ring-nuts to take the pressure off the spring, remove the bottom bolt (who designed it so that there is a cap-screw some 40mm down inside a blind hole so that you battle to get it out...?), remove the C-washer from the bottom of the shock and slide the spring out from underneath - reverse to install!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:50:33 am by ClimbingTurtle »

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #259 on: May 21, 2019, 12:10:53 pm »
Might be a tad easier to have that plate waterjet or laser cut than to machine?